Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im shooting a Switchback XT with 28inch draw, 70lbs, and shooting maximum 350 with 100 grain heads. My arrow drops 15 inches from 20 to thirty.. Is this normal? I paper-tuned it and I'm almost shooting bullets. I'm using the zero effect rest and have a little fleaching clearance promblem, but can put 6 arrows in a 5inch group at 40 yrds. I thought I would be able to shoot with 1 pin for 20 and 30 yrds. One last thing my arrows are about an inch or two too long ( the guys at the shop messed up). Please let me know if I'm expecting to much or if I have a bigger problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I paper-tuned it and I'm almost shooting bullets. I'm using the zero effect rest and have a little fleaching clearance promblem,

doesn't sound like it's set up right with the fletches hitting something the arrow is getting out of the bow incorrectly and the fletchings have to work overtime to correct down range. I put lipstick on my fletchings and then shoot, then I look for lipstick on the rest or bow or cables which tells me where it is hitting then I can fix that and then tune. good luck.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Shouldnt be 15 inches in 10 yrds. Maybe 3-5 inches at the Max. I couldnt even imagine what is happening, the bow would have to be slowing the arrow way down. And then you say you are shooting 5" groups at 40. Is your nock point level with your rest? Maybe your nock point is to high. Im lost with this one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't have a switchback, but I believe you have something wrong. If I shoot my 20 yd. pin dead on at 30 I'll be about 1 1/2" low. I'd look at your nock point, sounds like it may be high. If it's ok, check your tiller.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the same setup except for a 29" draw and mine only drops about 4" from 20-30 wiht broad heads.I think you may have your arrow looking down to far or maybe something to do with the clearence issue either way don't get aggrevated you'll get it right just play with it.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I don't think a 45# recurve has 15" of drop from 20 to 30 yds...

Get rid of all fletching contact. If your fletching is hitting the arrow rest causing the tail to kick up.. this could be why you're hitting soo low. Also make sure that the nocking point and rest are set up correctly.. so that the rest is coming to the full up position during the last 1.5" or so of draw.

You didn't say if you were shooting field points or broadheads.. but the blades of a broadhead will exaggerate the problem much worse than w/ field points.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought when I paper tuned it I would find some big tear in the paper, but almost bullets. I have had a couple guys look at my nock placement and all of them say its good. I have to admit that I do not work on bows, but on this one I put the rest on myself. I'm more of a hunter then a tech person. I'm shooting good but just hate that my new bow drops more then my old cheep one, Thanks for the info, I knew I could count on you guys.
Thanks,
Great White

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im shooting feild points. I wish I knew a shop around me in michigan I could bring it to that I trusted.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Paper tuning is about worthless...

The Muzzy isn't exactly the easiest rest to set up if you haven't done it before. I'm guessing that the rest is the main culprit. Does the rest come to the full up position during the last 1.5 to 2" of draw? That's the first thing to check.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Great White

One factor effecting drop is the height of the peep above the arrow at full draw. The lower the peep, the more the apparant drop.

A bullet hole thru paper can be deceiving unless it is repeatable at very close and medium distances. An arrow that is waving up and down in flight will produce an almost bullet hole at some distance.

First insure that bow specs ( ATA, Cam and idler alignment) are correct. Then check center shot and nocking point. Check for fletching contact and eliminate if found.

For my info, what is the Maximum 350 arrow that you are using. I cannot find it in my searches. Are you shooting full 70#s

·
Registered
517 Posts
I shoot an XT 71lbs, 29"DL, 395 grain epics and a whisker biscuit deluxe it shoots 278fps. I have 1 pin sighted for 25yds it is approx 1" high at 20yds and 1" low at 30. I would suspect the rest. There should be no way to get that much drop frop 20 to 40 yds.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Donhudd,
Thanks for the info first of all. I'm sorry but I spell like a two year old. Its the Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
i had to whittle alot of the plastic launcher away on the Z.E. so i could get proper vane clearance. it doesn't hurt it a bit to whittle some off of each side of the v-channel.

oh and the hook doesn't need to be as tall as it is. i immediately hack 3/4" off the hook when i help someone install one on their bow. i really wants to catch things like clothing and tree limbs.

Z.E. is a great rest, just most people don't want to take the time to tune it is all.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
I was reading your post, and it got me thinking:embara: my set up is exactly the same as yours, maybe 2lbs. lighter on draw wght., then I was looking at my walk back tuning picture's, and my drop between 20yds. and 30yds. is the distance from the top of the target to the bulls-eye. That would be about 12"-16":eek: here's is the picture I was looking at:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Oooopppppssssss!!!!!!

Just remember'd those are the Eastons I was shooting at the time:embara: they are about 35 grains heavier than my Maxima's, but I'll find out in the morning, know you've got me curious:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Solocam8 said:
Been shooting baseballs hansel?
NO, but I at times I've felt like shooting apple's off the kids heads:eek: na just kidd'n, why you don't shoot at baseball's?????

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's still baseball season so that makes him perfectly legal to shoot baseballs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts