Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in WV. and hear all kinds of answers. Im also curious how far he will go when just looking for does.

Thanks in advance on all who respond!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
We've had pics of some about 3 miles apart, not saying thats common but have seen it on a couple of occasions that I can verify

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
In studies with radio collared deer it was normal for some to go 7-10 miles during the rut, but the majority stayed in a 3 mile area.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
i shot a buck with an unusual rack, very recognizable. my buddy saw him 3 miles(as the crow flies) away the previous day.

·
Guipago
3,090 Posts
I have pics of a 10pt. That my friend has on cam 3 miles away. I do know of one buck that was shot with a bow and finally killed 7-8 miles away by another bowhunter.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Maybe someone else remembers the article but I remember a NAW article that had a big buck killed during the rut. There was a cam pic the night before the buck was killed and it had travelled several miles within hours to the spot it was shot. They posted the trail cam pic date stamped.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Most biologist agree that a whitetail bucks typical range is 5 square miles, even during the rut.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You will find all sorts of answers on this topic. I think that in areas of high deer numbers...deer won't have to travel that far during the rut because there are more does in that immediate area. Where deer numbers are lower, those bucks will travel much further to find the does. Which in some cases could be quite a ways. Just my 2 cents. As you can see from others posting...3-4 miles is fairly common but I wouldn't think 10-15 miles would be out of line for some deer. I know during this late season, there are deer that will travel to a section back home that no one can hunt. My dad saw a good buck living behind a guys house in a small grove and later that year when it got to be late season, he saw that same buck in the section that no one can hunt and that deer had to travel 10 miles to get there. Interesting topic tho for sure

·
Vendor
25,428 Posts
Dude....that doe has antlers! Gross!!!:)
Do it right and I bet ya could knock the antlers off.
To the op. If you lived in a neighborhood with no ladies, how far would you go. If there were hot women around every corner bet ya wouldn't leave. Each area can be different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts