Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pins on my bow are so close that I'm considering taking the "tweeners" out. They are fine with spots but for game I'm concerned. I'm thinking of going with 20 - 40 - 50 yard pins.

What do you guy's use on yours ?

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
i personally will not shoot at whitetails past 35 yards. there for this year im gonna have a 20 and 30 and remove the rest for less confusion in the heat of battle. so i geuss my answer this year is 2!!;) easton94

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
cobra electra slide....one pin slides to preset distances ....that way I only have to make one choice...slide with thumb...pick out the one pin and shoot!

·
Registered
371 Posts
With my setup I can shoot out to 30 yards with 1 pin. My second pin is 35 yards..........no need in shooting any farther than that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use a Savage pendlum for hunting. One pin.

·
Registered
628 Posts
3 - 20, 30, 40 yellow, green, red (hard to see at dusk/dawn which is self inhibiting to ensure I don't take a 40 shot at early/late light) pins

for all of the 30+ yd naysayers......

I can hit a pop can at 40 yds 9 out of 10 times with the 10th arrow still easily in the vitals. So if the situation is right and I am confident that I can make the shot presented, I would shoot out to 40, but not past it. In all likelihood, I'll take my deer at under 30 and probably at 20yds given my stand setups this year.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
have 3, 20, 30 and 40 but use only the tweener between the 30, 40 pin and not beyond. just my limit for shooting critters
rob k

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way guys - I don't intend to shoot past 40 yards either - just have the 50 pin for practice.Most of my shots are in the 20-25 yard range.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm with Kildog, I use a single pin slide. However, I use the Cosmic sight. It will allow me to shoot from 0-65yds. Though I will not shoot a deer past 40 yds if it presents the right shot for me. I continually practice out to the 55-60yds range, and can hit a quarter size target from 50yds. It is my opinion that if I can hit a target that small from 50yds, where the slightest mistake will throw the arrow off, it will make shooting from the 20-30yd distances much easier.

·
Registered
445 Posts
3 pins, 10-20-30 yards. Much past 30 and I'll let him walk. As for color I use green-yellow-green, the red is too hard to see, and the yellow shows best for me, so I keep it in the middle range.

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
im just wondering, i can hit pretty small targets out to 50-60 on the range, but........with a broadhead, hunting cloths, elevated postition, weather, and numerous other variables i know that i cannot hit those same marks at 50, or maybe even 40. add the variables of a wild whitetail and that is why i limit myself to 35. just some reasoning on my limitation, no offense meant to anyone just take those variables into account!!;) easton94

·
74,535 Posts
One Pin

Use Custom Bow Equipment sight in 3d all year. Im so use to using it works like a charm. Set it on 25yrds. Anything within 40 yrds is dead. One miss in 6yrs. 5-6 deer a year.

·
Registered
441 Posts
3 pins for me.20,30,and 40.but thinking about changing them to 15.25,35.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Easton94,

I agree with you, that with a lot of other variables I can not hit those some marks while hunting. That is also why I said that it has to present the right shot. That would be either a broadside or a slight quartering away shot. Other then those two, it is going to have to be within 30yds.

·
Registered
441 Posts
3 pins for me.20,30,and 40.but thinking about changing them to 15.25,35.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I can hit the "kill zone" 10 of 10 at 50yds, on the range. Hunting however, as mentioned above, is a different story. My pins are my eyes and I dont shoot over 30yds in the "real" game.:) That is where an animal is at stake. I will go further, but only on a perfect broadside, deer not alert, no wind, ect, and how often does that happen?:( Shoot Straight, and Good Luck to all of you this season.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts