Archery Talk Forum banner

How much longer will this last?

1284 16
Is this string wearing normally or am I doing something wrong? Is it time for a new one or do I have a while yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,359 Posts
That appears to normal wear and tear. I have found that with endless loop strings, the string loops are a little more robust as the loops are served.

I shoot a lot and replace my strings every two years and I unstring my bow when I am not shooting.

I think you are fine for awhile. Hard to give you an exact date of when your string will fail.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
2,359 Posts
This is a little over a year but probably only two months of shooting every day. I always unstring the top and that is the worn loop.

Your top loop wears faster as that is the one slides down your limb when your string your bow.

In my opinion you are fine for the rest of this season. I reserve my loops once before the string gets replaced.

I would not serve over your loops on a Flemish twist string. That is another reason I try and shot an endless loop string.

I have one Flemish twist string that looks like yours that is two years old with oretty heavy use and it fine, safe to shoot. Replace after the season.

Don’t let this sour you on Flemish twist strings, they are easier to twist up or down to adjust brace height and built correctly they are tough as nails. There is a reason most people I know use them.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
That's still a new string. It should look like a new string. It looks like there's a sharp edge there someplace. I would remove the string and carefully inspect to see how many strands are worn through. As cm shooter said, take some sand paper to the string groves to remove any sharp edges.

It's a common problem and easy to fix but I'd fix it.

Regarding hunting season...it isn't hard to set up a new string but it's a good idea to go into hunting season with more than one string set up, shot in and ready to go.

·
Registered
22,448 Posts
Would say not string notches but side of limb when unstring the bow. Would get a stringer
that allows you to take tip lope off the tip & hook a rubber band to it to hold it from coming untwisted. Wear on loop I believe from sliding against side of limb. That is one reason why most use end less lope strings as the serving protects the strands. Shot a lot of recurves from 1959 to 1972 & have shot both flemished & endless lope strings.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have the bow tuned and hunting season starts tomorrow so I would prefer not to have to replace it till after the season.

Take some measurements now if you are happy with the way the bow is tuned. Then it will be a five-minute job to put a new string on and set the brace height and tie on or crimp on your nock sets.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Atthis point, i would get a second string, get it set up to match the one you are using now, keep this one in your pack as a backup. after that, if you dont like how the new one is shooting, put the new/ set up strin as a backup and hunt with the old one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Take some rolled sandpaper and work the string notches to get rid of sharp edges and make them symmetrical and smooth. It should not wear significantly at that spot. I've been shooting 57 years and have not had that issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I should have thought to have another backup string but as I am pretty new at this it never occurred to me. I don’t think any of the strands are broken. I’ll try and see if there are rough edges and get that taken care of.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The loop looks like it could use a little wax, but that could just be from the wear. I understand your hesitation to replace the string at this time. My philosophy is a little money and time to put on a new string is a bargain compared to the the possibility of breaking a limb. Best of luck.

·
Genesis 21:20
25,256 Posts
That string groove on the limb could use a rattail file or chainsaw file to smooth it out. But that string has plenty of life left.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts