Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these pics on the gamecam, about 300 ft from my house. We have had a doe with 2 fawns around for the past 6-7 years. Doubt its the same doe every year but this one does look older to me. The doe looks very thin, and I know 2 fawns must be hard on a doe, but I was wondering if it was because she was possibly getting to old... maybe time to send an arrow her way.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
My thinking on does might be backwards, but it seems it would be better to shoot the young ones and let the mature ones walk. They are probably better at raising healthier and smarter fawns. Besides the young does taste the best.

peace.
unloaded

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My thinking on does might be backwards, but it seems it would be better to shoot the young ones and let the mature ones walk. They are probably better at raising healthier and smarter fawns. Besides the young does taste the best.

peace.
unloaded
Thats the main reason I dont hunt that doe. That, and Im pretty sure my family would kill me. We all live on the same family owned land, and the deer primarily stay in the woods between the houses. But if she is getting too old to stay healthy while having 2 fawns, maybe its time.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Alot of them look thin this time of the year after they drop fawns and they fawns are still feeding on momma...No big deal and I'm sure she'll be fattened up by fall. Most all the does I see in my part of Iowa have either twins or triplets every year, all of them look thin right now "just like every year" but they put the weight on by fall when the fawns are bigger and they are getting ready for the cold weather.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
It's normal to have two. More normal than one.
+1 and a doe with 2 fawns would not normally be affected like that by just having twins. She has something else going on. She might recover and get healthy again though.

I had a doe come in while I was hunting once that was really skinny. I let her go but thought maybe I should have shot her. We kept tabs on her for the next several months and she fattened up and got back to normal.

She may just be sick or something.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread, but i've also got simlar problem here on my land, but momma doe i dont think is as old, I had a shot at her last fall and didn't take it cuz she still had the fawns with her. So this raises the question:
How old/young do you think the fawns would have to be to take momma out of the picture, if at all, and not worry about the fawns surviving on their own.

·
Embrace The Suck!
1,954 Posts
She looks like she is in really good milking shape to me. Go to a dairy farm and look at the cows sometime. She will put on a lot of weight this fall.

A buck's most stressful time is rut to late season for obvious reasons...they thin down chasing the ladies and there is not a lot of nutritious food around at that time of year to recover.

A doe's most stressful time is right now. It's hot, she is milking to feed two large healthy fawns, and believe it or not there is not a lot of nutritious food around in July/August. Things will start growing again when it cools down a little, and she'll start putting on weight for the winter.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
20,436 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread, but i've also got simlar problem here on my land, but momma doe i dont think is as old, I had a shot at her last fall and didn't take it cuz she still had the fawns with her. So this raises the question:
How old/young do you think the fawns would have to be to take momma out of the picture, if at all, and not worry about the fawns surviving on their own.
Most fawns are capable of surviving on their own by this time. They're eating normal deer browse and chewing up my plots already. Not a whole lot mom can do for them at this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.