·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is 25 acres.

Red outline = property outline
Blue circles = bedding
Yellow arrows = common places deer enter the property
Salmon lines = poor attempt at drawing topo lines (no patience at photo editing)

Prevailing winds are westerly, SW for a lot of bow season ranging to mostly NW through gun season.

The deer hang up on the hill just south of the corn field in the morning before coming across that creek and going to the bedding. The crop alternates between beans or corn every other year, this year it is corn.

With those prevailing winds, is it at all possible to set up on a deer entering at arrow #1 & arrow #2 in the morning? Or would you only hunt that in the evening when they are getting out of bed?

25a.JPG

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I would have to agree. Those would be evening stands. If they are traveling a definite trail at 1, I would hang a stand just north of the trail. With a SW wind it could be a possibility. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is, they don't always all bed there, they can get onto that hill from deeper in the woods in that lower right corner or from off the property, and they can bust you. There are some really thick swampy areas to the south and southeast and across the road that they like to hide in too. Just trying to re-think how I hunt this. I have a stand up about where the #2 arrow points and it has definitely always been a better afternoon stand with the exception of an opening day gun when they were being pushed.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You may want to think about hunting closer to the house. I think you are getting a little too close. That is also set up perfect for west entry and south west and east winds. Try going out in the morning after they have bedded (around 8-9am) and stay till dark. Looks like a great pre-rut, rut spot to me. Worth a shot good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The house is at the north end of this property. We can see the deer crossing the mowed lane right there at the #1 arrow from the back porch. Though there doesn't seem to be any one specific heavy trail, they will cross the creek anywhere along that eastern border. Yesterday morning at 10 a.m. I was in the yard with the dog and one was standing out there. They sometimes use that funnel directly behind the house between the yard and the corn field, we sometimes see them there or hear them blowing at the dog. But most often they hang off that south end of the corn.

I wonder if a blind would make more sense there than a stand, I think the trees there are all the skinny ones without a lot of branches or cover down low, especially when the leaves start falling it's rather exposed. But there is a raised bank on this side of the creek, so if I put in a blind, I wouldn't see them coming until they were over the bank in front of me. In a stand, I'd be able to see across the creek and up into the hillside a bit. A couple of years ago there was a large social scrape the other side of the creek there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
can you use the creek or south end of the property for access to get on the east side of the expected travel route? now would be the time to cut a walking path. the creek would cover the scent on your foot trail and help with cover if its banked, id explore that for a SW wind. doing a hook to the NW using the southern property line would be longer but would help keep your scent off the bedding during a NW wind.

both seem like a great way have your scent cone on the "edge" of their travel, making them feel safer, so they say...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
don't forget about your thermals and use them to your advantage. If the corn field is at a lower elevation than the bedding area then you might be able to get away with a morning sit on the correct wind since the thermals will pull your scent uphill in the morning.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
for arrows 1 & 2: you could probably get away with a N or NW wind for a morning hunt to catch them going to bedding. For an evening hunt you would want a S, SW, or W wind. An easy way to test this is to get some cheap smoke bombs(since it is firework season now) and set off a few of them where you are thinking of hunting to see how the smoke travels in the morning vs. evening with those wind directions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts