1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
It would appear I don't know crap about huntin' whitetails.:zip: :wink:

·
Registered
645 Posts
A lot of those questions depend on time of year and place you are hunting. Take for example the water hole ?. If your hunting early season and the weather is warm then they are a great place or during the rut they can be very good if there is not a lot of water in the area for the deer.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
That test is garbage,I guees that is just one "deer doctors" opinion that he decided was fact.Theres a loty of conflicts in there...i dont agree that a spike is always a spike,theyve disproved that.And tracking a deer at night with a lantern instead of waiting till the next morning....Cmon dead is dead,that sounded like a coleman commercial

·
Registered
728 Posts
I missed more than I thought I would. Some of it depends on time of year, temperature, actually a whole lot of varibles. Not sure if I agree with all of his answers. I still was humbled. Thought I knew it all I guess.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Relieved

I am relieved to hear others must not have done so well on the test...I was thinking I was crap for brains and I sucked at that test.:cry:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Good post...The test is crap though...

Question #3 and it's supposed answer is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard...What exactly is "in front of the front shoulder" (assuming a broadside deer)...? The side of the neck...?!

Question #6 is equally moronic...If you have a buck patterned that well, then why would your first choice of a time to hunt him be just prior to a storm front when the deer will likely change the pattern in order to feed ahead of the storm...

I was dissappointed to se that Knight & Hale endorsed this thing...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't agree with the answer on #3. In front of the shoulder? Are you kiddin me? Hold high on the front shoulder and shoot...you will shoot lungs or you will hit the spinal cord which dips down lower in that part of the deer. A one shot kill. Not in front of the shoulder. That question is wrong.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The spike scenario has been disproved time and time again.

The best example was one of the breeding bucks at a farm in Alberta. Nice long spikes at 1.5 and 189 and change at 4.5. Of course that was with lots of good deer farm food, but the idea that they stay a spike is supposed to be based on genetic predisposition. I can't believe that anyone still buys into that one.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
my uncle put it well the other night,

"been trying to figure them out all my life (over 70yrs) and I still don't know crap"

I think thats why we love women and love to hunt the whitetail...we'll never figure them out!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
NerdHick said:
my uncle put it well the other night,

"been trying to figure them out all my life (over 70yrs) and I still don't know crap"

I think thats why we love women and love to hunt the whitetail...we'll never figure them out!!!
NOW THAT IS A QUOTABLE QUOTE :LOL:

that is a really good line your uncle said.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Missed two, but don't agree with the wrong answers.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I know the one's I'mn after live in North America and they grill up really nice.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
About the time I think I have them figured out it is always back to square one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
question number 3

I do not totally agree with the quiz but some of the questions true, but question 3 I have killed a dump truck load of deer and i have hit them every where possible since i was a kid. I have watched deer run off that have been hit above, behind, or dead in the front shoulder as well as gut shots and hine quarters. three places that will drop them in there tracks every time, spinal column, neck and head every one i have ever shot has dropped when it was shot there. Now i am not saying that you will never drop a deer if you shoot it in the front shoulder cause dropped many in there tracks like this. but those three places have never failed ME. Thats my opinion.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I shoot all my deer in front of the shoulder with my rifle. I haven't had one so much as even take a step after doing so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts