Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrible News!!!

After a wait of over a month for my new Bowtech 3.0 to show up (Canada Post lost it :mad:) it finally showed up on Friday last week. It was a full package with all the accessories since I didn't have anything for a proper target bow. This thing is so beautiful. So of course Saturday morning I get up early and head out to the indoor range. As I'm pushing the chain link fence open at the club, I completely wipe out on the ice. I caught myself with my left arm but absolutely destroyed my shoulder. Fortunately the bones are fine, nothing dislocated, and it even seems like I haven't torn my rotator cuff. The damage is just ligamets/tendons/muscle/whatever. However, it still does seem like I'm going to be missing a number of weeks in my league, and worse have to wait even longer to shoot this brand new bow!!

I have a question, (since I have nothing to do but sit around and think about my bows).

How much improvement could I expect by switching to a proper target bow setup? I was shooting my Diamond Edge SB1 before, and had a personal best of 280/300 in a Vegas round, been shooting since July. Added a 30" stabilizer, back bar, line cutter arrows, etc... My goal at the outset was to shoot a 290 by the end of the indoor season. I sure hope this is still possible given it seems I wont be shooting for at least a few more weeks.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Man, that stinks! Glad you weren’t hurt worse than you were. I have the same bow on order, and hope to get it dialed in next week. Only a two week run for me, but I get mine right from the factory. Being lefty and wanting green, in 50#, they had to build it.

As for scores, there is no telling how much, or if, that new bow will increase your scores. What was keeping you from scoring higher with the current equipment? No doubt that the Fanatic is the superior bow, but either one is capable. Good luck, and hope for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, that stinks! Glad you weren’t hurt worse than you were. I have the same bow on order, and hope to get it dialed in next week. Only a two week run for me, but I get mine right from the factory. Being lefty and wanting green, in 50#, they had to build it.

As for scores, there is no telling how much, or if, that new bow will increase your scores. What was keeping you from scoring higher with the current equipment? No doubt that the Fanatic is the superior bow, but either one is capable. Good luck, and hope for a speedy recovery!
Well the only advice I have with the bow so far is lookout for the ice! Lol.

I'm not sure how to even answer what was holding me back with the other bow. My best rounds were about three 8s and then a pile of 9s. Mostly I feel like I'm doing a great job of getting all the yellow except for right in the middle!!! I feel like this is a dumb answer lol. "The 8s and 9s are what's holding me back!!!"

I think my float pattern was very quick so I'm hopeful that it slows down with the new stabilizers.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There is NO such thing as a "target bow". A bow is a bow. Bows of all ata and brace hights have won many comps. It's how you choose to set them up and shoot and how you gell (comfy) with your setup. Blades and dropaways have all won comps. Low weights, high weights on stabs and all sorts of stab combinations have won. Don't get hung up on what defines "target".

·
Back Yard Champion
28,939 Posts
^^^ What duc said. Well, tune you better than you tune your bow....

Hope you recover and good luck with your shooting.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
Consistently having a good technique and form will get you your scores. The bow is just a tool. Focus grasshopper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I'm going to buck the crowd and say you will shoot the Fanatic better assuming you do your part. making sure it's set up to fit you. Don't expect the bow to do it for you, but all else being equal, your misses should be smaller with the longer/heavier Fanatic with longer/heavier stabilizers than with the shorter/lighter Edge with short (or no stabilizers).

Hope you heal quickly, and congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Your scores will go up with the new bow.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,247 Posts
There is NO such thing as a "target bow". A bow is a bow. Bows of all ata and brace hights have won many comps. It's how you choose to set them up and shoot and how you gell (comfy) with your setup. Blades and dropaways have all won comps. Low weights, high weights on stabs and all sorts of stab combinations have won. Don't get hung up on what defines "target".
Maybe you should tell that to the people that build em'.........lol. They seem to think so.....and so do I. If you don't see the difference that's on you. If you are talking about winning that is not relevant.....unless you look at the same shooter and chart it. IOW a Pro can win at a match where the competition is not as tough with any thing. Or a person could have their best day ever and win with a lesser bow.

But if you are talking the best of the best and trends they aren't winning consistently with bows not built for the sport.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,247 Posts
And then go back to what they were. The honeymoon effect. Happens more then people like to admit. Ask any HIGH END couch.
Again this stuff may be true because in any competition a strong mental game is your best asset. So if a pro target guy has a hunting bow and shoots against others he will still win......but he would still win with the target bow as well. Because it's his practice, experience and mind that puts him there.

So I'll agree. But at the same time his scores will be better with a bow that is setup better for the sport he is competing in if you were to take an average of the scores over time.

That's why they make target bows........it's not just a gimmick.

·
Registered
24,755 Posts
My mind set was exactly that and being so efficient with my hunting setups over the years proved to be not the case at first glance.

My scores were better with my hunting setup and way more consistent.

A freestyle target bow has the potential for one to shoot better scores. However, you have to fine tune things to fit you and it takes longer than a hunting setup, as there are more factors that come into play.

When you take the time to account for these things, the potential is there for a freestyle target setup to be more accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
And then go back to what they were. The honeymoon effect. Happens more then people like to admit. Ask any HIGH END couch.
A long time ago a coach told me we have a conscious and a subconscious mind . . and our subconscious mind controls our ‘comfort zone’. If we get outside our comfort zone . . our subconscious mind will kick in and bring us back to inside our comfort zone where we are comfortable again. It’s a natural response. If our skill level allows us to shoot 280 consistently, and over time we get comfortable with that, it’s not hard to see the effect the subconscious mind has. If we are somehow on our way to a 290 our subconscious mind will most likely say . . woah, hold on now, you’re way outside your comfort zone, and the wheels come off . . even if you don’t feel consciously nervous. So yes a longer ata ‘target bow’ etc. can help improve stability and therefore likely more consistent shooting . . but the road to 290s will also require (somehow) getting comfortable with the thought of shooting 290s. Just my .02 worth.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,939 Posts
I think a couple of us answered with what the Poster gave, new to him target bow, new to him stabs, new to him arrows.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies guys! Seems a mildly controversial topic haha.

I'm of the belief that the change in equipment should help my scores somewhat (I mean I bought the bow so of course). The fatter arrows should add maybe a point per round just by cutting a line, no? The stabilizers should probably help me not... Wiggle so much no?

I'm also under no illusion that the bulk of the progress i can make is going to come through personal skill development and practice! I'd really love to find a local coach to work with as well.

Mostly I'd really love to be healed up so I can go do it, instead of think and talk about it haha.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I think everyone's going to be different. In my experience the difference between my bow madness xl (285-292) and elite victory (290-295) was about 5 points. This was on fita rounds over the course of a season. I will say that I never shot under 290 with the elite and it seemed to take less effort to be consistent with it.

·
Cummins Power
2,405 Posts
You can shoot high scores with any bow that you get comfortable with and setup correctly...

did I read your post correctly that you already were shooting fat shafts and a full freestyle stabilizer setup on your 'hunting' bow? If you're shooting a lot of 8's setup like that, you've got a lot of other things to work on that don't involve the bow.

Someone that I know and respect who's a hell of a shot told me once when I asked a similar question... a 'target' bow will help your X count but won't make you a 300 shooter....

·
Registered
661 Posts
A lot of truth in this. I've been shooting a league at my local shop for the last few months. (My first competition type of shooting). My primary bow, a Bear Arena 34, was in the shop so I started with my backup. A PSE single cam momentum. Using a homemade stabilizer from a carbon golf club shaft, we was shooting a 3 spot, I worked up to shooting consistently 282 with 17 X's. I got my primary bow back and using the same stabilizer, my last tournament shoot was 298 and 33 X's on a 5 spot. So ability and practice is more important than equip. I dont consider myself anything great so if I can improve anyone can!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can shoot high scores with any bow that you get comfortable with and setup correctly...

did I read your post correctly that you already were shooting fat shafts and a full freestyle stabilizer setup on your 'hunting' bow? If you're shooting a lot of 8's setup like that, you've got a lot of other things to work on that don't involve the bow.

Someone that I know and respect who's a hell of a shot told me once when I asked a similar question... a 'target' bow will help your X count but won't make you a 300 shooter....
No no, just the 'hunting' 6" stubby stabilizer that came on the bow, and the arrows are not fat. I don't actually even know what size shafts they are, basically Cabela's equivalent.

The new setup has the long stabilizer, and fat shafts, etc.

By no means am I shrugging off form/practice, it's just not really the topic I was going for with this thread. I suppose I am just day dreaming about shooting again, and figured I would query the group as to how much benefit/gain everyone thinks is... lets say mechanically possible from the change of bow and setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts