Archery Talk Forum banner

How MUCH does customer service impact your purchasing decisions.....

1157 40
I have been very pleased with a particular piece of equipment that I accidentally damaged. In an attempt to determine if a repair is possible or perhaps make an upgraded purchase I have spent in excess of 11 hours on hold, sent 7 emails, and completed two 'contact us' forms from their website over the last 8 business days trying to contact the company....I have had zero response other than an automated we're experiencing high volume of contact, we'll be in touch bologna.

This is infuriating and prompted me to research a little and it appears my CS experience falls into the majority of other experiences shared. As such I reached out to a competitor who keeps EST hours. I reached out at 4:00PM last evening and their site indicates they close at 5PM. I had a very thoughtul and thorough response when I awoke this morning.

I think my mind is made-up in so much that I will no longer support nor endorse the first company, but I am curious as to the value our members place on CS and whether or not a bad (or my case non-existent) experience would be enough for you to leave a brand/product you have had little to complain about and perhaps even endorsed.

FYI...the original company is NOT a small mom and pop type where the staff may all be out hunting, in fact, some may say its an industry leader.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Very much so. All companies and the engineers working for them can make duds. We're all human and can make mistakes. But how you as a company respond to that mistake is everything. There's 1 company I can think of that treated me and everyone who bought the product like garbage after they all left the factory defective and I'll never ever do business with them again

· Registered
59 Posts
Customer service is huge to me. If I encounter poor service, I'll avoid that business in the future. It's actually how I got into doing my own work on my bow - had a terrible experience with a local bow shop and decided never again.

· Registered
259 Posts
Probably #3 on the list when purchasing.

With that being said, if a company has “great customer service” bc their **** is always breaking or being recalled, then that’s a different matter. A customer service team that gets lots of love once offered me a couple of hats and stickers instead of correcting a billing mistake. I haven’t bought from them sense despite their growing popularity and product line.

· Registered
12,594 Posts
For me, ideally I NEVER have to call them and never have to find out. If I have to call someone's customer service once or twice in a lifetime of product ownership, I guess I can give them a pass.

But if I need them and call and have a :poop: experience or get the run-around, it will probably be the last time I buy that companies product.

So far there are only a few companies I've dealt with where the CS was intolerable.

· Archery Addict
10,093 Posts
The times I've needed customer service for a product I've always been treated really well. Three different sight companies (HHA, Black Gold, Trophy Ridge), one arrow rest company (Ripcord), and one release company (Trufire), and one treestand company (Summit) and they either repaired or replaced the product in very quick turnaround times. That's why I buy almost all of my products from those companies. I once had a limb on my Ross Cardiac 33 break and Ross was not in business anymore. I contacted Mike (forgot his last name) and I was sent 2 new limbs to take to my local dealer to put on at no charge. PSE took care of damaged cams in quick fashion. I've contacted a few bow companies with questions and all have either emailed me back or called me and answered my questions. Some of the customer service reps took up to a week to get with me, some just a few hours. Absolutely none of them ever treated me badly at all. Most of the companies have reps that are often here on AT and I contact them and ask for assistance. They either handled the issue themselves or put me in contact with someone who I could deal with. Good service means return business! Bad service and I'll go elsewhere next time.

· Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
2,186 Posts
Very much so. Last I want is to make a phone call and have to press numerous digits to be connected to a dude who also runs a Kwik-E-Mart on the side. Then having to close my eyes and open my mouth so I can really concentrate on what he/she is saying. Or zero reaponse from that so called archery company is the worst...at least the previous picked up the phone. Customer service is everything to me these days. Four come to mind that I've had positive interaction with over the past few months. MBG, HHA, Bowfinger, and Illumapin.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
Customer service is important but so is price. I guess I probably lean more on the price side when evaluating options and in some situations can be willing to sacrifice a CS experience for lower initial investment. but its good to know this going into a purchase. however when all else is equal, sure CS is def a factor. But i think it really depends on what i'm buying and how I prioritize that purchase. Some things I will cheap out on while other things absolutely not. This is more of a personal preference as i'm sure some things which I'm okay with a cheap option others woudnt be and vice versa.

· Registered
106 Posts
CS always helps breed brand loyalty. Once i like and trust a certain brand i will continue to us it until, i find something that's truly better with same CS, or if the CS and quality of favorite brand goes to ****.

· Registered
941 Posts
I have been very pleased with a particular piece of equipment that I accidentally damaged. In an attempt to determine if a repair is possible or perhaps make an upgraded purchase I have spent in excess of 11 hours on hold, sent 7 emails, and completed two 'contact us' forms from their website over the last 8 business days trying to contact the company....I have had zero response other than an automated we're experiencing high volume of contact, we'll be in touch bologna.

This is infuriating and prompted me to research a little and it appears my CS experience falls into the majority of other experiences shared. As such I reached out to a competitor who keeps EST hours. I reached out at 4:00PM last evening and their site indicates they close at 5PM. I had a very thoughtul and thorough response when I awoke this morning.

I think my mind is made-up in so much that I will no longer support nor endorse the first company, but I am curious as to the value our members place on CS and whether or not a bad (or my case non-existent) experience would be enough for you to leave a brand/product you have had little to complain about and perhaps even endorsed.

FYI...the original company is NOT a small mom and pop type where the staff may all be out hunting, in fact, some may say its an industry leader.
Customer service is the most important thing to me next to price.

· Uncredible
3,168 Posts
Customer Service is a big one for me. I had one companies bow need limbs under warranty and It took 9 months to get it done.
Different companies bow needed lighter # limbs made one 15 minute phone call and they had them at my door in three days. Now I own a 3 of the second companies bows and Sold off all but one of First companies Stuff.

· Huntoholic
2,542 Posts
We don't always know about customer service until we need it, when it is good I thank the person for their help and I will be a loyal customer when it's really bad or non-existent then good luck at getting a second shot at me.

I have spent my life in the repair end of a business that sells and services industrial mechanical and electrical equipment. I have given up nights, weekends, and holidays, and I have missed family gatherings, my children's plays, and ballgames, hell I have even left my own birthday party to go on a job, but it was all to take care of our customers, this is why I do not tolerate sub-standard customer service anywhere.

· Registered
Hoyt CD34
1,766 Posts
Suppose customer service has been low on my priority list Given my track record of buying Used 2 year old equipment that has historically had the bugs worked out & or proven to be a non issue. Perhaps I have just been lucky. Though thus far my need for support has been near non existent. Though my purchases have been of a top or the top tier brant on the market & then their top tier product that has already been tested for a year or more.

Really like the CD 34 years after my initial purchase.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
Sometimes it's a non issue, sometimes it's the absolute determining factor.
Case in point, there are basically 2 "big" names in aftermarket grip in the olympic/ILF recurve world. One doesn't have a phone, no email, just a "contact us" form. I sent multiple forms and went as far as to message their FB page and waited 2 weeks and never received reply( Still haven't 3 months later). The other, answered multiple emails and a phone call in very timely manner. It became an easy choice who to give my money. By all accounts the first company is ran by a good dude but I can never give him a dollar if they're unreachable and can"t answer the 1 simple question I had.

· Ad Meliora
21,353 Posts

So your not “Ravin” about their CS? 😉

I definitely choose to avoid poor service. Sadly it is getting harder to find good service, the desperation for workers has lowered the bar of acceptability quite a ways.

· Registered
6,615 Posts
It means a bunch to be. I hate when a guy who is clearly in another part of the world answers the phone and says, "this is Bob, how can I help you". Yah sure and my name is Mohamad.

I recently used the contact form for Athens because there is an older in the classifieds. I used the form on a Sunday evening just after dinner. About 9pm I had an e-mail from the President of the company answering my question. I was impressed !!!!

· Registered
4,534 Posts
It makes a big difference. Thankfully, the higher tier stuff (Spot Hogg, Hamskea, Carter) has good customer service.

Bad customer service and also a company moving manufacture to China and having their quality drop are 2 pet peeves.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts