Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an indoor 600 round shoot, how many ends do you take to 'warm up'? I do best with the official 2 practice ends and maybe 1-2 more before that, but I've seen folks shooting much more than that before scoring begins. Curious if I'm the outlier, or the average and if anyone's found the magic formula to the warm up cycle.

Also, does your answer change when looking at an outdoor 720, or 1440 round?
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always shoot 6 arrows during each of the 2 official practice ends. For me, typically the shots don't feel right until the 9th arrow or so.

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
I only know what works for me and that is the longer I warm up, the better I shoot.

USA 50m - 5-10 ends.
NFAA Field Target - 50-60 arrows.
900 round - 5 to 10 ends, at least to ends at each distance.
5 Spot - 1 full game.
Vegas - 1 full game scored, another just working on relaxing (when at Vegas).
Never shot a 1440 in one day - usually over two days.

·
-------
2,640 Posts
So what do you all do if there is no practice range? You only get your two practice ends and then score?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I typically shoot as many arrows as I can fit into my practice ends and just go from there. This is also after I've warmed up with some bands and arm movements!

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,210 Posts
Personally, I have never practiced or warmed up before a competition. I'm not going to get anything out of it. The time for training is over. Just take the time to relax and get comfortable with the atmosphere. The two official practice rounds are just to confirm that your gear didn't get out of whack. The just shoot one arrow at a time, because the one on the string is the only one that matters.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm reluctant to use up my bullsyes on practice ends - I also don't touch my bow until next week's league. Can't figure out why I'm not lighting the place up

·
SMH
1,947 Posts
So what do you all do if there is no practice range? You only get your two practice ends and then score?

Then I just shoot the two practice ends, summon all the swagger I can and win my class, like yesterday. :) Small consolation for last weekend’s underwhelming performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
-------
2,640 Posts
Then I just shoot the two practice ends, summon all the swagger I can and win my class, like yesterday. :) Small consolation for last weekend’s underwhelming performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a better strategy. If you didn't bring it with not gonna find it in warm ups.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to shoot about 20 arrows then the two practice ends and I was good. Now, I don't know, most likely just the 2 practice ends. I'm old and get tired easily....LOL

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I use to practice for an hour prior to a tournament. Shoot the practice rounds, and then shoot the round. Then after the tournament, I would shoot for an hour or two because I wasn't satisfied with my round. Now at 72, I only have so many good shots anymore so I would be happy with no practice arrows. If I took my bow to the tournament by airline, A practice shot prior to the tournament would be required to look for damage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe it is specific to each individual. I usually recommend to shoot until you have 6 arrows in as tight group as you can get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Warm up with stretch bands. I usually shoot about 6 arrows for 2 practice ends for indoor. But it depends on how many practice ends are given during a tournament.

Outdoor, maybe 9 arrows per practice end to see how my grouping is.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I shoot indoor competitions and you should always shoot two practice ends before you start to score. If you are shooting 5-spot, you should shoot 10 arrows, and if you shoot a Vegas target, you should shoot 6 arrows.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts