Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you folks have paid $$$ to kill a trophy whitetail.

Just curious :)

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Everyone thats killed a deer has likely paid for it in some fashion.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I haven't nor will I ever. I find this a very interesting post and can't wait for some replies. I bet half of the so called hard core bowhunters on here that pay won't be truthful.

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
I do it that hard way for a reason. Bow only, public land, no bait etc. & I'll be ****** if I am going to pay someone to shoot a pet deer. JMO

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I havent and never will pay for a high fence deer.... Although lately ive considered going to a place for a cow elk.... I know, i know......

·
Registered
749 Posts
I wish I had the money for a trophy hunt or african hunt. Oh well just hunt deer for a few more years.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
How many of you folks have paid $$$ to kill a trophy whitetail.

Just curious :)
Wouldnt it be poaching if you didnt pay?:noidea: I've never been anyplace that didnt require you to buy a tag:).

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
He said Trophy ( wall hanger) and I don't think he meant tags, bow, arrows, etc.
Trophy is in the eye of the beholder...

If I was to do a DIY hunt in Illinois it could easily cost me $2,500 excluding tags, bow, arrows, etc. I would be paying for a trophy (in my eyes) far above what you do to hunt next door.

How about a guy that spends $100K for land to hunt on? How about a farmer setting aside land for food plots and habitat; he's paying because of reduced income.

If the OP wanted to know about canned hunts perhaps he should have just come out and said that.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Of course I have. We all have.

If the OP wants to start a fight just ask who's hunted behind the evil fence. Seems like that's the real question anyway.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I could sit on here all day and pick apart threads, we all know what he meant, quit dancing around the question

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
i agree with bob on this one.

paying for a trophy doesnt mean you have to write a check to an outfitter or a high fence pen outfitter.

i know people that spend $4000 a year in leases just hunt big bucks in other states....yea they hang their own stands, plant their own food plots, ect....but they are still paying for it.

if the OP was talking about HF hunts only...then NO i never have

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Define paying for a trophy. Now lets just say some one ME lives in a state not known for trophy deer MICHIGAN and this person ME pays to join a lease in a state known for great deer ILLINOIS. Its still fair chase but if Im reading you correctly since I paid for the lease and you hunt the same area for free than I have something to be ashamed of.:confused: Now if your talking about hunting in a enclosure or deer farm that's different.:darkbeer:

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I haven't because i can't. I doubt i ever shoot a deer in high fence, but have no qualms with some one that does, just don't brag about it too much. As far as outfitters i would pay, if i could, to hunt their whitetails. to me it is no different than paying someone up north to hunt their bears, elk, moose, caribou and so on. I have killed several good bucks with my bow on my own. It all just personal preference, too many people judge others here harshly. No one has the right to judge anybody if it is legal. But i have spent a crap load of money on deer hunting in general in my life.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts