Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, you might think I'm baiting you all here, and you'll probably be right.

Let's see how many still build their own elevated stand and if you don't anymore, how long has it been and why dont' you?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
we have 2 16 foot "gun huts". they are 5' by 5' with a roof and all sides have windows. we can bowhunt out of them as well..we just call them "gun huts"

·
Registered
240 Posts
I assume your talking box blinds when refering to elevated stands and yes. I build mine. I have everything on my place from camo'ed porta johns atop 15' timbers, to 20' pallet racks with enclosed platforms at the top. 3 seasons ago we started building our towers out of round tubing and welding the pre-drilled base on before we stand it up. The roof and sides are all pre-built to a pattern so once the quick crete sets up in the leg holes, each piece can be pulled up one at a time and bolted on. This works well because 2 people can easily set a 18' tower up and assemble the components.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have 3 of them I built. I work in construction & take all the waste I can find in the dumpsters. You would not believe what some throw away, so they do not have to move it around from site to site. The picture of one below was with all thrown away materials, even the double pain windows, shingles, 16' green treated 4x4's, insulation, pad, & carpet. 8'x8" interoir room with 3' x 8' deck on back for easier entry. I also have a 2" tube down out if it buried into sand 3 feet & vented on roof for if you have to #1. Has 12 volt lights with deep cycle battery & solar charger which items I did buy. I know it looks not level but it's the lay of the land. As you may tell not many trees in my neck of woods need stands like this or it's use a telephone pole to mount a stand on.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i built my own tower stand a few years ago its 24 feet tall with an 8x8 room on top complete with carpeting heater windows and office chairs. i rarely hunt out of it unless its raining i built it more for my wife and dad to hunt out of.my wife killed her first buck out of it last year!we used cedar logs as poles poured in concrete its rock solid even in the strongest wind.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
On a property myself and two friends lease we have a permanent natural blind of branches and rocks in front of a boulder and 7 permanent wooden stands. Some of these are not in good spots for archery hunting (I prefer a little mobility) but they are great for the rifle season when everyone chases the deer around to our side of the hill.:wink:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are pretty cool, I wish I had one of those, but what I was really after is guys that still hunt off a platform nailed to the trees.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I still build my own. They are essentially ladder stands built from 2x4s and lagged to the tree with 1/2x8" lags. We never use them for more tha 4 years due to the possibility of decay and of the deer patterning us. at that time they are taken down and used as camp firewood

·
Registered
615 Posts
safetreehunt said:
Those are pretty cool, I wish I had one of those, but what I was really after is guys that still hunt off a platform nailed to the trees.
I have a few of those also where we do have trees. I get a good pallet(ones with oak rails), build bracing to mount to tree. top it with green treated plywood & lag bolt it to a tree.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts