Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted before but didn't get a response.How much travel should a bow press have for complete breakdowns?Limb swaps,clean and lube?I'm about to finish up my homemade linear press and want to make sure I have enough travel to handle the task at hand.Thanks

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I would say if you have over 10" of travel you should be able to break down any bow. Every bow is different.
I would agree.

Mitch

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Look at the limbs of your bow, and measure what they would be if they were straight.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I built a pipe clamp press and the acme threaded rod on the clamp only had about five inches of travel. I got a 12 inch piece of 5/8" acme rod and rebuilt the clamp with it and it is more than sufficient.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Look at the limbs of your bow, and measure what they would be if they were straight.
Yes, this but remember you can also loosen the limb bolts out (per manufacturers recommendations) and this will decrease the bow in the limbs reducing the amount of travel needed. My Harbor Freight jack press has 13" and I've never had a bow that I couldn't break down.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should be able to safely get 24" travel out of the one I'm building.I just hope I have enough overall length

·
Registered
51,169 Posts
Keep this in mind-----the bow you have now is more than likely not going to be the only one you ever own. So you need to build your press so it can press about any bow out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts