Archery Talk Forum banner

How much do you think a quiver effects shooting?

1385 Views 16 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Africanbowhunter
I sighted in my hunting bow without the quiver on. My friend said it would change the point of impact. I don't know how much it effects because I made my longest shot at 40yds. And I noticed no difference in accurracy.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
I've never noticed any difference in POI, though it does balance the bow differently, feels a bit different at full draw.

~AK~

· When's bow season start?
9,222 Posts
I did some experimentation shooting with the quiver on, off, and back on with as high as five and as low as one arrow left in the quiver. I did not notice any measurable difference in accuracy or POI, as long as the wind was calm.

I did notice differences while shooting in windy conditions, especially if you are hit with gusts just as you are beginning your release. Plus, I find holding a quiverless bow more convienient while in a treestand.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
With the off balance feel and addititional torque that a typically heavy attached bow quiver can add, especially in windy conditions, I have seen 3 to 4" of POI change towards the "heavy" side at ranges beyond 30. It seem that todays sleeker, better fitting quiver models have less effect than this however. With the TR Ridge Hunter on my current VTEC rig, I'm getting very close to the same POI at 40 yards unless gusty winds are pushing my bow all over. :cool:

· Registered
1,402 Posts
I've thought about,,,,,,

taking my Kwikee 6 shot quiver off and purchasing the Ultra lite 3 shot Kwikee just to keep the quiver on the bow in the tree stand. The UL is not that expensive if I don't like shooting with it clipped on. Truck is usually only a 10 minute walk away here anyway [more arrows].
what think?
Alan in GA

· Registered
2,457 Posts
I never leave my quiver on while im shooting or hunting. I just didnt like the feel, when I put it on and try to shoot, it feels like im almost holding it or pusing it the left, without it, it feels like my bow is floating. Plus its a already enough trouble to swing your bow in a treestand to get on a deer. I wouldnt want to contend with a quiver with 5 arrows in it. I always hang mine in a tree, and it only takes like 3 seconds longer to get a quiver from it than if the quiver was on my bow, most of the time, I only need one, but I know like everyone else on here, stuff happens, and a second shot may be in order.

· Registered
19,468 Posts
I see a difference with one on and dont like it. Last year I experimented with turning a 2 piece quiver upside down and I couldnt feel any imbalance that way.....so give it a try. :thumbs_up

· Registered
585 Posts
In the old days,quivers were heavy and bulky,add a few aluminum arrows and the result was a bow very unbalanced.Todays quivers are much lighter and mounted close to the bow and the addition of three or four ultralight carbons does little or nothing to deter accuracy.I use a tiny,two piece,four arrow Hoyt quiver on my Hoyt and it shoots great.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
If you sight in without one....it will make a difference

in your left to right impact. The further you are from the target the more the difference. Sight in without a quiver, then fill your quiver and shoot from say 40 yards...you should see a difference.

Randy Ulmer wrote an article on this issure a couple of years ago, his testing revealed that even if you sight in with a quiver on, as you remove arrows from it, there is a slight difference in the point of impact incrementaly....

j

· Registered Elker
7,969 Posts
WVBowsmith hit it on the money. Changes the balance and yes, the bow shoots differently as the arrows disappear although minimal but verify how much before going into the field.

I will say that a bow with out a quiver is light and I can keep at full draw longer.

· Registered
4,165 Posts
None. I use the alpine sioft loc 5 arrow. I think i shoot better with it on b/c of the added weight.

· Registered
4,249 Posts
George Sadler, who used to own Astro Bows back in the 1970's, once told me that a bow-mounted quiver (I had a Kwikee quiver at the time) would change the POI versus having none. I didn't see how that was possible, so I tested it in my basement at 17 yards.

Having the Kwikee mounted moved my arrows about 6 to 8 inches left at that distance, if I recall correctly. After seeing that, I dismounted the quiver and have not shot with one on the bow since then.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
if your not used to shooting with the quiver on and put it on your going to find out how it feels and the balance is going to to change and with some bows it could be quite a bit. if your on a spot and stalk you can buy a nice side quiver or hip and use it but i never felt comfortable with a quiver attached to my bow at any time i was hunting or just practicing. it is a personal choice and i believe it could also be a pain for some shot you might have to take where your in a tight place as well
rob k

· Registered
11,651 Posts
Dr Randy Ulmer report

He tried it Shot 8 then 7,6,5,4,3,2,& lat arrow from 8 Arrow Quiver attached to the Bow

At 40 yards there was 1/2" difference

Most bowhunters that have been around a while learn to shoot with the BowQuiver on like Fred Bear designed it to be used.

In the new Book Balanced Bowhunting11 Dave Holt agrees with Randy Ulmer & Disagrees with Chuck Adams onthe subject

I have killed every game animal I have ever shot with a bow with a Bowquiver On

I have seen client detach Bow quivers once up in the tree and drop them from tree stand more than I care to remember

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.