Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of the dealers on here break dz packs of arrows to sell 1/2 dz or even less than half dz's.

I only sell Dz qtys and sometimes I have people come in and want 6 or less arrows. I have found in the past that breaking arrows only made it harder to keep accurate stock. You go to sell a dz arrows and there is only 6 in the box, and now you have to grab another 6 arrows out of another box and the fletching doesnt match. I just made things to crazy during the busy season.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
Most manuf. offer packaged 1/2 doz's. Wouldn't it be easier to stock a couple of those rather than break your doz packages? Personally, I only buy by the dozen, after all, I'm gonna use 'em sooner or later anyway. Besides, I can be pretty rough on arrows so I like to make sure I've got plenty.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
i think you need to sell "halfs". your die-hards will always buy a dozen, but the guys who are just fartin around until the gun season opens will want "halfs". we sold a lot to those guys.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
nccrutch said:
i think you need to sell "halfs". your die-hards will always buy a dozen, but the guys who are just fartin around until the gun season opens will want "halfs". we sold a lot to those guys.

or the guys that cant afford to buy a dozen at a time :embara:

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
I was in our local shop lastyear when 2 guys came in and asked the owner for 2 carbon arrows. They shot aluminum and werent sure if they would like carbon so they only wanted one each. The owner politely told them that he only sells them as low as 6.

·
Martin Pro Staff
1,804 Posts
we buy Easton arrows by the 100s so we sell any and all arrows and/or shafts by the singles, 1/2 dzs and dz.

ever how many you want, you can get.

No problems.

·
Registered
945 Posts
If I want to try some arrows I never buy a dozen, my shop has no problem selling me three, or one if I wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
We have no problem with selling half dozens.What we do is once we sell a half,the next person must take the remaining half or wait for us to make color of their choice.Most people take the half already made up with no problem.I think you should realize that many times someone wants to try a different arrow size or switch from aluminum to carbon.I personaly would not want to buy 12 and find out I dont like them or am not happy with the performance.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I think it depends on the type of arrow. I would say for a garden varity of hunting arrows then you should have a big box and buy what you need. If a guy come in and wants some 2613's then I would probably not sell them any less than half dozen.

If you don't break dozens, you certainly would loose my business.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm not fartin' around..

nccrutch said:

I consider myself a very serious archer, but sometimes I can only afford a half dozen.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
great info guys, Just trying to figure out the best way to offer it without messing up the stock issues. before when I offered splitting a dz arrows it was a nightmare, the customer that only needed 6 arrows would be back in 2 weeks and ask for another 6 arrows same color fletch. And wouldnt you know I would have the correct arrows wrong fletch, and during the busy season when you service close to 150 bows it doesnt leave alot of time doing custom fletch colors. By going to dz only it got rid of a lot of problem and the customers didnt seem to mind, I only have maybe 3 or 5 customer the season complain about it.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Breaking manufacturer sorted dozens could also lead to other problems imo.

Usually, arrow manufacturers sort their dozens by weight. Breaking a wrapped dozen could lead to mixed batches which might mean that some guy will walk away with 2 batches of 6 that weigh a bit differently. Or worse...

It's because of this reason I prefer to always buy my arrows in wrapped dozens, regardless of how many I need at the time. I could always sell the ones I don't need on AT. :wink:

·
Registered
249 Posts
most of the time we sell half dz at a slightly higher price than a whole dz but in the end selling both dz and half dozen you ultimately sell them all so i dont see what the argument would be . making money is what its about and i am not turning away a person that wants to buy half a dz .

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sold by whatever qty, but also whatever color

All places I have been allow broke down any qty. But I agree that it sold by whatever color is in stock. If they insist on same color then charge them to refletch.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Where I shoot, they buy stock made arrows in a set colors and have for years. If you want different colors, they will accomodate you if you buy a dozen. So from one year to the next you can get the same fletching even if you are buying a few. Seems to work.

Same for feathers.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Where I buy mine (Londero sports) I get a half dozen ... and they build them right there. If I'm in a hurry and don't want to wait ... I phone ahead. I didn't see any already made up when I was there last.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
bcriner said:
we buy Easton arrows by the 100s so we sell any and all arrows and/or shafts by the singles, 1/2 dzs and dz.

ever how many you want, you can get.

No problems.
Do you ship arrows?

·
Registered
PRO SHOP OWNER BOWTECH MATHEWS
3,058 Posts
i stock very few fletched arrows . i make them to there colors . but i sell in 3/6/9/12 qtys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts