Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've been hunting on my family farm lately and haven't seen a deer while hunting in over 2 weeks. I put up my trail cam the other day right after a snow and finally got some pics, but they were at night. i was just wondering the age of this deer, and also, do you think if the deer have mainly been moving at night the last few days (based on tracks in the snow) that they will stay nocturnal all the time?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
sorry, I can't help you with aging that deer. As far as movement being nocturnal. Well that should ease up if the hunting pressure eases up. You should start to see more daytime movement as it gets colder and fewer people in the woods.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
its always hard to tell the age of a deer in late winter becuase they are all bulked up for the cold.

she looks to be mature to me...

i would try tracking the deers movement back towards the bedding area in the snow....then set up a stand close to the bedding area.

they might be moving in daylight....but not getting to the food source until dark

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
problem is our farm has no timber on it. they bed on the neighbors land, an antihunter, etc etc. we own 80 acres of corn, with 10 acres of it being its own little sunk in field in the back where we have killed at least a deer each year. i killed on during shotgun season and there is no hunting pressure anywhere nearby except us. so i'm just hoping they come into the field during the day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd say 3 1/2 yrs of age, probly older even. hard to tell without horns. put her down and you'll have the lower jaw to look at for an accurate reading! :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts