Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone says compound is so much easier than recurve. How well does that translate into score/accuracy improvement? How much tighter did the grouping get? How much farther could you stay accurate?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Everyone says compound is so much easier than recurve. How well does that translate into score/accuracy improvement? How much tighter did the grouping get? How much farther could you stay accurate?
The scores and accuracy of a compound bow is incredible compared to a recurve. With some consitent practice, you are able to shoot out to 40 yards and keep it with a 6 inch diameter circle. But that is only some of the possiblilities with a coumpound. It really all depends on how much practice you put into your shooting. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
My score improved leaps and bounds. Shooting a 28 round field course with 560 possible points I would shoot 300's and on a good day just over 400. With a compound I went to an average for our winter league of 550. My high average one year was a 556 with 5 560's.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,283 Posts
Of this day and age my first thought was; "You've go to be kidding."
After a bit of thought, like this guy is from the dark ages, I would say going from a no frills recurve to a common compound with sights and release you accuracy and consistences would floor you.
For the compound, for 20 yards or less, one hole accuracy is common. Right pin setup or going to a sight frame and lens, that 5" bull's eye at 80 yards becomes dead meat.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My draw to recurve is towards the fita/olympic style and not bare bow but I was mainly curious on how my abilities would translate to compound since 99% of the club I go to and the shops I visit shoot compound only. I just wanted to see how I would stand against those guys if we were using comparably similar gear.

It's weird because everyone shooting compound was telling me I was shooting good, but I thought I was shooting terribly.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I switched to a recurve (FITA style) for a couple years. It was fun and I learned quite a bit. When I went back to the compound I brought some of those lessons with. I definately began making better, stronger shots. The difference in score was probably less than most would see, I guess. 2 or 3 points on a blue face target at 20 yards and about 15 or so 'X's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts