Votes: 60 45.8%
  • Yes.. MAJOR PROBLEM don't know how to fix it

Votes: 19 14.5%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Target panic is a sore subject that nobody wants to talk about. It is said at some point of your archery career everyone will have some sort of target panic. I was wondering if you have had it and how you solved it. (short answers) Or if you are still dealing with it. I myself have had it and I feel I almost have it solved.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I believe that 99% of all archers have had TP issues....and I would also guess that the same percentage have occasional "relapses" even after they have solved the issue.

If I shoot a index finger type trigger release....I'm def more prone to TP. My Stan forces me NOT to fling arrows. Even so, I still have to ocassionally fight the urge NOT to snap a shot off.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Only thing that worked for me was learning to shoot a true back tension hinge release. Shot scares me every time it goes off now. I love it!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Had a small problem. Actually very very small. Didn't even realize I had it until I Bought a Scott brass hinge just to try. When I started into my shot sequence I realized I was punching occasionally. Along with help From Padgett I never got to the pull poke and pray mode.

·
Registered
681 Posts
What is target panic? (newbie)

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk now Free

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went through a period where I could not settle the pin into my "wobble area" without a twitch or violent jerk of the bow arm on nearly every shot. Tried the blank bale and eyes closed routines, could execute the shot with no problems. When I tried to put the pin on a spot and execute a shot, things got very ugly.

I beat it by trying a relax mode release by Cascade where you had to push the trigger to set it and when you relaxed your thumb on the trigger, it would fire. Once my mind figured out nothing bad was going to happen by pushing the trigger with the pin on the spot, I got over it, took a while though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ever since I got a Whalens hooker and have not had to worry about a trigger I have had zero cases of the dreaded TP. A trigger is my enemy. Other people may have tp for other reasons but to set off a trigger while aiming is a nightmare for me.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I had it and it was ugly. I looked like I had Touretts (spelling?) The flinching was awfull the shot would not go off most times and I shot some great score when I had it but it was a brain drain. I fixed it with back tension and blank bailing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I usually start having issues sometime midway through deer season (like right now). I'm doing my version of blank baling, mentally shifting the draw weight to my trigger finger to make a focused, surprise release. Spend most of my arrows on this without aiming, which allows me to hold on the target again. I'd modify my response to the poll as "Major problem but I'm working it." It defeated my hunting partner and he shifted over to a cross-bow.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I had it awful too. I went through several releases and settled on the Scott longhorn hunter hinge and love it. I can hunt with it just fine but I also go back and forth between that and thumb trigger and shoot them the same. I did some close up bailing and now work on shot execution at least 50% of my practice.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I said major but solved it. Now saying solved it might be a stretch. I think once you have it, it will never be gone forever. It is always there lurking but it can be controlled. I have a Scott longhorn that I regularly shoot with she I feel myself cheating with the thumb release. I carry it around with a practice string as well for when I'm bored. After a coupe years I started trying to really shootmy thumb release with the same general motion as my Scott. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had a major problem. I was shooting a tru fire 360 (heavy pull, long travel) and i switched to a spot hogg wiseguy (feather light, no travel) and I got into a horrible habit of punching the release, I guess because of the drastic change in release. But I started getting stuck just above or below the dot, I could never hold on the dot. If I drifted over the dot I would punch. I could shoot good groups because of the light release but I knew my form was crap.

How I have solved it: I got a tru fire hardcore so I could adjust the poundage. Turned the poundage up very heavy (which I actually like better, really feel the back tension) and I have been shooting blank target at five yards with my eyes closed (close your eyes and there is nothing to panic about). So get your pin centered on the target, close your eyes, and really think about your form, back tension, and executing the shot well. I have been shooting this way for weeks, not even having a spot to look at. I finally put a spot on the target today and shot at twenty yards. Great groups that I actually felt good about my form. I think I'm back!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Actually, I need another category. Big problem. I have strategies to control it, but I would never call it fixed. When my brain gets a signal that form is breaking down and pin hits the x, anything can happen. Lots of work with the hinge and lots of aiming drills.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.