Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........that if you were blindfolded and asked to shoot the Elite Energy 35 and the Elite Synergy side-by-side and set up exactly the same, you could tell the difference? I know I couldn't.

On the topic of Elite, I was in a big archery shop the other day and asked the owner if he was going to pick Elite back up since their popularity is rising. His response was interesting. He said that he had talked with Elite earlier this year and could not come to terms with them. The way I understood him, he would have to sell the Elites for less than he can sell his Hoyts and Mathews for, but would have to pay about $100 more per bow on a wholesale basis. Obviously, that would preclude a good business man from going any farther with that deal.

He also said, you know, their flagship bow this year is basically the same as last year, which doesn't help my sales either. [Hence, my question above regarding the Energy 35 vs the Synergy as I couldn't see much difference at all]. He said that Elites are well made and shoot well, but not any better than a myriad of other modern bows on the market right now. In short, while I personally like Elite bows, I found it hard to argue with his comments.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
so your dealer turned down a dealership or got turned down ?

If it sells, he should pick it up, so what if he doesnt make the same profit per bow ?

If he sells more bows then he would have otherwise and provides a bigger selection for his customers thus bringing his service level up.

I dont see that as a downside at all.

As for your initial question - seriously ?

People want options- options are good for business.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trolling, trolling...
Not intended. Looking for an honest answer to someone who may have shot both bows and reporting on a conversation I had with an owner. I don't need anyone to respond by "bad mouthing" or "trashing" Elite or any other company. I just bought an Elite 35 and like it. I could have paid $200 more and got a Synergy, but I honestly didn't see enough difference to pay the extra money.

May be trolling, but don't need any jerks to bite!

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
Shop owners have their own opinions. Go into 5 shops and hear 5 different opinions on what bow is great and innovative and what bows are stale and hard to sell. Shoot them all and choose the one YOU like.

I noticed a slight difference between the two but I prefer longer ATA bows and like the E35 just as much as I did the Synergy.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds like something a person who sells a myriad of bows besides elites might say.
I honestly don't think the shop owner intended this, and in fact, I agree with him. No doubt he was negatively influenced by his failure to come to agreeable commercial terms with Elite, but in my opinion, he is right on the point about so many good shooting bows out there. Every year or two someone comes up with a new bow and for awhile there is a flood of people saying how fantastic they shoot and blah blah blah - but at least in my area, they never appear on major dealers' shelves. Elite started this way (as they all did at one time or another), but good products and good marketing have established the "brand" and I think they are here to stay. Many of these now "fantastic" bow manufacturers, won't be here in five years.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,111 Posts
They must have done something right since Mathews is trying to do everything they are doing. Cage in risers binary cams you know the drill. A good bow is a good bow and dealers say lots of things especially about bows they don't currently sell :wink:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
so your dealer turned down a dealership or got turned down ?

If it sells, he should pick it up, so what if he doesnt make the same profit per bow ?

If he sells more bows then he would have otherwise and provides a bigger selection for his customers thus bringing his service level up.

I dont see that as a downside at all.

As for your initial question - seriously ?

People want options- options are good for business.
exactly.i agree.increase in traffic is bound to increase business.arrows and other accessories.it'll bring in new money.wider customer base.its good all around

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,111 Posts
If someone blind folded you could you tell the difference in the Last 10 years of Mathews bows while shooting them?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Com pairing the 2 bows is difficult while blindfolded. While the Synergy is nice, it reminds me of an Answer with a E35 riser. Nice bow but I will always go with the longer ata. Hence my E35.

As far as the dealer not stocking Elites, that's too bad. I think having the biggest selection possible is just good business. It becomes a one stop shop. Having all the major brands right there for the buyer to try can only help his business. My dealer carries everything but Mathews, I guess it has something to do with competing with other local Mathews in a certain area. They would love to have them but it's Mathews decision.

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it sells, he should pick it up, so what if he doesnt make the same profit per bow ? On the face of it, that seems logical. However, if Elite put conditions on him that said he had to buy/sell 200 of their bows in a fiscal year or they would not grant him a dealership, maybe he doesn't want to take that risk. I do know that within the last month there have been a lot of "super deals" from dealers trying to get rid of their 2014 Energy 35's. Heck, I bought a brand new one for $625 shipped to my door.

If someone blind folded you could you tell the difference in the Last 10 years of Mathews bows while shooting them? LOL! I doubt it. I've only shot a few Mathews in the last 10 years and the Z7 Extreme and the Creed were the only ones I liked OK. I've owned a few Hoyts over the last 10 years and I'd say that I could sure tell the AlphaMax and the Alphaburner I owned from the Vectrix and the Vector.

·
How`s it going eh?
4,065 Posts
I don't think the point was to make a vastly different bow this year but just to add one to compliment the rest of the line up. I don't own an E series bow but if I had to choose one it would be the synergy because that falls in the ata range that I like.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Could you tell a diffrence between a carbon overdrive and a deystoyer ? Doubt it besides the weight. Goes for a lot of manufacters not just one company.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Blindfolded or not carrying elite helps generate traffic. Traffic generates business. Accessories is where the money is for most shops. As for the bows if you could tell a difference or not the specs are not the same on the two bows an spec options help sell bows as well. We all have different preferences otherwise there would only be one bow that we all shot

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blindfolded or not carrying elite helps generate traffic. Traffic generates business. Accessories is where the money is for most shops. As for the bows if you could tell a difference or not the specs are not the same on the two bows an spec options help sell bows as well. We all have different preferences otherwise there would only be one bow that we all shot
This is a good point for sure. Makes me think harder about what the "deal breaker" was on his negotiations with Elite. I know his shop carried them for awhile in 2011 and 2012, but he could not move them like he could Hoyt and Mathews, so he dropped the line. They've caught on now and with the renewed traction, I guess he decided to try again and it just didn't work. He did say "I know I will lose some people who will drive to Conroe to buy an Elite, but I can live with that."

Oh well, I guess we've (read "I've") beat this horse enough now. Incidentally, I just shot 27 arrows out of my Energy 35 at my 3D targets in the back yard and I'm getting to like the bow more and more.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I honestly don't think the shop owner intended this, and in fact, I agree with him. No doubt he was negatively influenced by his failure to come to agreeable commercial terms with Elite, but in my opinion, he is right on the point about so many good shooting bows out there. Every year or two someone comes up with a new bow and for awhile there is a flood of people saying how fantastic they shoot and blah blah blah - but at least in my area, they never appear on major dealers' shelves. Elite started this way (as they all did at one time or another), but good products and good marketing have established the "brand" and I think they are here to stay. Many of these now "fantastic" bow manufacturers, won't be here in five years.
I think he's right too. There are a lot of different bows and alot of them are very good. Different things appeal to different people. I shot a Darton DS-3800 for four years. Most people don't know anything about Darton, but it is a very fast and nice shooting bow and the owner of Darton developed and patented many of the technologies used by some of the biggest bow names in archery. Just not a lot of marketing behind the Darton brand.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
I felt a bit of a difference between the two, slightly smoother and balance a bit better with the SYN. But I think if guys were to shoot blind-folded the Elites side by side with the "Myriad" of other bows, most guys would leave the shop with the Elite. But that's just me.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts