• Once a week

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Twice a month

Votes: 8 11.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering how often people hunt one stand in particular.

I Was thinking i might be hunting the same stand to much because its the only stand me and my girlfriend can hunt together.

You know i want to be their for her first kill on a deer.

· Registered
4,071 Posts
It all depends. I am a scent control freak and rarely get winded. Also, I never offer movement to an approaching deer unless it is a shooter. In that case I am certain to draw when the deers head is behind a large tree (obviously). What I'm getting at is that I hunt high, scent free, and motion free and rarely get busted. I feel like if I do all of these things I can hunt a stand as ofter as I want without 'burning' it out. If I do get busted by deer then I let the stand rest for a week or so.

Its really what works for you and the deer in your area.

· Registered
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah we get busted about once a week coming to the stand or leaving. Like yesterday we were busted coming in to the evening stand and then we were busted leaving. :doh: And it was really dark when we left. :noidea:

I think were are going to just let it rest till next week sometime.:confused2:

· Broke and Happy
5,030 Posts
Hard to say...This actually a great question because I was going to hunt the same stand I hunted this morning again tomorrow. I too am a scent FREAK and I saw some great deer on their normal pattern this morning, all we very very calm and didn't have a clue I was there. It is a well traveled area that MANY deer use so there is a good chance I will see a group of totally different deer.

As long as you work the wind and your scent is well controlled, you could hunt a stand multiple times a week IMO.

· Registered
4,178 Posts
Hard to answer. I usually only get to hunt on weekends and I may hunt the same stand all weekend or I may hit several of them. Depends on the conditions that weekend and where I have been seeing signs.

· Registered
556 Posts
Every Day

I hunted last year on private land and hunted the same stand day after day. I saw the same deer so often and so regularly that I could have named them. I am certain several of them knew I was there and still they exposed themselves along the same routes on a daily basis. No food plots or licks, all natural setting. It was my first year hunting deer and I was not expecting this. This year they seem less friendly and I haven't seen as many, but its early and there is some loud construction activities going on all around in this urban area (which I am certain makes a big difference on the deer's reaction to people, vehicles, etc.).

· Registered
6,153 Posts
I didn't answer anything as what I do doesn't fit any of the answers. Very seldom will I hunt a stand more than 3 times. Odds are if I'm gonna kill the deer I'm after it will be in the first 3 tries. I move around a lot sometimes only 50 yards will get it done. Everytime you hunt a stand your chances get less and less.

· Registered
496 Posts
I always hunt the same stand. I use a climber and it's the only stand I hunt from. OK, so it's not always in the same tree or area. Usually no more than twice a week, then I move to another area depending on what I have seen and where I have seen them. That's the nice thing about a climber, you can move to where you are seeing the deer movement and no one else knows where you are hunting because you always take your stand with you.:wink:

· Registered
5,643 Posts
I rarely hunt the same stand twice in one week but my father is the complete oppisite. My father believes if you hunt the same stand every day that eventually you will get lucky. One season that comes to mind my father sat an old wooden permanent stand 8 days in a row(he was layed off from work),on the 8th day he killed a very nice 7 pointer that came to his grunt call.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
i think some of you give deer way to much credit

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I hunt mine based on the wind. I try not to hunt the same stand two days in row or more than three times in a week, but sometimes if the weather is right and it seems there will be deer moving, I hunt.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
once or twice a week.

· Registered
390 Posts
i think some of you give deer way to much credit
+1 ....

They aren't supernatural. They trust their eyes, ears, and noses. They are creatures of habit. We just try to read and predict those habits as much as possible. If you hunt a stand and the wind is bad and you are a sweaty hog, then you probably just jacked that one up for a while. If you got in and out w/o making noise and stinking the joint up, why wouldn't you sit in the next day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.