Archery Talk Forum banner

How much does not using a bubble level affect accuracy?

2534 Views 25 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Raf Morgan
I am thinking about getting the Spot Hogg Bulletproof sight and it does not come with a bubble level. All my other sights I have used came with one and I used the bubble level on them.

So this leads me to my question: How much does not using a bubble level affect accuracy out to 30 yards?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
659 Posts
Out past 30 yards I have found it will make a significant difference, below that it is not as critical.

32,934 Posts
I've found out that shots will be right of left when the bubble is not level. I check mine every now and then when i start grouping to the right or left. Not al whole lot but enough to watch the bubble again.

· Registered
5,670 Posts
It does absolutly nothing for me. I shoot just as good without the bubble level. Hell i dont even look at the bubble level when i'm shooting. It seems like too much to try and hold steady, get your pin on target, and look at the tiny little bubble level on my axcel armortech. It's so small i can barely see it.

· Registered
1,808 Posts
Yep, I check my bubble every time. It seems when I do my arrows are hitting left or right.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
When shooting a targets, Yes!

When shooting at game, No!
What's the difference??

Do you intend to shoot at game?? Do you want to hit where you are aiming or is close good enough??

If you have the tools available, USE THEM!!! I check my bubble EVERYTIME I draw my bow. Whether it's paper, foam, or fur I want to make the best shot I can make.

Not checking the bubble on game is like saying that an 8 is good enough in 3D or being happy with a 4 on paper.

· Registered
10 Posts
Just started using sights after shooting barebow all summer and I have found the bubble level to be really handy, just as part of my pre-shot routine to help me collect myself before the shot. Haven't got a chance yet to see if my routine holds up when shooting at game though...:(

· Registered
2,768 Posts
I couldn't imagine not having a level now after shooting one for a few years. I feel it makes alot of difference, especially on longer shots or 3rd axis while in a stand.

· Registered
5,103 Posts
shooting 3ds and game in this country where i live a bubble level makes all the difference in the world......not so much on game but the location of the shooting stakes are on very unlevel ground in most 3d shoots we have around here.........Dave

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Spoon my thoughts exactly !

Lets shot a little respect for the game we're hunting !
What's the difference??

Do you intend to shoot at game?? Do you want to hit where you are aiming or is close good enough??

If you have the tools available, USE THEM!!! I check my bubble EVERYTIME I draw my bow. Whether it's paper, foam, or fur I want to make the best shot I can make.

Not checking the bubble on game is like saying that an 8 is good enough in 3D or being happy with a 4 on paper.

· Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't use a level when I shoot pins as we are not allowed them in our Bowhunter Unlimited class in field archery, so I just check all my pins are vertical and not leaning one way or the other. This for me does the same job (nearly) as using a level.

· Registered
4,383 Posts
I think I just naturally use the vertical trees as a guideline when hunting. Hard to see the tiny bubble unless conditions are favorable. Now that you mention it, I'm going to do some "what if" shooting today to see how much it effects my shot placement out to 30 yards.

· Bent Not Broken
3,451 Posts
If you can draw and do everything right everytime, then it doesn't help. That said, I find myself canting sometimes from odd shooting postions and when standing sideways on a hill. I still use mine because of that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.