Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second season ended today and I did not get a deer this year or an elk. Granted it is my first year bowhunting and I did have some opportunities, but nothing that panned out. Has this happened to you?

Yesterday was quite frustrating as we were going to go to place where we have seen deer often. The weather here in Oregon the last past week has been about 20 degrees colder than normal, no moisture, just cold, clear and dry and very windy. Finally it was supposed to warm up this weekend and get some light snow. I thought this should be good, the animals will be probably moving, now that the winds have died down, plus maybe some snow would help push them out a bit.

So, of course, with my luck with the weather, the moisture did come in, but not as snow, but as freezing rain. The area we were going to go, was so bad on the roads, that cars had flipped over. So, I was up ready to go, heard the weather and then back to bed. It was so disappointing.

I do look forward to next year, but waiting 9 more months now, just kills me. Well, according to my husband, a lot of people do not get on blacktails like I have whether you get a shot or not, so maybe it will pan out for me next year. Sorry for such a long post, I just really wanted to get something this year, even a doe. Earlier first season I had passed on a doe because I wanted to wait for a buck...no more of that next year. I think I will try for a mule deer first season, and then the blackies again when they are in the rut. Mule deer seem so less spooky too, so maybe that will help my chances.

Thanks for reading.
Colette

·
Registered
770 Posts
I bow hunted for 5 years before I killed my first deer with a bow. I had hunted with a gun and had pretty good success. When I went to the bow, even after the first 5 years, I rarely pic up the rifle. Had one of our club members ask me tonight, "Did I hear you shoot?". Gun season opened here yesterday. I told him, "If you hear me shoot, please come help me cause, something went terribly wrong". I only hunt with a bow now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to bowhunting! Right up front I'll admit it took me a couple of years to kill anything with archery gear. Grew up in the midwest rifle hunting and wanted to elevate the challenge and maximize time hunting so I took up archery. That was almost 30 years ago and it remains an obsession.

Just as there are varying opinions about what constitutes a trophy, a successful archery season can be measured in many ways. Your having picked up the stick & string tells me that it is not all about the kill for you, but there is much more to it. Am I correct? For those with a true passion for archery, it is not about the kill, it is about the journey......

In my opinion, it sounds as though you had a successful season in many ways. You had the opportunity to get out & hunt and saw numerous animals, the shot just didn't come together. As frustrating as that is to experience, it is the thrill of bowhunting.

Your husband is absolutely correct: Having hunted Blacktails in Alaska, Washington, and Oregon, I can attest to the fact that they can be extremely elusive and difficult to locate, let alone get an arrow in one. Good job finding them! Most of my Blacktails were actually "incidental" ones that I saw while elk hunting! I could never find them while actually deer hunting.

Keep proficient, be ready for next year. We'll be looking forward to hearing your next installment...

Jerry

·
Registered
73 Posts
It took me 7 years to kill my first deer with a bow, a 5 point buck. Never give up, you will succeed and be a better hunter for it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
same here... first 5 years bowhunting was a blank. A couple bad shots/nonrecovered. Kept practicing and then everything just seemed to come together. Keep at it! Keep practicing and keep going to the woods with bow in hand. Sooner or later it will happen for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bowhunted for 2 years before getting anything, finally got a doe this year, and followed it up with another doe and had a buck that i hit that I was unable to recover (really felt crappy about that one, but it happens in bowhunting)...and I'm just absolutely hooked on the sport. I didn't enjoy gun hunting nearly as much this year due to the tremendous rush I felt bowhunting. i can't wait to get back out in a week even in single digit temperatures. We must be crazy.

·
Registered
24,903 Posts
it took me 5 years until i finally got my deer this year.

im not allowed to shoot doe off the land i hunt so i had to what until a buck finally gave me a shot. i passed alot of button bucks and spikes though. this year i saw my 4 point come through on the last weekend and said your done. shot him as soon as he got in the lane and im so happy. its the smallest deer i ever got but it means alot more to me and im putting his horns and the arrow on the wall just cause im so proud:)

keep it up. it will happen

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
i went 3 years of bowhunting before i shot anything!!

even after i shot my first deer with a bow...it wasnt for another 5 years before i punched another archery tag

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
This is my second year and still nothin I have about a month left hopefully I can get it done.I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment cant wait

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I got my first this year and it was my second year hunting.

·
G5 killing machine
4,827 Posts
I haven't gotten anything yet. But trying as hard as I can. I'm getting closer and closer to taking one. With more practice I believe I will get one. I shot my first buck this year. Sad part was, I didn't find him after 3 days of searching. He took off with my arrow and never found him. No blood no nothing. I seen which way he went and just never found anything. I let plenty of small guys/gals pass. Hopefully will see something in the ending of bow season coming up.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I shot a bunch of trees my first year ;)
Ha Ha, I shot a log at a does feet. Still was exciting though, just made me realize that the archery range and the 3D shoot are not always the same as when you get in the woods. Need to still work on my judging distance.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to bowhunting! Right up front I'll admit it took me a couple of years to kill anything with archery gear. Grew up in the midwest rifle hunting and wanted to elevate the challenge and maximize time hunting so I took up archery. That was almost 30 years ago and it remains an obsession.

Just as there are varying opinions about what constitutes a trophy, a successful archery season can be measured in many ways. Your having picked up the stick & string tells me that it is not all about the kill for you, but there is much more to it. Am I correct? For those with a true passion for archery, it is not about the kill, it is about the journey......

In my opinion, it sounds as though you had a successful season in many ways. You had the opportunity to get out & hunt and saw numerous animals, the shot just didn't come together. As frustrating as that is to experience, it is the thrill of bowhunting.

Your husband is absolutely correct: Having hunted Blacktails in Alaska, Washington, and Oregon, I can attest to the fact that they can be extremely elusive and difficult to locate, let alone get an arrow in one. Good job finding them! Most of my Blacktails were actually "incidental" ones that I saw while elk hunting! I could never find them while actually deer hunting.

Keep proficient, be ready for next year. We'll be looking forward to hearing your next installment...

Jerry
You are entirely correct. It wasn't about the kill, it was about the fact that I had to work hard to get to where I am with my shot, it's about getting out close and personal with the animals and just enjoying my time in the field. It's amazing how much you see and appreciate in the woods, when you are bow hunting vs rifle hunting...at least to me it is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
First year bow hunting I shot 3...or 4.. deer. I have a bad memory. All does. Saw plenty of bucks but all small and I try to keep them alive. I have a very short learning curve and had a great coach to help me out with my form.

·
Wishing it was elk season
796 Posts
Took me three years to get my first!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It too me 3 years to kill my first deer with a bow...But heck, its been fun, and I have learned alot!!

·
Mad Arrow Slinger
10,657 Posts
It took me 7 years to kill my first deer with a bow, a 5 point buck. Never give up, you will succeed and be a better hunter for it.

Jim
Jim, got you beat Bud-took me almost 11 years to get my first a 3 pt. Dont ever give up!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts