Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and i are having a debate and sending a tooth in to have a deer aged. I shot an 8 point basket racked buck nov. 28th. He scored 100 inches and estimated live weight was around 200lbs. He yielded 66lbs of raw venison (we process ourselves). Historically we have gotten around 42lbs for an adult doe, 47-49lbs from a 1.5year old buck. We live in illinois on great ag land. If you could post your meat results (venison only) and the age of the deer. Would be curious to know age, meat, and location.

· Registered
310 Posts
Around 40% for me, processed myself.
So your saying 40 pounds of meat from a 100 pound deer? That's crazy, if you don't bone out shoulders, your loosing 25% of your meat and does that also mean you don' use neck meat, here are great steaks on a mature deer's neck.

I'm from NC, and our biggest mature bucks are normally 180-220 pound animals. There are high agriculture areas which may have the ocasional 240-300 pound buck, but those are mainly fat animals not meat. I am sure a longer taller animal would have an adjustment up in meat percentage but I can't see by more than 1.5-2.5%..........

I feel like you get more meat off of a mature doe in pre season than in late season. I also dry age deer if at all possible which raises quality, but you loose quantity because a lot of the meat dries out.
20-25% meat
22% guts and organs
30% bone
13-15%hide and fat
4 %head, hooves, horns,
the rest is going to be waste. At least 3 percent will be membrane, blood skirt.............on a bigger deer the bone might drop 1% and the waste 1%, but the other numbers would be close to the same.

· Registered
240 Posts
From the mature mule deer buck I got this year I netted 65-70# lean meat.

I needed to quarter him to pack him out and didn't weight the quarters, but I'm guessing the quartered meat was somewhere in the 90-105# range.

· Registered
71 Posts
Huh... I guess my processor must be doing something wrong.
176lb dressed buck=91lbs of steaks, roast, loins, and hamburger.

Edit...

Going back through my past deer, I average around 40% return.

· Registered
36 Posts
First I am located in the mountain west, so the best crops the deer I hunt have to eat are alfalfa, and even that is scarce. I've shot many mule deer and 3 whitetail, as well as many elk. I process all myself and generally expect under 40 pounds from a young buck and 50 pounds would be a pretty good size whitetail buck. I think maybe 60 pounds from a large muley buck is what I've gotten, but it's been a while so wouldn't be dogmatic about that. My wife likes consistent size packages of meat, so I weigh every single package when I process and therefore I have a pretty darn good idea what I'm getting. This year my 125" rack white tailed buck gave me 37 pounds which includes the plastic bags. I agree with a previous poster that 25% of live weight is about what you'll get for meat. I have found the 25% rule to apply fairly consistently to elk as well, and I grew up on a cattle ranch where I'm pretty sure 25% is what they used for beef as well, but that's a little tougher to judge since a lot of beef is bone-in. In my experience a lot of guys over guess how much meat they have, part of the excitement of making a harvest I think. I used to over guess, until I started weighing it. :)

· Registered
7,954 Posts
First I am located in the mountain west, so the best crops the deer I hunt have to eat are alfalfa, and even that is scarce. I've shot many mule deer and 3 whitetail, as well as many elk. I process all myself and generally expect under 40 pounds from a young buck and 50 pounds would be a pretty good size whitetail buck. I think maybe 60 pounds from a large muley buck is what I've gotten, but it's been a while so wouldn't be dogmatic about that. My wife likes consistent size packages of meat, so I weigh every single package when I process and therefore I have a pretty darn good idea what I'm getting. This year my 125" rack white tailed buck gave me 37 pounds which includes the plastic bags. I agree with a previous poster that 25% of live weight is about what you'll get for meat. I have found the 25% rule to apply fairly consistently to elk as well, and I grew up on a cattle ranch where I'm pretty sure 25% is what they used for beef as well, but that's a little tougher to judge since a lot of beef is bone-in. In my experience a lot of guys over guess how much meat they have, part of the excitement of making a harvest I think. I used to over guess, until I started weighing it. :)

I totally agree.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
I got ~41% of the dressed weight of my buck this year in meat, butchered myself. The shoulders still had the bones in the them (not boned out), but other than that it was pure meat. No rib meat, but I did take most of the neck for making sausage.

· Registered
841 Posts
My estimate on the first doe I shot this year was that she was about 100lbs (field dressed). I got almost 40lbs exactly of raw venison out of her. My father was a butcher for a very long time and we process ourselves.

· Registered
4,300 Posts
I average about 40% of the dressed weight of a deer. This has been consistent with whatever I shoot.....buck or doe. I also assume about 45lbs of guts on a mature buck. In the OP's situation my results mimic his. 200lb deer minus 45 for guts equals 155. 155 times 40% equals 62. It seems as though a lot of people figure 40%.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.