Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard several people talk about how they see the same buck over and over again in a given season.

I myself rarely see the same buck and was wondering if this was really that common. I know the 1.5's are like clock work and you will see the same 1.5 quite often. How common is it really to see the same mature buck several times in a season. I've had some guys tell me they seen the same 200 inch over 6 times during the missouri gun season, but I am sure this is a physical impossibility. Just wanted to get others thoughts on this subject.

I actually can think of only a few times where I saw the same mature buck.

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
well usually 3-4 times a week after hunting season depending on how hungry i am:wink:

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I think it depends on the buck, the area that you are hunting and the amount of hunting pressure. When I hunt close to a bucks preferred bedding area(which is my #1 choice) and he does not get bumped out by someone then I may see him repeatedly. If he's good and I'm good I see him only once:)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The younger bucks several times,the big boys,depending on which property I'm on ,sometimes only once to a couple times.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
If he is a god buck Ill likly only see him once in the field within range.

Of course if my buck tag has been filled the story will be a little different. Two years ago I had difficulty filling a doe tag. There were two different mature bucks I had seen on two separate occasions each.

The year prior to that I had came close to getting a shot at a 150 class deer on 3 separate occasions. Never did fill my tag that year as I was after that buck specifically. Was just getting back into archery, after a 7-year break away from the sport.:)

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
I see huge mature deer that every year that I had never seen before or since. That should tell people something.

And Who told you they saw the same 200 in. deer during rifle season 6 times? And why didnt they kill him? lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
It really depends on the age of the deer and the time of year. Earley season you can pattern bucks fairly easily. Especially the 1.5-2.5 year olds. I had a 6 pointer I saw last year nearly every time out. I kniknamed him suicide 30-30.

Real good mature bucks on the other hand you may never see before you harvesting them. If they bust you odds are your not going to see them again either during the season. That is how they got big. All of the biggest bucks (140" +) we have taken off the property I hunt on we never saw before we shot them.

During the rut though I have saw some good bucks 3.5-4.5 several times during a week, or even during a day. Last year for example I was hunting one 10 point I saw early in the bow season hard because he was the only shooter buck we saw on the game cams,. or in person. I had one run in with him early season with no shot. I didn't see that buck again till rifle season when I took him, but during the rut I saw 5 other shooter bucks that we didn't even know where on the property. 1 buck we saw nearly every time out for a week straight. It was a big half racked monster. 6 on one side and the other was busted off at the base. Then come gun season we never seen him. A month after gun season we saw that same deer 4 miles away feeding in a standing corn field, while we were predator hunting. This was rather educational.

IMO big bucks travel a lot more than people think. The really mature deer I estimate to have 5-7 square mile range. It's amazing every year we document all the different bucks working the property and then all of the sudden a new guy will just show up and run some of the local bucks off.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
2.5 and younger I will see 3-4 times the older ones 2-3 times if I lucky.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Young bucks fairly often mature bucks usually one and done.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Even young bucks, I typically do not see more than 2-3 times a season. The most I ever saw a buck was 4 times, missing him the 4th encounter. Last years buck I saw him thursday and shot him saturday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I see the bucks alot during preseason scouting but when hunting season and the rut roles around, its hard to find any bucks on my property.

This year I havnt even see a buck yet on my property. Hopefully I will catch one on my trail cam I just put out.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RangerAngler said:
It really depends on the age of the deer and the time of year. Earley season you can pattern bucks fairly easily. Especially the 1.5-2.5 year olds. I had a 6 pointer I saw last year nearly every time out. I kniknamed him suicide 30-30.

Real good mature bucks on the other hand you may never see before you harvesting them. If they bust you odds are your not going to see them again either during the season. That is how they got big. All of the biggest bucks (140" +) we have taken off the property I hunt on we never saw before we shot them.

During the rut though I have saw some good bucks 3.5-4.5 several times during a week, or even during a day. Last year for example I was hunting one 10 point I saw early in the bow season hard because he was the only shooter buck we saw on the game cams,. or in person. I had one run in with him early season with no shot. I didn't see that buck again till rifle season when I took him, but during the rut I saw 5 other shooter bucks that we didn't even know where on the property. 1 buck we saw nearly every time out for a week straight. It was a big half racked monster. 6 on one side and the other was busted off at the base. Then come gun season we never seen him. A month after gun season we saw that same deer 4 miles away feeding in a standing corn field, while we were predator hunting. This was rather educational.

IMO big bucks travel a lot more than people think. The really mature deer I estimate to have 5-7 square mile range. It's amazing every year we document all the different bucks working the property and then all of the sudden a new guy will just show up and run some of the local bucks off.

I was told this was during the MO rifle season that they saw the same buck six times and he was a 200 inch deer. I am pretty sure that they are blowing smoke, but hey you never know.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stanley said:
Young bucks fairly often mature bucks usually one and done.
That is what I tried to tell the guy but wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about. I told him there was no way he saw the same buck that often and being that big anyways.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Josh Michaelis said:
I see huge mature deer that every year that I had never seen before or since. That should tell people something.

And Who told you they saw the same 200 in. deer during rifle season 6 times? And why didnt they kill him? lol
You just want to hunt there......I know your tricks.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
I see the same 4 pointers every time I go out, they camp under my stands. I get one view, maybe two at the shooter buck.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Not many its usually a one shot deal with the deer here although when set up in a certain area I may see the same one twice or more. Usually I see the same doe alot but not bucks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts