Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to find a method of sharpening broadheads or knives that will get them as sharp as they come from the factory. My opinion is that the blades MUST be razor sharp...shave your arm with almost no pressure kind of sharp.

Doesn't matter if I'm talking about fixed blade or mechanicals. Because I can't resharpen them to be as sharp as they were new, I "one shot and done" all of my broadheads. Just wondering what everyone else is doing.

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,674 Posts
Lansky
I can make my stingers sharper than a Mach3 from gillet:darkbeer:

· Registered
698 Posts
I use stones to resharpen my muzzy's. I put one blade in and use a 12" long old broken shaft with insert to hold the broadhead. It works for me. It is necessary after being shot into a deer or unfortunately the ground sometimes too.

· Yippiee ki-yay
3,625 Posts
A diamond stone gets mine pretty darn sharp, never had a problem with my fixed blades but mechanicals are another story. I use different heads for different stands. I usually get xtra blades on mechanicals.

· Registered
640 Posts
I resharpen and re-use. I can re-sharpen my heads sharper than they came from the factory (shave hair effortlessly sharp) most of the time.

· Team #28
5,838 Posts
I shoot Montec 100gr. I have the same 6 from 4 years ago. I just shoot, sharpen, repeat. Great heads. And with a little time invested I can get them very sharp.

· Registered
892 Posts
Best sharpener I have seen is made by Simmons. Has a clamp like a Lansky, but it's mounted flat to a piece of wood....Uses two ceramic sticks, and it will hone knives or broadheads so sharp they will cut your eyeballs if you look at them too hard....A really good system. Don't have a link, but it's the same company that makes Simmons Landsharks.

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
Montec's

I do.... Flat on some sandpaper then finish it on a stone. Sharp enough to do damage and having 74# of KE helps out...:)

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Best sharpener I have seen is made by Simmons. Has a clamp like a Lansky, but it's mounted flat to a piece of wood....Uses two ceramic sticks, and it will hone knives or broadheads so sharp they will cut your eyeballs if you look at them too hard....A really good system. Don't have a link, but it's the same company that makes Simmons Landsharks.
Here's your link: Simmons Steel Master Sharpener

Looks pretty nice! Any cheaper place to buy it?

Best Regards,
Byron :)

· Registered
892 Posts
Yes sir, that would be it....Never have used the file, but those ceramic sticks will get stuff sharp in a hurry....

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Broadhead sharpener

If you want the best broad head sharpener made IMHO go to kmesharp.com and watch the video they also make a knife sharpener. I have sharpened Slick Tricks, Snyper, Spit Fire, and if you have the right hones and keep them clean and lubricated this system will sharpen replaceable broad heads sharper than new ones, I sharpened some new Slick Tricks today and they are scary sharp, I sharpen all the blades before I use them .

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations on the sharpeners. I'll have to buy one and see what I can do.
Up until now, I've always been a one and done guy:embara:
Seems like everything is getting more expensive....probably worth the the initial investment in a good sharpener and the time to do it myself

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Typically I just use a new head. If I were going to reuse the head, replacement blades would save me time and irritation.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.