Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like i keep hearing more and more about the importance of quiet arrow flight. i'm sure anyone who hunts whitetails has seen one "jump the string". the argument that the deer is jumping the arrow noise rather than the bow noise (they don't duck down when you stand up and your stand creeks) seems logical to me. what are your thoughts? ans what is the quietest fletching, aside from feathers. what is the quietest broadhead in flight?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use blazers and shuttle-t's and my arrows are plent quiet. I may be wrong but it seems to me you get more sound out of a broadhead that has holes in the blade.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
makes sense to me. i was thinking about switching from my spitfires to a fixed blade, but was hoping to find a suitable alternative that was less expensive than something like the t-locks. especially since i don't know if i will be able to tune them well enough to fly consistent at 410-425 fps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would be 310-325 fps of course

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
the argument that the deer is jumping the arrow noise rather than the bow noise (they don't duck down when you stand up and your stand creeks) seems logical to me.
Who makes that argument? Take a brick with you to a stand and drop it when a deer is in range. Tell me what happens. :D Arrow noise isn’t the culprit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not that i would recommend standing in front of an archer, but if you are down range from someone who is shooting you can almost always hear some form of a hissing noise as the arrow flies toward you. i would also argue that if i snapped my fingers before i dropped the brick, the deer wouldn't jump out of the way before the brick hit it. again though, this is all more theory than fact at this point in my book.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
every piece of equip. I'm shooting today is tons better than what I had 10yrs. ago, and I was killin deer back then so I don't worry about how much noise my arrows make in flight. JMO.

·
When's bow season start?
8,873 Posts
not that i would recommend standing in front of an archer, but if you are down range from someone who is shooting you can almost always hear some form of a hissing noise as the arrow flies toward you. i would also argue that if i snapped my fingers before i dropped the brick, the deer wouldn't jump out of the way before the brick hit it. again though, this is all more theory than fact at this point in my book.
My buddy (whom I trust implicitly, as he does me) have done tests like that several times, and this is what we have discovered. When the observer is standing off to the side of the target, you can hear the arrow approaching almost as soon as it leaves the bow until it impacts the target. But when you are standing behind the target (or just off to the side by a foot or so), you do not hear the arrow until it is within a few feet of impact. However, in both instances you can hear the sound of the bow pretty much the same.

So, IMO, deer that jump the string (which is really ducking the string) do so due to the noise of the shot, not the noise of the arrow.

I saw some hunting show this past Sunday and the bowhunter was awaiting some big Kansas 10 point, which of course, showed up. He drew and released and the arrow sailed over its back. Although it came back later and he arrowed it (once again, of course :rolleyes:), both the hunter and the cameraman commented on how that buck ducked the string by at least 12". The funny thing was, watching the arrow in flight in slo-mo, you could see that it was going to pass over the buck's back whether he ducked the string or not. :D

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I feel like i keep hearing more and more about the importance of quiet arrow flight. i'm sure anyone who hunts whitetails has seen one "jump the string". the argument that the deer is jumping the arrow noise rather than the bow noise (they don't duck down when you stand up and your stand creeks) seems logical to me. what are your thoughts? ans what is the quietest fletching, aside from feathers. what is the quietest broadhead in flight?
It's much more important to have a quiet bow, IMO. You should test the noise level of your arrows and broadheads, too, but your bow noise will make more of a difference with string jumping.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
the argument that the deer is jumping the arrow noise rather than the bow noise (they don't duck down when you stand up and your stand creeks) seems logical to me.
I totally, 100% disagree with this statement.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I totally, 100% disagree with this statement.
So do I. Watch any of our slow mo video in which the deer jumped the string, or attempted to, and you will see the reaction start immediately at the shot noise. You can't tell me that arrow noise is almost instantaneously enough to make a deer drop down to take off.

Yeah...I keep seeing guys worrying about arrow noise too...and I wonder why the heck guys worry about such things. Bowhunting doesn't need to be that difficult.

·
Registered
531 Posts
If a deer is 100 ft (33.3 yds) away it would take the sound of the shot (bow) about .11 seconds to get there. The arrow would take .3 seconds, so it would only have a little less than .19 tenths of a second to duck. If it didn't duck at the sound of the shot and waited until it heard and reacted to the arrow on the way, I don't think it would have time to duck.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Non of this matters under 20 yards.

It is so incredible to get a whitetail under 20 yards, and if you play it right and stay quiet, your chance of success on the shot goes WAY up.

Quite or noisy set up.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,135 Posts

i'll address this issue
they react to any noise period!
when they are ready to move, they must preload, their legs ,thus appearing to "duck" the arrow .
they will do the same, if your stand squeaks, too loud also.
ask youself this question ...why was fred bear, working on an arrow that whistled, on it's flight, to them?????
the bow, will make more noise, than an arrow at 20 yrds. or so ...now if your standing a 100 yrds. away and x-ringer lets one fly, you'll only hear the arrow coming into the target.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i have placed my video camera on my deer target and faced it towards me while shooting to see if i could hear my bow/broadheads make noise and all i heard was the thwack of the broadhead hitting my target. I tested it out to 40 yards and i couldnt hear my bow or my broadheads. I dont know if this is comparable to a deer since they have better hearing, but i really dont know a better way to test this. I'd say in most cases deer wouldnt be able to hear arrow flight, unless your broadheads were making noise and even then i doubt they would be able to duck from that alone. I think its all bow noise at the shot.

·
Game Destroyer
2,657 Posts
The deer if "jumping" the string will immediately begin moving upon the release of the arrow. I have heard arrows whistle but this is not near as loud as the sudden whip of the bow string. I personally believe it is the sudden sharp sounds that scare deer more...they are adapting to the sound of gunshots and bow strings. Quiet the bow...increase your chances of them not ducking...forget about your arrow noise.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you shoot at a deer that knows you are there or something is not normal aim lower than normal,because 9 time out of 10 it is going to drop at the sound of the shot.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Any situation I have encountered under 20 yards, even when the deer was looking at me (agree, my bow is quite quiet) I can't imagine an old-school noisy bow mattering all that much. I'm not talking about making stand noises or other sounds, but generally speaking, all I am saying is that if your deer is under 20 yards, your success rate, quiet bow OR noisy bow, is quite high if you are worrying about noise. It's not like 20 years ago guys were not dropping deer due to noisy bows. I have a hunting buddy with a 22 year old bow -- sounds like a cannon going off, and when his deer are 20 and under, they are as dead as my deer at 20 or under (providing with both make good shots of course).

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I've seen deer at 20 yards drop like a rug was pulled out from under them. I agree your chances are better, but it's not a lock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts