Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Independent bowhunter
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to no how much these tv pros get for selling their shows to the likes of Outdoor channel,Versus, Sportsman channel, on Fox News they said that Jon&Kate plus 8, Little People big world type shows earn anywere from $50,000 to $100,000 per show with they average 40 shows per season which by my math could be 3 to 4 million, if the tv pros shows are 1/2 hour do they make 1/2 of that? if so selling their shows and what the sponsors pay them, they make some big money,

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You’re trying to compare hunting shows to reality shows on major networks like Discovery? The only rich hunting personalities are the ones that started out that way.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I doubt that any are Rich......but would say that a few live comfortable.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
For the most part, outdoors shows are not "sold" to networks, actually just the opposite. The shows pay the networks for the airtime. It it then up to the shows to sell advertising to support themselves. Any open ad spots that can't be filled by the shows are then filled by the network with commercials they have sold. Usually, there are a certain number of spots held back by the network for them to fill for every show.

I think (but am not certain) that any shows you see on Versus and ESPN are actually network paid shows, meaning those shows are getting paid by the network.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Sorry guys-very few earn "the big dollars" in this TV industry. There are other reasons to do a show-like getting to travel, maybe get some "promo" type hunts, etc.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would like to no how much these tv pros get for selling their shows to the likes of Outdoor channel,Versus, Sportsman channel, on Fox News they said that Jon&Kate plus 8, Little People big world type shows earn anywere from $50,000 to $100,000 per show with they average 40 shows per season which by my math could be 3 to 4 million, if the tv pros shows are 1/2 hour do they make 1/2 of that? if so selling their shows and what the sponsors pay them, they make some big money,

Wrong....they PAY the outdoor channel to air their shows...the outdoor channel does NOT buy the shows. Top shows pay nearly $400K a year to the ODC to air their shows.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I dont think its the same as what ur asking, but some friends of mine got a video of them harvesting a 160" 10pt. They sold the video to whitetail properties for $7000.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I dont think its the same as what ur asking, but some friends of mine got a video of them harvesting a 160" 10pt. They sold the video to whitetail properties for $7000.
I am having a hard time believing that. That's my PC way of putting it, LOL.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The show must pay the station they are on according to airtimes and how many airings. Versus does not pay for shows you must pay them to air on their station. It is a huge misconseption that TV shows make alot of money ( some of the top ones do make money from sponsors and endorsements ), but for most of the show out there if the person didn't have money to start with they are just making an averge living. I know for us and a couple of other shows it is all we can do to pay the bills much less earn a living doing this. We do it because we love to hunt and enjoy shareing our hunts with people like us. I still pay to hunt and I purchase alot of my hunting gear just like most people the only differance is we took a chance and made a show and got enough sponsors to pay the bills. I believe alot of shows are this way ( not sure just guessing ) Also you have to sell alot of DVD's to just break even with everything you have to pay to mass produce and market them. James

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Like Robin said...the networks aren't paying for the shows, the shows are paying for the network!! Seems odd, but that's the way it is...

Also like Robin said...the "big money" definitely is NOT in DVD sales. You gotta sell a boatload of DVD's to make a buck, not much there for anyone, save a couple of the big guys maybe.

And speaking of "big money", I'm not really sure there is such a thing in the hunting/outdoor industry. I mean sure, some of these guys are making a comfortable living, but I'm not seeing any millionaires being made on the Outdoor Channel, probably nothing close.

I've found that folks GROSSLY over-estimate the amount of money changing hands when involved with hunting...$25,000 for one good video of a buck killed, $1 million+ for a "world record" buck, etc, etc...

...gotta realize folks, this industry is VERY small in the grand scheme of things. Like I said, I've heard guys convinced if they kill a "world record" that some company is gonna throw a million bucks at 'em...while never thinking of the fact that for the vast majority of outdoor companies $1 million is probably more than they're GROSS SALES for a year...let alone profit.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
The show must pay the station they are on according to airtimes and how many airings. Versus does not pay for shows you must pay them to air on their station. It is a huge misconseption that TV shows make alot of money ( some of the top ones do make money from sponsors and endorsements ), but for most of the show out there if the person didn't have money to start with they are just making an averge living. I know for us and a couple of other shows it is all we can do to pay the bills much less earn a living doing this. We do it because we love to hunt and enjoy shareing our hunts with people like us. I still pay to hunt and I purchase alot of my hunting gear just like most people the only differance is we took a chance and made a show and got enough sponsors to pay the bills. I believe alot of shows are this way ( not sure just guessing ) Also you have to sell alot of DVD's to just break even with everything you have to pay to mass produce and market them. James
Right there is a reality check for all the whiners!!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Good Explanation BB

·
Registered
385 Posts
How do they not make money on DVD sales? Typical DVD is around $15. You get several thousand people buying the DVD's and that's not making money?

Lee and Tiffany weren't born with silver spoons in their mouths, yet they own hundreds of acres of prime farm and hunting ground and live very comfortably. You can't tell me they aren't making big $$$ off DVD sales.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
How do they not make money on DVD sales? Typical DVD is around $15. You get several thousand people buying the DVD's and that's not making money?

Lee and Tiffany weren't born with silver spoons in their mouths, yet they own hundreds of acres of prime farm and hunting ground and live very comfortably. You can't tell me they aren't making big $$$ off DVD sales.

I'm sure Lee and Tiffany make money...along with a few others. I guess it depends on your definition of "big money" though. To me, I hear that and think millions. To some it might to $50K.

You're right, a DVD does cost about $15 bucks or so...but there's a bunch of hands in that pot...production company and thier fees and cut, circulation company and thier cut, of course the retailer, etc...the list goes on.

Lee and Tiffany sure as hell aren't getting $15 deposited in their bank account everytime a season of thier show is sold on DVD.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Do your self a favor and google dvd production and editing rates and you'll see how hard it is to make a dollar in the video industry. Some of those rates will knock your socks off. Editing in this area starts around $75 bucks an hour, thats why there are so many DIYers out there. Guys into video love to do it and it is an extra challenge. It is not all about the money most of the time if you can come out even you have really done some thing.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i am one of those guys that love to do it ;)

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

Does this look like a mansion?

I know of 280 acres of deeded land that they have....don't know how much they lease, but that's not a huge chunk of land. Their largest parcel in their county is 80 acres. I do think that the farm ground can pay for itself though instead of relying on DVD sales to pay for it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts