Archery Talk Forum banner

How often do you hunt the same stand?

2781 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  scrapejuice
Hey everyone. Getting everyons opinion on how often you hunt the same stand/blind/area. I have not been out since opening weekend but hope to get out this weekend with the temps coming down and corn starting to come off. If I hunt this weekend and next out of the same stand am I pressuring that area too much come the rut? I did not have alot of time to scout the area i was given permission to hunt this year, consequently I only found 1 solid trail with evidence deer are using that trail. Opening weekend I had 3 does take that trail Sunday evening around 6 pm, that was the last day I was in the woods (9/28) What are your thoughts?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19,977 Posts
there are very few locations that can be hunted multiple times without educating the deer you are hunting,i stay out of alot of my stands till the time when bucks start cruising for does,all of the mature bucks ive taken have been on a forst time sit in a particular stand site.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
i hunt a small farm that has ladder stands. i have a favorite that i always hit. i don't hunt it everyday, but maybe 3-4 times a month. i have seen deer just about every time i've been in that stand

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I think it depends on a couple things.

1) How well you remain hidden from deer once you are on stand, and your access routes to and from the stand. (I'm talking about scent and visual). - If when you hunt it, your blowing scent does not alarm or alert any deer, while on stand or to/from the stand. Then I think resting the stand 3 days is plenty.

2) Where it is located and when you expect the most action(in a funnel, near a bedding area, or near a feeding area). - If you are hunting a funnel, where you expect bucks to be traveling at all hours of the day through the rut and your wind direction is favorable (see #1). Then I wouldn't hesitate to hunt it several days in a row. The buck you may shoot, may have never even been through that funnel that year.

Again, if everytime you hunt it, you are alerting every deer in the area. Then you will soon burn it out and your odds plumet. Try not to hunt it with a bad wind. I believe I would get out a topo and aerial and try to find a couple more stand sites for other wind direction options also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.