Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im looking at a new bow for next year, i currently shoot an 7" bh 05 switchback, the bow i am considering, Martin Slayer X has a bh of 6.25"

How much does it really effect the shooting? i didnt notice a whole lot when trying it out.

thanks guys,

Dustin

· Registered
1,756 Posts
Dustin
I have been shooting bows this year with brace hight from 6,5" to 8"
What i have noticed mosty is that wenn i start the draw near my bow hand, it place more stress on my draw shoulder.
Same draw weight but higher brace hight is much better for my shoulders.
Regarding accuracy i cant c any big difference.
Good luck
Lasse

· Registered
681 Posts
well im looking at a new bow for next year, i currently shoot an 7" bh 05 switchback, the bow i am considering, Martin Slayer X has a bh of 6.25"

How much does it really effect the shooting? i didnt notice a whole lot when trying it out.

thanks guys,

Dustin
Its got alot to do with the forgiving nature of the bow how much depends alot on drawlenth. Ive heard the slayer is a real nice shooting bow considering the low bh.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Lower BH means the arrow stays on the string longer, which means there's potential for torque errors creeping in. If you're already used to 7" I doubt there will be much difference for you.

· Registered
895 Posts
IMO its mostly just the riser design. Some short brace height bows have extremely reflexed risers that torque easier. I honestly think the whole because the arrow is on the string longer with a short brace height is bologna. If that were the case then short draw shooters would dominate all competitions and people with 30" draws could never shoot as accurate. NOT the case at all.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I use to say I'd never shoot a bow with less than a 7" brace height...Well this year I've owned 2 with 6" brace heights "X-Force & Katera". Honestly for me I cant tell any difference in accuracy with them. Only thing I see is that you have to have your draw length right from the start "which alot of people dont". If you get your draw length where it needs to be I dont think there's any problem with them...Of course with the bows of today it's not as much of a factor...Parrallel limbs and STS type string stoppers make short brace height bows alot easier to shoot.

· Time Flies
13,298 Posts
Low Brace Height

I've never believed the theory that bows with less brace height are less forgiving than a bow with a higher brace height. I think the shootability of a bow has more to do with how the bow is balanced more than anything. Personally, I don't shoot my Scepter II with Nitrous cams, which has almost a 9" brace height, any more accurately than I shoot my Fury, which has about a 6 and 3/4" brace height.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
IMO its mostly just the riser design. Some short brace height bows have extremely reflexed risers that torque easier. I honestly think the whole because the arrow is on the string longer with a short brace height is bologna. If that were the case then short draw shooters would dominate all competitions and people with 30" draws could never shoot as accurate. NOT the case at all.

This is absolutely true, and measureable. Of course that's not the only part of the equation. Draw length plays an important part too. Between the two you can calculate exactly how long the arrow stays on the string before other factors take over.

There are so many other factors and sources of error that BH or DL alone isn't the final determining factor of overall accuracy.

· Registered
831 Posts
You're not going to notice a 3/4" difference that much. However, if you had been shooting a bow with a 9" brace height your whole life and switched to something with like a 5" brace height, you definitely would. For a shorter brace bow, the arrow is on the string longer which forces better form, which is why a higher BH is appealing because the bows are generally more forgiving. That's why a lot of guys who are hunters and shoot 3D in the offseason shoot lower BH bows for practice (they're generally faster too which is nice for 3D), and then go to a 7 to 9 inch BH when hunting season rolls around. When that deer comes in you don't want to be thinking about perfect form, just putting the arrow where it counts.

For the record when I switched from my Switchback XT to the DXT, I did notice the DXT was less forgiving, and its brace height is 5 inches shorter.

· Banned
3,222 Posts
depends on your draw length, if you have a under <28" draw length,most guys can shoot <7" brace with good results.The longer your draw length the more brace you need.I have 30.5"-31" draw depending on set up and prefer > 7.5" brace.8" + the better.

· have bow-will travel
3,997 Posts
What you will notice is the bows with longer brace height seem "easier" to shoot. A bow with a 6" BH and a bow with a 8" brace can have the same accuracy. The 8" BH gets it done a whole lot easier. It is more forgiving of shooter error. Long brace height bows seem to shoot themselves.

· Registered
681 Posts
This is absolutely true, and measureable. Of course that's not the only part of the equation. Draw length plays an important part too. Between the two you can calculate exactly how long the arrow stays on the string before other factors take over.

There are so many other factors and sources of error that BH or DL alone isn't the final determining factor of overall accuracy.
I agree there are many factors in a bow that determines its shootabilty ata,bh and riser desigh to name a few. However shortdraw archers do have a advantage in a sense of forgiveness. Shoot what you want but bh does factor in with a lot of other thing that make a bow fit you. The main thing is get a bow that fits you dl and dw. I can shoot the cheapest bow on the market better if it fits than the best that doesent.

· Registered
681 Posts
I agree there are many factors in a bow that determines its shootabilty ata,bh and riser desigh to name a few. However shortdraw archers do have a advantage in a sense of forgiveness. Shoot what you want but bh does factor in with a lot of other thing that make a bow fit you. The main thing is get a bow that fits you dl and dw. I can shoot the cheapest bow on the market better if it fits than the best that doesent fit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.