Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most use three fletch.
I prefer four smaller vanes for 3d (225 Flex Fletch).
For hunting I've used three FF 310's and three FF 360's and four of each. All worked well when the bow was well tuned. For deer I have used small diameter fixed blade broadheads.
As an experiment once I tried six very small (FF187'S). They flew well but hummed flying through the air due to the number vanes! I never tested the speed but felt they slowed the arrow down.

So the question is - do too many vanes help - hurt - or do nothing for arrow stabilization? Would two large helical fletching work better than all others? Should multiple vanes be staggered to avoid drafting?

·
The Impartial Archer
17,614 Posts
I never understood why people want to go with small vanes and then add more to get back where they would have been just using larger vanes. I still use three four or five inch vanes (or feathers) never saw the need to change.

I don't shoot micro arrows......if I did I might go to the 4 inch only.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
I use 3 fletch with a 3 inch feather. They work well with a 1 14

i have tested just about every size feather and vane. I use a 3 inch feather x3 with a 1 1/4" VPA non-vented and it is a very forgiving set up from a tuned bow. How good is your form? Also the more FOC the less vane you will need. I can use a 2" Razor cut feather,but the 3" is more forgiving with a form glitch.

·
Full Time Novice
7,166 Posts
I like to see perfect and beautiful arrow flight and for me at distance i dan really tell and play with stuff I’ve never need more more then a 3 fletch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
it depends on the broadheads. i used fix blades, i have try straight vanes, smaller vanes, lager vanes, i found that i need 4" left vanes for me to shoot good. i do not have any technical issue let some have said. if you used fix blades you need some type of vanes. i do not used a drop away rest dont like them and i still used aluminum arrows with muzzy 125 arrows. i did alot of testing with them and this is what i used. just like a gun you have to used what you arrows and bow like. why used something that dont work in your bow just to please your buddies

·
Hunter of many things
11,984 Posts
If you "need" more than 3, you have a technical issue
Agree!!

I like to go as small as possible and still be able to steer my arrow (with whatever tip on the end) and get good flight. Its all about surface area, 4 small vanes would be similar to 3 tall or long vanes.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
it depends on the broadheads.
This ^^^^. You need enough to overcome any steering or drag that the BH's impose on the arrow. Any less than that, and the BH will try to steer the arrow. Any more than that is fine, but then you have more drag than you need so trajectory suffers at longer ranges.......which isn't an issue if you're sighted in for that. With the right vanes three might be plenty. With small vanes, you may need more. Too many variables to just throw up a blanket statement of what you need.

·
The Ranch Fairy
911 Posts
The more stuff you add to the rear, the more drag. It is just a fact.
With all the speed demons, I find it interesting the speedsters do this. I'd try to shoot tiny fletch if I was a speed guy.
Now, onto hunting.
If you feel you have to "steer" your broadhead, I apologize for this comment, your arrow is not tuned, nor is your bow.
I always thought the fletching was the key. It is NOT. Once I learned to bare shaft and nock tune, holy smokes. I shoot 3 - 2" rayzrs and the small fusion vanes "for 3-d only". Honestly man, 200-500 grains up front 1" wide, 1.5" wide 2 blade Phat heads. Zing. I shot them 100 yards the other day because I couldn't believe it. My mistakes were mostly vertical. Bad form. Windage was fine, arrows were darts

Again, not trying to hate on your tuning. I was completely surprised how much arrow tuning (nock / paper / bareshaft) makes a difference.
Been fortunate to have some subscribers open my eyes a bit.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
If you "need" more than 3, you have a technical issue
I agree and last year I knew I had an issue that was not resolvable. That is a different story though. I went to 6 little vanes. It was really cool to watch them in flight and my arrows were so heavy it really didn't hurt my speed because I didn't have any to begin with...LOL. They did fly like darts and it was fun to shoot them.

This year I have no issues with three 3" feathers and fixed blades.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
I shoot 4 fletch just to make my arrows look different than others and I like the way they look. Here are some pics of my arrows I just recently did with 4 4" Bi-Delta shark tooth vanes on my Beman Speed 300's.

arrow.jpg arrow1.jpg arrow2.jpg

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
If you feel you have to "steer" your broadhead, I apologize for this comment, your arrow is not tuned, nor is your bow.
So, how well do those 200-500gr up front arrows shoot without vanes? Probably better than just a 125gr on the front of a normal insert, but I can't imagine that they work all that well without any fletching.

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,935 Posts
So, how well do those 200-500gr up front arrows shoot without vanes? Probably better than just a 125gr on the front of a normal insert, but I can't imagine that they work all that well without any fletching.
You might be surprised...... I may have some pics this weekend of just that scenario.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
You might be surprised...... I may have some pics this weekend of just that scenario.
Let us know how it works. It doesn't work well with non-EFOC arrows.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Its all about surface area, 4 small vanes would be similar to 3 tall or long vanes.
My opinion also...if six FFP-187's have the same surface area as three FFP-360's then they will perform the same.
And since i'm not a fan of spending forever glueing my @ss off all night I'll go with three larger vanes if I want more drag.

For 3D I use three small shield cuts FFP-187's (1.875"); for hunting three Blazers (2"); and for spots three FFP-360's (3.5")
For unmarked 3d, too much drag is more hurt than help when speed is desired. For spots I don't need speed so i'll take more drag.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not having a problem with arrow flight.

Just throwing out the question. Smaller (lower profile) vanes perform better in the wind. Feathers are more forgiving. In my experience feathers and blazers are more noisy than a softer vane like the Flex Fletch. That's the reason that I prefer them. And a shield cut also.

You ask about my form? A friend who has the archery form "app" on his phone checked it and said it is almost perfect. Not bragging just answering the question. My biggest problem is target panic. Wish they had a pill for that! Spots drive me crazy and why I like 3d.

I agree that four vanes might not be any better than three. Unless you can get the same performance with a lower profile. The wind thing again. I like the different look also.

Anyone know the reasoning behind the bi-vane design? Must have something aerodynamic about it.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
To me, it's all about balancing total surface area and total weight (of the vanes). If you can get close to the same surface area with a shorter 4 fletch, but have less total weight on the back, that's the route I would think one would want to go. If not, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I Just 4 fletched arrows with 4 " vanetec vmax vanes. I Don't know why people are absessed with broadhead flight and small vanes. I like 4 fletch blazers also. I bare shaft tune and broadhead tune and that's good enough. At least all the dead deer from the last 3 decades don't know the difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts