Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post here. I am in my late teens and heve been bowhunting with my Diamond infinate edge for four years now with it maxed out at just under 60lbs at my draw length and have some money saved up for a new bow. I am looking for a quality bow that will last 10 years or more and really like the RX1. I found one for a bit under $700 and am wondering if this is a good price to pay in almost 2020. Any info would be helpful, and just to cover my bases, what would the answer to the same question be for a Triax?
Thank you

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Not a bad price, and definitely will last 10+ years, Triax will be a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
At $700 you are only a few hundred off a new 2020, just a thought.
I would go to some bow shops, shoot a bunch of 2020's and buy one of those. Now you got a new bow with warranty.
Lots of shops will still have 2019 demo bows or new old stock that will be discounted, less expensive yet and will come with warranty.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Not a bad price, and definitely will last 10+ years, Triax will be a couple hundred bucks cheaper.
At $700 you are only a few hundred off a new 2020, just a thought.
I would go to some bow shops, shoot a bunch of 2020's and buy one of those. Now you got a new bow with warranty.
Lots of shops will still have 2019 demo bows or new old stock that will be discounted, less expensive yet and will come with warranty.
A few hundred is $300....you'll need a few hundred more on top of your $1,000 to get a 2020 carbon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
yeah your basically buying two RX1's for the price of a new RX4. My only concern with the RX1 is the side plate that mounts the sight, some were crooked. I'd probably pay $650 for an RX1 in good condition, your going to be replacing the strings on a two year old bow.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A couple means two. A few means a small number, not many, but more than one. A few can be as low as two. Several, according to its dictionary definition means “more than two but not many”, so a few but not a couple. And some, according to the dictionary means “an unspecified amount or number”. Many is the most out of all these, but is indeterminate in value and could be very few, several, or even a couple.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
As above, concern would be the sight mounting plate and whether it was repaired on the RX1. One thing about any of the Mathews mentioned is that Mathews currently has a policy of still being able to supply parts for any bow they've produced. A bow without damage will last 10 years, but blow one up a couple years after production ends and if parts are no longer available you're just out.

Plan on budgeting new strings for any used bow, you just never know...

·
Registered
629 Posts
As above, concern would be the sight mounting plate and whether it was repaired on the RX1. One thing about any of the Mathews mentioned is that Mathews currently has a policy of still being able to supply parts for any bow they've produced. A bow without damage will last 10 years, but blow one up a couple years after production ends and if parts are no longer available you're just out.

Plan on budgeting new strings for any used bow, you just never know...

That was the RX-3 with the sight plate issue. 700 is a good price for an RX-1. I usually get the new bow, keep the prior year as backup and sell the former prior year. I haven’t liked the RX-3 or 4 enough to move from the RX1 Turbo and Carbon Defiant. We’ve reached a point in the technology where the advances made year to year are no longer worth getting a new bow every year or two unless you just have to have something new. I’d go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think that's a good price and I agree with RK4 the technology has not changed much. For some reason the RX1 caught some crap on here but it is a really good bow (with awesome specs) that will last you a long time. I had an RX1 and two Ultras that I kinda wish I still had. I have my issues now with Hoyt as a company but I can't deny that when a hoyt is "right" there's probably not a tougher more reliable bow out there!

--Also, RK4 is correct. The sight window issue was on the RX3 not the RX1. Good luck!!

·
Registered
24,635 Posts
My issue with Hoyt’s the last few years, mainly a few years prior to the RX3 is the cam synch settings and nock height to get clean bareshaft flight. This varied with draw length but in some settings it wanted bottom cam hitting first or a decent amount of nock low setting, a combination of both to some degree.

With that said, the RX4 is a darn near perfect refinement that I’ve been waiting to see for quite some time.

I will agree with the above, when they are right, they are tough to beat.

They did really well in the RX4. About the only complaint you might see is mass weight, which I really can’t complain myself since it holds so well and is no where near heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
You are right Ontarget 7. I had an 80lb ultra that wanted the bottom cam hitting first and a 60lber that was good with them hitting perfectly in time. Which also made the 80lb bow a little louder then the 60. But once they were shooting, man they would shoot!! I'm really not even shooting Hoyt now, but when it comes to durability and lasting I always remember when I had an 80lb spyder turbo. I was goat hunting in Alaska and my bow was strapped to my pack which was setting beside me while glassing. I bumped my pack and it slid a good ways down a granite wall and landed on granite. I climbed down picked up the bow found a place to shoot it and it was still dead on. They build a lasting product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts