Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started using a clicker to try to correct a lot of nock left and right arrows that I thought might reflect inconsistent expansion.

Thing is, my arrows seem a bit long. Prior to expansion, the clicker is right at the end of the shaft, not on the point. I have pin points that are about half an inch long. So I’m expanding half an inch to drop the clicker.

Question is, is that too much? Maybe this is just the road to a longer draw length? It’s exhausting, but I’m able to do it. Does that mean it’s more right than wrong?

Arrows are 30.5 inches nock to tip. Clicker is as far forward as it can be and still strike the standard aluminum barrel clicker extension.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like you are over-expanding a bit too much to me.
I am a newb with clickers too and got made fun of on here for having mine setup with 1/4” of the point tip.
Pull to your full comfortable, expanded draw and have someone mark your arrow at a reference point (like the rest or the clicker you have now) so you can see where you are at. That’s what I did at least and the I cut my arrows down so that I could install my clicker.
Then do some bare shaft tuning to make sure you are even in the ballpark with your arrows.

You will get some much better responses than mine shortly 🙂

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's pretty far. A couple of millimeters is about right and ideally expansion takes about 3 seconds start to finish.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Sounds like arrows are too long or clicker needs to be pushed out.

On the other hand, if you are expanding cleanly, and you aren't dragging the string off its reference anchor points on your face to drop the clicker, then I would suggest that you're not in alignment/barrel not fully set/whatever term you prefer. That should be set even before drawing. I would get a coach or experienced Oly recurve archer to videotape/provide feedback.

·
Registered
20,757 Posts
B -

If you start rotating your head away from the target to pull through the clicker, or can't comfortably "break" the clicker, the arrows (or clicker setting) is too long.
You want the clicker to be at your full draw. NOT your maximum draw. IOWs, no reserve, no shot.
It really is that simple.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As a non clicker person my 2 cents worth are that 1. I always understood that clickers were for for shot consistency- i.e. theoretically you could set it to click at half draw and as long as you always got to that point you could make adjustments to aiming etc to get the arrow to where you wanted it. In other words it seems you could set it where you feel most comfortable and have a reliable anchor, like Viper said a good place would be full draw not the max you can muster. 2. Don't know your draw length etc but from what you describe your arrows do seem long. Most people I have seen with clickers have arrows cut so the tip is on the shelf at full draw-- not a good thing for a beginner but safe with a clicker.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I just started using a clicker to try to correct a lot of nock left and right arrows that I thought might reflect inconsistent expansion.

Thing is, my arrows seem a bit long. Prior to expansion, the clicker is right at the end of the shaft, not on the point. I have pin points that are about half an inch long. So I’m expanding half an inch to drop the clicker.

Question is, is that too much? Maybe this is just the road to a longer draw length? It’s exhausting, but I’m able to do it. Does that mean it’s more right than wrong?

Arrows are 30.5 inches nock to tip. Clicker is as far forward as it can be and still strike the standard aluminum barrel clicker extension.

Thanks for any advice.
Your clicker should be set so that at full draw there is only about one or two millimeters or 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch of the point left under the clicker. It takes a lot of practice to develop the body control to do this consistently. To start off with, 3/16 to a 1/4 or 3 to 4 mm is probably what you are going to end up with initally. Anything above that will prevent you to develop solid clicker control.

If the clicker you are using will get extend far enough forward with the arrows you are using to allow you to set it right, AAE has some clicker options to help you with that: https://arizonaarchery.com/products

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks as always for the feedback and advice. I've practiced with the same arrow/clicker setup for a few days now. The extension is getting easier, but I notice that my initial draw length hasn't budged at all. While I can execute without any shift in my anchor point or turn of my head, the fact that I'm not moving toward a longer draw length makes me think the arrow really is just too long. Of course, as suggested, I could just have terrible alignment.

It takes about 5 seconds to smoothly expand past the clicker. That's too long. But I have to say, it really adds an interesting dimension to the shot. So much more suspense.

·
Registered
20,757 Posts
B -

It takes about 5 seconds to smoothly expand past the clicker. That's too long.
No it's not. Just don't sit there and enjoy the picture.

Make sure you spot the clicker as you approach/are at anchor, you need to be within mms of the break.
If it takes 5 seconds, fine.
You can work on shortening that as things solidify.

Viper out.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Much of the time more than a few top level archers take 5 seconds or more from anchor to clicker-break. It can vary from shot to shot, but it takes-what-it-takes. If you have the reserve strength/stamina to be patient and wait for each '10' to come to you, you'll be a much happier camper. The majority of archers don't have those things (strength/stamina to exert 'easy dominance of their bow weight/draw') and force too many a shot before its time.

Setting a goal of 1mm is a pretty lofty aspiration for an amateur/not-elite archer. Nothing wrong with that as a 'goal to work towards', but if you have it as an 'expectation', get ready for a LOT of frustration/irritation with yourself. Most people don't have the strength/stamina/enough-time-to-perfect-their-draw/anchor/expansion to that degree.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not just the time it takes to click. It's still the length. That half inch takes it out of me. Was practicing yesterday and put four shafts touching each other in the bag. Then I got so shaky on the fifth that I released before the break and nearly missed the whole target. I'll get the shafts cut down a bit. Maybe a quarter inch? That would leave me some room to grow my draw length through improved alignment. Don't want to throw my arrows too far out of tune.

·
Registered
20,757 Posts
B -

You know all we're doing is speculating right?

If your arrows really are "too long", yeah, cut them down.
However, you'd be surprised "that last 1/2" (or less) is more between your ears than in your shoulders.
Just sayin', since we can't see you from here.

Viepr1 out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks as always, Viper. I would guess most of my problems lie in that same, fairly narrow space.

·
Registered
20,757 Posts
B -

Usually guilty of that myself...

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:
Got more comfortable with expansion without cutting arrows down. It helped to close my stance. Still a long stretch but my stamina is improving. Groups were great at first. Vanes all touching. Now they have gone erratic. Suggests I’ve developed some way to cheat for the extra draw length. When I practice expansion without a bow, it is natural to rotate the rear shoulder back. When actually shooting, most of the expansion seems to come from pushing the bow shoulder.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Can you buy some super cheap arrows, and cut them a few mm shorter, then shoot them?

Even better, as Viper1 suggested, get video of you shooting your current arrows. Then we can chime in with our expert remote coaching tips lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts