Archery Talk Forum banner

Have you fallen and how?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year again where everyone is thinking bow hunting and climbing trees. While climbing is great, falling is not. I know, I've done it.

Just wondering how many of you have fallen and what's your story.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I had one of the old climing stands with a band on it slip almost bought the farm on that one i was pretty high it would have definatly left a mark.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
I fell from a 10 foot ladder stand while pruning shooting lanes. Ruined a good pair of underwear and my entrails hurt for 3 days but other than that it was a great experience. After regaining consciousness, I climbed back up and hunted an additional 45 minutes because I'm rugged. I now never leave home without a safety harness, even if I'm just picking coconuts.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Slippy Field said:
I fell from a 10 foot ladder stand while pruning shooting lanes. Ruined a good pair of underwear and my entrails hurt for 3 days but other than that it was a great experience. After regaining consciousness, I climbed back up and hunted an additional 45 minutes because I'm rugged. I now never leave home without a safety harness, even if I'm just picking coconuts.

:ROFLMAO:
Your nut's Slippy (coconuts that is)

·
Registered
396 Posts
lucky ive never fallen...."knock on wood".although i almost fell out of an old buckshot climber...i was climbing and got to my elevation and was turning around and slipped.....dont know i did it,but i bear hugged the tree and squirrelled back in the stand....i also lost a good pair of underwear.

maxx

·
Registered
727 Posts
fell once.

i was climbing a poplar tree with an old loggy , the ones where you bear hug the tree and pull your self up. also older loggy's did not have teeth but rubber grippers. anyway when i reached approx. 15 feet the stand slipped of of tree and my cheap double loop restaint broke and down i went. i was thankfully no worse for the wear but my right size 12 caved in the platform .:cry: i did learn a great lesson. buy a summit and use a full body harness...........be careful this year and always wear your harness.......tim

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Slippy Field said:
Damn, now my entrails hurt from laughing.

Thank God my underwear is still clean. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fell/slid down a tree while installing strap on steps. Luckily, I was only about 4 feet off the ground at the time. The only damage was a scrape down my side from one of the steps I'd already installed. I never connect my linesmans belt until I'm connecting the 4th strap which puts my feet at about 6ft off the ground. From then on I'm strapped on. I guess I didn't learn because I still do things the same way.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I fell coming down from about 25'. I fell the entire way down. I basically missed a step and down I went. I was knocked unconcious, had a concussion, two seperated shoulders, internal bleeding, hematoma on my left side, internal bleeding and two large cuts on my right side. I also had up to five broken ribs and a broken left wrist. took me about a year to completely recover. good thing I was hunting with my buddy, bad news was he had deer under him, we didn't have walkie talkies, and he didn't hear me beeping the horn. I waited for a good 20 mins in the truck...that was about five years ago.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I fell coming down from a stand after hanging it. Used the belt setting the steps on the way up, while hanging the stand and setting it on the tree.

Left it up there while I climbed down, to hook on the bow and put camo shirt on.

About 10 feet up the step I was on broke in half, and I slid down the tree, one arm wrapped around it. Luckily I was setting up right next to a swampy river so I had a soft landing, landed on my feet and rolled. Tore up my arm and hand pretty good but nothing else. Figure I used all my luck up that day, now if I am off the ground, the strap is on.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I fell, but didn't hit the ground. Several years ago I had an old Baker style fall out from under me while trying to get my feet in the straps. It left me up the tree with nothing but safety belt and hand climber. I had apparently fell far enough for my belt to catch me, because the next day I had sore ribs.

TC

·
Registered
18 Posts
i had the bottom of a very old climber fall out from me, leaving me hanging there hlding on with jsut my hands, thankfully it was afternoon on a morning hunt and my brother was under the tree waiting for me

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
bigrackHack said:
Damn, now my entrails hurt from laughing.

Thank God my underwear is still clean. :)
I ain't kidding, after I woke up, I had this burning pain right across my lower abdomen/bikini line that felt like I was being opened up with a friggen propane torch. When you are nearly 230 lbs (of solid muscle :embara: ) and land flat on your back, it knocks the wind out of you for like 3 minutes. I swear for five minutes, I thought I was going to die. I've had my tonsils out, ran my hand through a table saw, wrecked cars, etc. and never had pain like this, I thought for sure I busted something internally. It hurt when I coughed or sneezed for 3-4 days.

Wear a safety harness at all times!! I'm usually much higher than that in climbers and hang ons and my ladder stand was 16 feet tall at one time until some 230 lardass snapped it in half one day when he tried to climb it without putting the support bar against the tree. :embara: I guess that spared some pain.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Andrew Betts said:
i had the bottom of a very old climber fall out from me, leaving me hanging there hlding on with jsut my hands, thankfully it was afternoon on a morning hunt and my brother was under the tree waiting for me
And what? You jumped out and he caught you? :confused:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
About 30 years ago I was in a permanent stand that had been built the year before. A doe came by and I was drawing my bow while leaning out over a support board when the board broke and I fell. I woke up with my left wrist broke in three places and my left shoulder broke in two places. The broadhead was stuck in the ground beside me :eek:

My brother-in-law went to the stand while I was in the hospital gettin three pins put in me and he found that someone had sawed almost completely through the support board and packed it with mud so it was not noticable. When I was able to hunt again my brother gave me a brand spanking new Baker Climbing Stand (new on the market at that time) and I have never looked back again. If I am off the ground I am in a climber :)

I still have that Baker but hunt from a Summit.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I had a tree step pull out on me. Sent me crashing to the ground messed my shoulder up. It was the end of the 80# bows for me. For a year after that I shot 40#. I now shoot 60# and could shoot 70#, I just don't see the need any more:) O Yeah! My underwear never got dirty, but my feelings and my shoulder were hurt;)

·
33,181 Posts
I have yet to have that wonderful experience. A couple years ago a friend of mine took me out to his land to hunt. He pointed in a direction and told me where to find his stand. I got to the stand, looked up and never climbed into it. It was in bad shape. He asked me later why I did not go up it, I said because it looks like its about to fall. He told me I was a sissy and later that day went up it to hunt. He ended up falling out of it and broke his leg. I have however dropped my bow from the stand.:mad:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts