Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few good shooters on camera but they only show up periodically and my best stand locations are more towards the middle of the property and I feel like I'm going to bump some deer getting there. Would it be smart of me to wait till late october/november to hit the woods regularly? Right now I've planned on going out a couple days a week but I'm wondering if that is even too much. I have exclusive rights on private property.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Id be out probably 3 times a week. I wouldn't be able to help it. Maybe use a climber on the edges of the property in the pre-season?

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Life only gives you x amount of days to hunt I know I go every chance I get. I have been going a lot lately and the deer are whiping my butt right now:)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I usually just hunt the field edges and creek crossings untill the last week of october then its time to start to getting into my good stands...by november 1 then its time to get the rattling antlers out and start makeing some noise...unless you have bucks patterned now then its pretty much hit and miss on bucks untill they start to cruise around ....JMO

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
My core zone i hunt is only 160 acres, and I've got stands in there that i will not get into until after November 10th.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I dont get excited about the early start to hunt whitetails.I take the month of Nov for vacation to chase whitetails.

Good Luck to everyone
Best
Bob

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll take quality over quantity any day, sometimes less is more. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes you really can increase your chances by staying on the couch. Deer will only tolerate a certain amount of intrusion, especially mature deer. By waiting til the time is best to make that intrusion, you are giving yourself the best odds at a shooter. I do a little doe hunting around field edges during early season, but don't get anywhere near my best stands til the last couple days of October.My good buck sightings went up dramatically when I 1st started doing this several years ago.

Edit to add that I would probably do things different if I had a ton of ground to myself. The way it stands I have to make the best out of what I have.

·
On a backstrap mission!
2,040 Posts
Our season opened sep 5 and i was lucky to kill two does first morning out but in the month of September i usually hunt a few days a week and i dont usually pour it on until the acorns start to fall in October because imo hunting the acorn crop can sometimes be better than the rut especially on the heavily pressured public land i hunt.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I guess if I had more than 2 stand options I would leave some for prime time BUT since I have access to a small tract of land (10 acres) and it's the only land I have for bow hunting I just hunt and hunt and hunt some more.....the deer I see are just passing threw usually anyway. At night I dream of the day when I have 200+ acres with multiple stand options much like they show on that show Whitetail Properties,,,,,,a guy can always dream. Be like me and turn into a scent junky then play the wind and hunt every day.

·
let it buck
2,133 Posts
i try one or two pick-offs then leave them alone tell end of october.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
I wait till about 3 1/2 weeks into Oct. to get on it and I still start out slow and very carfully till the first week of Nov. It has worked flawlessly for me and my boys for the last 10 years we take some real good bucks and the Doe herd is calm and quiet when we arrive in Nov. I am lucky to hunt 4 hunts prior top that and its an edge hunt in a very low impact stand that afords me a good veiw of most of the deer in the area , Good luck but it only takes about a half dozen hunts on a good property to blow it up if the deer feel the pressure.:)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have about 6 different properties to hunt varying in size from 12 acres to 108 acres. I hunt a 30 acre property a lot early during bow because it produces, then i leave it alone until the rut and rifle season. At that point theres tons of guys on the nieghboring property and the deer get pushed to me sometimes by the truck load. After hunting that spot early i head to the big property in the mountains and recycle the other 4 here and there. It's nice to have a couple spots to choose from, especially when its only you or you and one other hunter because you keep the pressure low on that spot. I'd hunt it once or twice early just to get it out of your system. If you can plop a doe right in front of you early DO IT. Last season I dropped 2 different does 30 yards infront of me, and i stayed in the stand and a half hour later i had bucks sniffing around, too bad they weren't the shooter variety just spikes 4's a 5 and a 6

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
I would only hunt it when it's cool and the wind is exactly right before they start movin 4 the rut

1 - 20 of 29 Posts