Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wanting to add some weight to the front of my arrow. I shoot 55lbs @29in. My arrows are cut to the end of my shelf making the 31 1/4 inches. their Mayhem hunter 350. With a 125 grain head how much more weight can I add before I risk having too much flex on the launch?

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
In all likely hood if you trim those shaft back to 29" you can add a lot.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am also looking into doing that. Once I figure out how much I can add I can start building and looking into what will work best. Thanks for the advice.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
Thew only way you can truly know is by experimentation. Cut your arrows to the desired length and then start adding weight. Brass inserts, heavier points, or 8-32 set screws to the back of your inserts (1" weighs 29 gr) or you can buy the screw-in insert weights. Once you find what won't tune then back of a bit and your set.

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
http://thearcheryprogram.com/ never buy the wrong arrow or cut anything wrong again. i use this program and it allows you to match arrows to your bow before you buy them. its a very accurate program. i spend around 500$a dozen for arrows and believe me i dont want to be buying 2 or 3 different sets to come up with a what id consider a perfect arrow. . i think this program still offers a free trial.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
http://thearcheryprogram.com/ never buy the wrong arrow or cut anything wrong again. i use this program and it allows you to match arrows to your bow before you buy them. its a very accurate program. i spend around 500$a dozen for arrows and believe me i dont want to be buying 2 or 3 different sets to come up with a what id consider a perfect arrow. . i think this program still offers a free trial.
Are they gold?? How do you get a $42 arrow or are you including broadhead and everything

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Experimenting is the best way. I have recently been trying to build a heavy 11+ foc arrow and took the recommended shafts according to OT2 and manufacturing recommendations and what tuned the best was a little of both. You can add weight with the shaft you use until tuning goes out of whack,then you may be able to shorten them a little and bring them back in tune,because shortening them will stiffen the spine. Good luck and be patient.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used an arrow mass calculator and plugged in an additional 100 grains to the front of my arrow and it gave me 18% FOC. and a total arrow weight of 579 grains. Hopefully my bow will tune with that much extra weight. I took off the bulldog collar and cut an inch off the data and it bumped my FOC to 19% and 565 total arrow weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts