Archery Talk Forum banner

How many have shot deer in the rain

890 Views 16 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  phf
Wanted to how many of you have shot deer in the rain post some pics
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
I have never shot a deer in outright rain, but the best buck I've ever killed (the one I use for my avatar) was in a very heavy mist. Foggy, misty, cloudy weather is some of my favorite weather to hunt.

· Registered
8,309 Posts
A light to moderate rain helps in that:

1. Your scent is less likely to reach your quarry.

2. Your noise/movement in somewhat muffled.

3. There are less hunters in the woods/fields.

4. Deer still move.

5. Of the 6 Boone & Crockett bucks I have seen in the wild....3 were moving in the rain.

· Registered
5,106 Posts
I have seen and taken some of my best bucks in light rain. In fact, I see a higher percentage of bucks on these days.
Dan

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Yes I have. 3 of them I lost ones blood trail and did not find it before it was ruined the next day.I almost lost one just happened to find it on our last circle of the evening.And The other fell in site .I will not hunt the rain agin with a bow!

· Registered
498 Posts
I won't hunt in a downpour, but a lite rain no problem. My understanding is the bucks need to refresh their scrapes more often because of the rain, that's why they are more active during that time.
Beautiful buck TrapHuntFish!

· Registered
1,503 Posts
Wanted to how many of you have shot deer in the rain post some pics

Do elk count?

Got this one in moderate rain which then turned into a down pour. Slick Trick BH's still left an awesome bloodtrail from the entrance hole only.

In NM I tend to see more big game activity when it rains.

Attachments

· Registered
360 Posts
killed many deer during a light rain or just after a hard downpour, killed this doe last year on public land after a night of 35 degree hard rain. Caught her slipping out of a bedding area only 10 minutes after the rain let up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.