Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some trouble aging this deer. Can't decide if he is 3.5 or 4.5. Either way, I will probably pass on him this year becasue I think he has loads of potential for next year. Also, if you want to throw out a score, go ahead. I think he goes 165-175".

big deer 1.jpg big deer 4.jpg big deer 6.jpg big deer 9.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
What part of the country?

Anyway, I say 4 and 150. Might change my answer depending on where he is....but I really don't see anything over 160.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Iowa. This buck dwarfs the buck I shot last year and he scored 156".

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
You are crazy!!! Kill him:)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
5.5, should net around 160".

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
I think when that neck swells up in the rut he's gonna look a whole lot bigger, he's a mature deer with awesome head gear

·
Mark
5,439 Posts
old enough to die by broadhead.............thats for sure!

Nice buck

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I am having some trouble aging this deer. Can't decide if he is 3.5 or 4.5. Either way, I will probably pass on him this year becasue I think he has loads of potential for next year. Also, if you want to throw out a score, go ahead. I think he goes 165-175".

View attachment 1157206 View attachment 1157207 View attachment 1157208 View attachment 1157209
46 yrs hunting buck, i would guess he is around 3.5 yrs old.good food is causing those horns. his neck/head shows him as being young buck.
i would pass on him aND IN 2 YRS YOU SHOULD HAVE NICE BUCK TO HUNT.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sproulman - I agree with you. I think he is younger than you think. He will get big during the rut, but he doesn't have that big head and sway belly like a 4-5 yr old would. I think if he gets through the season, he will be a booner next year. There is good food around. Tons of corn and soybeans around the 600 acre block of timber.

·
Born yank raised south
16,771 Posts
Yep I was thinking a 3 year old also. The neck and the legs are skinny, the back is straight, the stomach is flat, the eyes are still round and not elongated, and the brisket is not pronounced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts