Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a Hoyt Ignite or a PSE vision. One of the only reasons I would get the vision is for its 33" ATA height. (I do like how it feels/shoots too) I am 15 years old and 5'10" tall. Do you guys think that the 28" ATA height on the ignite is fine? Or would I just end up having troubles with it being too short.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
The 33" ata bow is not a long bow by any means. It's a good sized bow IMO for hunting. Not only should a longer ATA bow hold steadier, but: If you have a longer draw length, you'll fare better with the string angle/anchor point too.
Other things to consider are b/h (brace height). But I think you answered your own question when you stated you liked the way the 33 ATA bow feels & shoots! :wink:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Switching from 34 down to 32 I can even feel the difference.
Think of it as holding a board 2 foot long vertical like you would a bow and a 4 foot board try it with things in your house the shorter board is much more easy to move side to side even at a heavier weight

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Im 6'3" and I've always shot longer ata bows. I finally picked up a new carbon element (33" ata) and I actually shoot it better and hold it better than any long ata bow I've ever shot. It could just be me or the fact that the carbon bows are that much easier to shoot but it's sure working for me.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,377 Posts
There is a LOT more to a bow than ATA. IOW if you shoot brand X 35 inch bow and then switch to brand Z 32 and shoot it better that's NOT and indicator of ATA.....you have switched bows. That's apples and oranges.

You will get a better more forgiving bow with a longer ATA....that's archery 101. What makes the water so muddy is that effect on each person will be different. So really you are wasting time asking others how it worked for them.

You need to take a bow that is offered in two ATA's and shoot them for yourself.....then you will see how much it matters FOR YOU. That's what you are after. But again longer ATA bows are more forgiving......that's why all the tournament bows are longer ATA and longer brace height......that should tell the story.

Where "you" are happy depends on your skills and preferences. A top nock archer will out shoot you and I with a 32 inch bow........but that doesn't mean 32 inch bows are more accurate. The laws of archery still apply.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There is a LOT more to a bow than ATA. IOW if you shoot brand X 35 inch bow and then switch to brand Z 32 and shoot it better that's NOT and indicator of ATA.....you have switched bows. That's apples and oranges.

You will get a better more forgiving bow with a longer ATA....that's archery 101. What makes the water so muddy is that effect on each person will be different. So really you are wasting time asking others how it worked for them.

You need to take a bow that is offered in two ATA's and shoot them for yourself.....then you will see how much it matters FOR YOU. That's what you are after. But again longer ATA bows are more forgiving......that's why all the tournament bows are longer ATA and longer brace height......that should tell the story.

Where "you" are happy depends on your skills and preferences. A top nock archer will out shoot you and I with a 32 inch bow........but that doesn't mean 32 inch bows are more accurate. The laws of archery still apply.
When I bought my Maxxis 35 I also shot the Maxxis 31. It was my first bow and the 35 seemed to have a slightly easier draw cycle and I could hold it steadier. Same brand & model bow so I feel like it is at least granny smith apples to honey crisp apples. I had never shot a bow before so I was no where near an expert at picking bows. I would agree with deadquiet though - my old man has a Z7 Extreme which is 28" ATA. We have the same DL and I shoot his bow often but I have a hard time shooting it as accurately. It is a sweet bow though could be a practice thing I guess.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Im 6'3" and I've always shot longer ata bows. I finally picked up a new carbon element (33" ata) and I actually shoot it better and hold it better than any long ata bow I've ever shot. It could just be me or the fact that the carbon bows are that much easier to shoot but it's sure working for me.
The statement that a carbon bow is "that much easier to shoot" is ridiculous. Sorry, and I hate to sound "condescending" but that's just ridiculous. If you shoot your CE well, it just means the bow fits you. (And it boosts your confidence/"mental state.")
~Nothing wrong with that, but there's not correlation between carbon & a bow being "easier to shoot."

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
it depends on the person. someone new to archery will probably benefit more from a longer a2a bow because they are more forgiving. I have shot bows that had an a2a the same length as my DL accurately. it's all about the fit and what feel comfortable to you. if it's not comfortable, chances are it won't be repeatable and in archery repeatable is accuracy.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
IMO get your draw length correct for whatever bow you choose, when guys say I shoot a 28" bow better than my 33" ata bow, it usually means the 28" bow fits their draw length better. Good length with tame poundage and you can shoot any ata.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im pretty sure my draw length is around 29 inches. 72in. armspan divided by 2.5 = 28.8in.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I just bought my 17 yr old a PSE Vision and he loves it. He had a diamond razors edge which is 31 ata. He likes the Vision more, and seems to shoot it better.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
it depends on the person. someone new to archery will probably benefit more from a longer a2a bow because they are more forgiving. I have shot bows that had an a2a the same length as my DL accurately. it's all about the fit and what feel comfortable to you. if it's not comfortable, chances are it won't be repeatable and in archery repeatable is accuracy.
Draw length is a big deal with regards to ATA. (peep location, torque implications etc.) And "all things being equal", everyone (regardless of experience) while hunting benefit from a "more forgiving" bow! Things happen when hanging from a tree that don't happen when practicing. Fit/feel and CONFIDENCE are huge when it comes to taking a shot at live game. (If a bow doesn't "feel right" to you..... Avoid it like the plague!)

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
the best bow I ever owned was a 31" A2A and my DL is 31". to this date I was more accurate with that bow than any other bow I have owned. according to my draw board, I am shooting the same DL with all my bows.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The 31" bow probably fit your shooting style better for some reason, there is a reason tournament compound and stickbow shooters shoot long ATA bows. Maybe because you are such a goor shooter it does not matter.
As a general rule longer ATA means more accurate. For hunting maybe not such a big deal, you hit a 5" at 40-50 yards that works. But longer 70 meter shots I would say a long ATA is more accurate hands down. Therefore longer ATA is more accurate.

Attachments

·
Mark
5,913 Posts
I like 32" - 34" ata for hunting and general shooting. Better balance and more forgiving at longer shots. The <30" has appeal to hunting for several reasons but I have no issues with my 34" hoyt when hunting. You also need to look at outside distance from top cam to bottom cam as short ATA with huge cams can be just about as tall as a longer ATA with smaller cams or cam position if you understand what I'm saying. When I compare my 34" hoyt to my 32" bow tech and stand them side by side on the floor the difference is less than 1" due to the cams, this reflects overall dimensions and nothing to do with anything else.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I would be more concerned with brace height than ATA.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
The 31" bow probably fit your shooting style better for some reason, there is a reason tournament compound and stickbow shooters shoot long ATA bows. Maybe because you are such a goor shooter it does not matter.
As a general rule longer ATA means more accurate. For hunting maybe not such a big deal, you hit a 5" at 40-50 yards that works. But longer 70 meter shots I would say a long ATA is more accurate hands down. Therefore longer ATA is more accurate.
I agree with everything you said. this is why I said it depends. I do not shoot long distances, 50 yards is my max. also what some people don't take in account for is the shorter A2A bows shoot like longer A2A bows. I say this because on a shorter A2A bow means it's more compact but the draw length has to be made up somewhere. so what they do is increase the diameter of the cams/wheels in order to reach the longer draw lengths. with the larger cams/wheels means the string is rolling off the cams/wheels a lot further away from the limbs axle. so a 31" A2A bow is actually shooting more like a 35" A2A bow. if you notice on the longer A2A bows, the cams/wheels are smaller than on the shorter A2A bows. this is because being longer, they don't have to make up any string length for the draw length.

hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
24,942 Posts
For 3 decades I shot hunting recurves that were 62" in length from natural ground blinds and treestands, so the idea that a hunting bow needs to be short is overblown in my opinion. If you are trying to use a popup blind that is made for a gun hunter instead of an archer, a "micro" bow may be of some benefit. The key to determining ATA is what feels and performs the best for you. When I came back to compounds, I shot a 33" ATA single cam bow for nearly two years, then switched to a 32" dual cam bow that did not shoot as well for me. In 2013 I bought a lightly used 2012 Prime Centroid that is 34.25" ATA and shot it the best of any bow thus far. This spring I picked up a nice used 2013 Prime Impact that is 35.30" ATA and it shoots fine, but the brace height and valley are not as comfortable for me as the Centroid. So a longer bow is not automatically going to be the perfect fit unless all the other design characteristics work with your shooting form for best performance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts