Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my first bow this fall (second hand Hoyt Magnatec), and my winter project was to slowly get it shooting ready. I got some replacement skirts for fishing lures to use as cat whiskers, I was just curious how many sets I should put on and where to place them. I currently have 2 on the string as close to the cam&pulley as possible and one on my cable.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,829 Posts
I recommend only using one set on top, and one on the bottom of your string. Tie them next to the end servings on the strings, as far out on the string as you can get but not on the servings themselves.

Tie them into balls. Kind of awkward at first, but you will get the hang of it. There are some youtube videos that can be pulled up with a google search, or do a search on here and you will find them.

Basically, take half a set at a time, put one side folded up, the other folded down. You can use a paper clip if you cannot find someone to help hold them, or a pair of hemostats.

Then using some serving thread, or equivalent, tie it off and wrap it as hard as you possibly can. I pull so hard that it cuts my fingers some times. Some folks use gloves but I can't work well with them on.

When you pull the thread really hard, it will tend to flair out the ends of the rubber some. Then you take a pair of scissors, cut the folded ends, pull out on the ends like someone cutting hair, until you get them all cut.

After that, you can then cut them down to size. I recommend you keep the ball somewhat smaller as it will help retain speed.

Here is a good example of what I'm referring to.

Good luck.

Skeet.

·
Live Life To The Fullest
5,533 Posts
Man I can never get mine to look like that! Looks good Skeet

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
I have just two on the string for my 3D bows, but on my hunting bows I go a little further:teeth:
I just like the way they look:shade:
Tie them just like Skeet say's and they will look good.

Kev

Attachments

·
The Impartial Archer
17,596 Posts
I just serve the whole thing mine on….they work fine that way too.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, those were the answers I was looking for. Skeet, the ones I made don't look anywhere near as good as those! Kev, I'm with you, I really like the look of them and I'd like my bow to be as quiet as possible.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Top and bottom like Skeet showed is the usual but on my Hoyt, the top one had to come off. Whenever you shoot, the rubber whips out then back and it was eating up my yoke.

Mine are tight little balls like Skeet's but that didn't matter. There was no place to put the top one that got it far enough out of the way. I would have had to move it way down almost to my peep before it was in a safe place.

But it really didn't make any difference in noise level when I took it off. I probably don't even need the bottom one but I left it anyway. My Hoyt is really quiet even without whiskers.

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Just about any archery store, local or online. They come in a little plastic bag and are in kind of a sheet. You pull them apart at a specific point, etc. Good directions are different places on AT.

·
GO UTES!!! ml_lm
8,076 Posts
Here are some whiskers on my Matrix, pretty sure that I don't "need" them and they're probably robbing a bit of speed...but oh well, they do their job.

·
Anti Fanboy
41,829 Posts
I've shot my bows through my chrono with and without whisker balls. You will lose a few fps but they work well for reducing noise and vibration. So I keep mine small whenever I use them.

As far as how to get them to look so well, I have my wife hold them on the string and she puts her finger on the serving string so I can tie a tighter knot. It's difficult for me to tie as good of looking whisker ball by myself. But I have done so a few times.

I use #3D BCY thread. It takes a lot of force to get it real tight, but well worth it.

Skeet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts