Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
25,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So shooting 70# no problem but I am starting to get a little sore after shooting so thinking of dropping to 60-65#. I shoot mechanicals out to 40 yds. Anyone shoot lower poundage with mechs at 40 yds and blow through deer? Just nervous I've been shooting 70-# for 20 years now

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I gave up the heavy crap as I got older and still get great penetration... 62 lbs right now/375grs at 305 fps .... kills 'em just as dead as waaaaay back when I shot 70 lbs .. of course it depends on the Mech... when I use 'em I use Steelheads or the XL's... the 191 lb/139" 8 pt last season was 43 yds, the XL went thru no problems, went 10 yds past the deer... I wont hesitate to use 'em at that distance... but prefer closer of course .. :wink:

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
65lbs on my Nitrum Turbo maxed out, 55 on my Podium. I haven’t shot 70 in a few years because of a elbow injury and periodically it flares up. I can shoot 70 for about 50-60 shots then it gets sore. I can shoot 65 all day. I have shot 60 before and had no problem with any head and penetration but I have shot heavier arrows.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I shot 70 pounds since 1978. Am about to turn 67 and recently decided it best that I back down the poundage. I’m now shooting 62 pounds, 520 grain arrows at 250 fps. I always have shot fixed cut on contact, so I am not worried about penetration.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I dropped down to 65 pounds this year with 411 grain arrows. They have blown through every deer I’ve shot at. The farthest was my buck at 32 yards. I’m thinking about dropping down to 60 pounds for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I shoot 92 and 101 with heavy arrows so pass throughs aren't a problem.

My wife on the other hand is shooting 42 lb at 25" and had a 1.5" hypo poke out the far side of a 3.5 yr buck

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Been shooting 65 pounds for 3 years now. Now reason to go higher or lower. I shoot a quick bow so no need to shoot anymore weight.

·
Registered
201 Posts
59 yo, shoot 62 lbs, 397 gr @301 fps. My last 21 were complete pass thrus, g5 Montec fb. Funny, i can pull no problem in shorts and 75 degrees then fly in, strap it up after 6 hours in a [email protected] degrees? Not happening.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
60 lbs out of my Dream Season Evo. 372 grains arrow always blow through the Alberta Mule deer. Sometimes it takes a while to find the arrows in the wheat and canola fields.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
64 pounds... down from 75. Cant say I notice a difference in much of anything other than how much more comfortable it is to pull back! Kills them just as dead.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I shoot mechanical broadheads (nap shockwave) at elk and have killed 2 bulls so far. The first one was with 70 pounds and I got a complete pass through at 17 yards. Then this year my shoulder was giving me fits so I dropped the poundage down to 60ish and shot my bull at 45 yards. I didn't get a pass through but the tip of the arrow was poking the inside of the hide on the far side so penetration was definitely adequate. Next year I will be in between and shooting at 65 pounds.

·
Registered
23,282 Posts
[email protected] with my '16 Obsession Phoenix XL, shooting a 340 Easton Axis weighing in at 420gr. In my quiver I have two arrows with Spitfires, one with a TT Shuttle-T and one with an Exodus. Spitfire's are in the number 1&2 slots, but I have no issue shooting a deer with a fixed either. Pass throughs are the rule rather than the exception.

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
52lbs - 40-50lb Elite Synergy will likely see some action in the mid 40s this winter, just to see how it performs.
53 years old

410gr and 587 grains are my 2 set ups for hunting

I had 3 pass threws on all 3 deer this year.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Since I bought my triax I was shooting at 64lbs, then after a few days bumped it up to 68, I think I will get 73lbs out of this bow, but have not shot it bottomed out yet.

I have a broken rib on my right side right now, and it hurts to draw, so I'm taking it easy. My chill r has been at 73lbs since I bought it.

I will drop my draw weight if and when there is a reason, 60lbs is plenty for elk, I used 60lb bow several years, never had issue, but 70+ is just a little better.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I’ve shot 3 big game animals this year, with 3 different bows... Weights were 68#, 69#, and 83#...

83#...

69#...

68#...

As well as 74#...

71#...

Yes, all traditional bow kills... 70# compounds are easy to shoot compared to the same weight or more trad bow without let-off... I know, I’ve got a couple of 70# compounds that seem like cheating when I do use them... But, the compound does have it’s place in certain situations... I can also tell you, become truly proficient with a trad bow and your compound shooting will seem like cheating to you too! No bragg, just fact!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Bowhunter4life, when I started shooting a recurve I learned real quick it was a different beast. I went from pulling 70+ lbs easily with my compounds, to struggling with a 45lb recurve, haha.

It's WAY harder to pull. I'm still working on it, I'm hoping to pull 55lbs with good form by summer, and get my 20yd shooting on point.

Plan is to buy a Blacktail when that happens and take a break from compounds. It's a tougher goal to achieve than I imagined, but I'm sticking with it.

Awesome lineup of traditional kills! Awesome and impressive!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts