Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a climbing treestand and it came with a full body harness. My question to you guys is this. How many of you use a climbing stand and use a saftey harness with it? Have any of you ever had a climbing stand accident or mishap? Would a saftey belt have helped you or not?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both actually..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use a SEAT-O-THE-PANTS. BEst I ever hAd . everyone I now that hunts uses the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Always!!!!

Especially with the newer model harnesses available today. They are quite comfortable and can save your life....literally. I've never had a mishap and don't need one to know that they can happen. I must admit, though, I do not always wear the safety straps to climb, but I should and will make that a habit. Even in my younger days hunting out of an Ammaker(sp?) with a plywood floor, I always wore the waist belt safety strap.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You'll probably hear that everyone on here use one. I do..but not while climbing, just sitting.

But thats me....

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I use a Seat o the pants harness. I hook up as soon as I get on the stand (before I start to climb). A few years ago I had a pin in my platform break as soon as I stoped climing, while I was about 30 ft up. I didn't fall but I very easily could have.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I won't get into any kind of stand without a safety harness. I wear a Seat-O- the pants also, and I like it. I use it if I am in a ladder or climber, or permanant, it doesn't matter. It is the ground that hurts you, not what kind of stand you fell out of.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Harness all the way, way to many people get killed or injured not wearing a safety system. Its a little bit of a pain but beats having my wife call the state police to recove my dead/crippled body from the woods.

I use my harness ascending, descending and while sitting in the tree. I've had my share of falls and close calls while wearing the harness. Also safety belts are out, as many a hunter have been reported to have hung themselves with a safety belt after a fall.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I just got a hunter saftey system for my birthday. It is awesome. No more tangled straps.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I certainly do, but not until I was taught the hard way. Check my avatar. I fell climbing up in 2002. Now I use a climbing line and prussik knot system with the Hunter Safety System Vest.

If anyone wants the instructions on how to set this up, email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
744 Posts
dbowers said:
You'll probably hear that everyone on here use one. I do..but not while climbing, just sitting.

But thats me....
Same here, just while sitting.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No reason not to wear one 100% of the time, tying off before your feet leave the ground and detach only after you get back down.

Any reason for not tying off 100% is bogus -- the technology is there and my life is worth more than the $100 it costs at a local sporting goods store. People gamble their livelihoods by taking such unecessary risk.

I certainly don't want to rely on the aflac duck paying my bills for the next 18 months while I go through physical therapy and hope my employer holds my job open until I can return. If I'm alive to return that is. "Lets see, on disability, x-mas is coming, can't work but may go back next year, but I'm alive, yet not enough $$ for x-mas, spouse had to get another job, making minimum payments, interest accruing is staggering...etc"

Foolishness. Plain and simple. People who elect not to tie off need to think about the day after they fall.

·
Bowhunter
5,200 Posts
I use a full body harness clipped to a static climbing rope (Summit Seat-o-the-pants Climbing System) that protects me from the time I leave the ground to the time I return. No more awkward moments transitioning from the climbing steps to the platform - when most accidents occur. I have too much riding on my life - including my ability to go and recover that P&Y buck I hope to shoot one day!! I would not climb without 100% protection.

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I set my climber up, get into it, connect my harness to the tree, and push it up ahead of my stand as I go up... always.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you never have used one before, let me give you some advise--make sure you ty the tether around the tree whiile you stand that way it tugs when you sit a little. because if you place it around the tree where you sit, you will get jerked really bad if your stand would fall and possibly break bones.

But I use the HSS vest and have it one before I get into the woods. i would rather pay the 100 for a safety vest, then have my family pay for a funeral or even hospital bills

1 - 20 of 45 Posts