Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just came home today with my new Hoyt Reflex Superslam. I picked up a tube of the Bohning Seal-Tite Bowstring Wax. How often should I use it, and where should it be applied (everywhere?)?

Would appreciate any help, you guys are great. :)

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I apply mine everywhere that isn't served basically. I make sure every inch of string or cable is covered. As for how often, I usually let the weather dictate that. In mild weather I may shoot 10 times and then wax it up, but with the extreme heat we've been having in PA as of late I usually shoot twice then wax it before the next time, just to play safe.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I shoot about 3 times a week now---10 to 20 arrows. i usually wax about every 2 weeks. I use a piece of leather to rub the wax into the string---this heats it up a little and the string really absorbs the wax.

todd

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wax Everything

The wax serves to lubricate the fibers in the string and cable(s) as well as keep the strands together to prevent fuzzing and it also makes the string and cable "waterproof". I wax everything - cables, string, all serving - one end to the other. I even wax my diving board to help keep it from rusting (home made with feeler gage material).

You will notice that the string will need more waxing than the cable(s). I wax my bow whenever the string feels "dry" (does not have much wax on it). You will just have to see how the string feels and go from there.

I just rub the wax in with my fingers. That smooths it out and works it into the string well. You don't need to go crazy with the wax - a little goes a long way once you have a coat on and just performing a maintenance wax.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Good advice here. After you wax your string, wrap a piece if serving material (dental floss works) around the string to form a loop. Now pull it snug and slide it from one end of the string to the other. This will remove the excess wax.

I wax my string and cables weekly, sometimes twice a week, but I also shoot a lot.

Darrel

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, just waxed 'er up. Now I have a blister on my finger from rubbing :cry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts