Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, BUT I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING A SELECTION TO CHOOSE FROM IN BOWS THAT ARE 33 INCHES OR LONGER AXLE TO AXLE. MY FAVORITE LENGTH IS 34 INCHES. THAT LENGTH SEEMS TO GIVE ME MORE STABLITY AT LONGER DISTANCES THAN SOME OF THE SHORTER BOWS. SEEMS TO BE A HAPPY MEDIUM. NOT TO MENTION, IT ALSO PROVIDES ME A LITTLE BETTER DISTANCE BETWEEN THE PEEP AND MY EYE. I'M NOT SURE WHAT IS DRIVING THIS SHORT BOW MARKET. I'M A HUNTER AND I'M A 3-D SHOOTER AND I SURE WOULD NOT SHOOT ASA OR ANY OTHER 3-D TOURNAMENT WITH A 30" BOW. WHEN I HUNT I DEMAND THE SAME ACCURACY! HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL ABOUT "HOW SHORT IS TOO SHORT?":teeth:

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I bought the Alphamax 32 last February, and shot it all summer for 3D and then hunted with it.
I don't care how long you make a bow ATA it isn't gonna get any more accurate than this thing.
I had the opportunity to hit the release 5 times this hunting season.
3 does, and 2 squirrels.
NO MISSES!
Both squirrels were head shot. One at 21 yards from the tree stand, the other from 15 yards on the ground.

So to answer you question, I don't know how short is too short, but 32 aint it.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I've got a 34'' ATA bow. I'm going longer so the string will touch my nose with my head straight up, not tilted toward the string.

I'm 6'1 with fairly long arms, can draw 29"-30'' even with a loop.

I've shot shorter bows, but my anchor was high to make them work.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
for myself, i like the ata 34" plus. I shoot my DLD much, much better than my Mission Journey.
It's more stable, and the string angle to my anchor is much more comfy.
Thats just me, someone shorter in height may see things differently.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
i was told anything under 6inch :D

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, BUT I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING A SELECTION TO CHOOSE FROM IN BOWS THAT ARE 33 INCHES OR LONGER AXLE TO AXLE. MY FAVORITE LENGTH IS 34 INCHES. THAT LENGTH SEEMS TO GIVE ME MORE STABLITY AT LONGER DISTANCES THAN SOME OF THE SHORTER BOWS. SEEMS TO BE A HAPPY MEDIUM. NOT TO MENTION, IT ALSO PROVIDES ME A LITTLE BETTER DISTANCE BETWEEN THE PEEP AND MY EYE. I'M NOT SURE WHAT IS DRIVING THIS SHORT BOW MARKET. I'M A HUNTER AND I'M A 3-D SHOOTER AND I SURE WOULD NOT SHOOT ASA OR ANY OTHER 3-D TOURNAMENT WITH A 30" BOW. WHEN I HUNT I DEMAND THE SAME ACCURACY! HOW DO YOU GUYS FEEL ABOUT "HOW SHORT IS TOO SHORT?":teeth:
HaHa, you are complaining about not finding many 33+, try finding them at 37+. i totally agree with you. when all i cared about was hunting, i actually liked the short bows. but since i have devoted myself to accuracy, i have really grown to dislike my SwitchbackXT.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hoosierflogger,
32 ATA might not be short for you but it certainly is for me.
The older I get, the worst my eyesight becomes particularly late in the day or early in the morning. I want that peep as close to my eye as I can get it.
But I'll tell you what, in my humble opinion, here's the mentality in the bowhunting world today.
First convince the public that crossbows are the proper tool for bowhunting.
Why, I as an archery manufacturer and you as a pro shop can make more profit by expanding the number of archery related products you make and sell.
Second, produce more speed bows one year that are not only short but have extreme reflex risers with short brace height.
Why, I as an archery manufacturer can make more profit by using less raw materials and you as a pro shop can brag about the improved speed.
Third, the next year, produce more bows that have higher brace heights and less speed but are very smoooooth to draw.
Why, I as an archery manufacturer can still make more money by using less raw materials and you as a proshop can brag even more about how smooth the new models are.

Case in point:
Here's the bowsight link where 8 individuals tested & reviewed new 09 hunting bows.
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2009head2head/

Notice in the test that the new at the time 32" Mathews Reezen 6.5 came in third in the speed category which has been unusual for a single cam entry.
However, notice in the smooth draw cycle test the Mathews Reezen 6.5 came in 5th. out of 5 entries.
Now you can probably guess what will happen in 2010 when the 30" Z7 is reviewed. The draw cycle will be much improved but the only way to improve the speed without compromising brace height will be to shorten the bow.
Pretty soon, we all might as well use crossbows because vertical bows will be as short as they are wide. Actually, I was just being facetious. I'm keeping my stash of the best longer bows released over the last 5 years because I think they will come back in style once the average bowhunter gets completely frustrated and refuses to buy anymore shorties.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mine

mine is short bow i like short bows easyer to move about with in tight treestand and ground blind.

·
Registered
974 Posts
i basically just hunt and like the short bows, but i can see your point, most bows seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How short is too short!

In a nut shell, I'm about a very forgiving bow that is resonably fast and not the other way around. For me that bow has to be at least 34 inches axle to axle with at least a 7-inch brace height and a reasonable draw force curve - I don't like bows that don't break over until they are within an inch of my anchor. Talk about touchy!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
32" is about the shortest, both bows i've owned are/was 32" ATA fits me perfect since i'm 5'9" and 27 1/2" draw, i like the 34" ATA too but i'd say anything shorter than 32" is too short

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
How about a '10 martin warthog (35 ata) or a shadowcat (41.5 ata)?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I do alot of backcountry hunting with a pack for up to a week at a time and wanted a really short bow to use (easier to strap onto my pack and less chance of getting hung up on branches )but needed a bow that would be accurate out to 60 yards and decided a few years ago to get the pse firestorm x and did not expect much from it because of the short ata but was I surprised at how well that little bow shot and was practising with broadheads out to 80 yards and found that bow to be an easy bow to shoot and used it that season to take a blacktail at 60 yards .I wanted to see how short a bow I could get away with and when the pse x force ss came out I had to get one in 2008 and again an easy bow to shoot and I always practise out to 80yards and don't really notice a big difference with my longer ata bows at those ranges .I say shoot the bow that suits your hunting style and try short bows , don't sell em short.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
ive found that my PSE Dreamseason UF is a great shooting bow for me, roughly 34" ATA but i do have a Vendetta XL im hankering to do some shooting with.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hoyt has 5 bow all longer than 34.9" ata. And depending on the cam you want makes them even longer.
I think this year there are more long axel bow than have been in the past 5 across the board from many companies from what I have seen.
But now if you wish to qualify that by saying you want an inexpensive target bow with a long a2a. That has not existed in the past several years from my experience.
A true target bow under $500 just doesn't exist, period.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Hoosierflogger,
32 ATA might not be short for you but it certainly is for me.
The older I get, the worst my eyesight becomes particularly late in the day or early in the morning. I want that peep as close to my eye as I can get it.

I can certainly appreciate that point of view. I know many years ago we used to shoot pinhole peeps, and when I get any of my old bows out to play with I wonder how I ever saw through that tiny hole. Thank God for the circle in circle method.

But I'll tell you what, in my humble opinion, here's the mentality in the bowhunting world today.
First convince the public that crossbows are the proper tool for bowhunting.
Why, I as an archery manufacturer and you as a pro shop can make more profit by expanding the number of archery related products you make and sell.

I don't know about that.
It seems to me that you have basically the same number of potential customers either way. How can one benefit from selling an x bow instead of a vertical?
Also, while I am certainly no expert on x bows, I don't think Hoyt and Mathews and PSE are building x bows are they?

Second, produce more speed bows one year that are not only short but have extreme reflex risers with short brace height.
Why, I as an archery manufacturer can make more profit by using less raw materials and you as a pro shop can brag about the improved speed.
Third, the next year, produce more bows that have higher brace heights and less speed but are very smoooooth to draw.
Why, I as an archery manufacturer can still make more money by using less raw materials and you as a proshop can brag even more about how smooth the new models are.

Yes, I can see your point here. I have always said, you have to pick your poison.
Speed comes with a price, it costs smoothness and forgiveness.
Smooth also comes at a price, it costs speed. There are, however, several bows on the market that are the best of both worlds.
I think my AM is a good example of this.
It is very fast for how smooth it is.
It is very smooth for how fast it is.
It is very forgiving for how short it is.

Case in point:
Here's the bowsight link where 8 individuals tested & reviewed new 09 hunting bows.
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/equipment/2009head2head/

Thanks for the link, very interesting reading. :thumbs_up

Notice in the test that the new at the time 32" Mathews Reezen 6.5 came in third in the speed category which has been unusual for a single cam entry.
However, notice in the smooth draw cycle test the Mathews Reezen 6.5 came in 5th. out of 5 entries.

Yep. Proves what I said above, speed comes with a price.

Now you can probably guess what will happen in 2010 when the 30" Z7 is reviewed. The draw cycle will be much improved but the only way to improve the speed without compromising brace height will be to shorten the bow.
Pretty soon, we all might as well use crossbows because vertical bows will be as short as they are wide.

I completely understand what you are saying, and I agree to a point.
If I were a paper puncher, I would be all about the 40 inch ata, with straight limbs and a 8 in brace height. But I am a hunter, and the kill zone of a deer, (or the head of a fox squirrel for that matter) is quite a bit larger than those little X's. For hunting, I prefer the added mobility of a shorter bow, with parallel limbs. I also opt for the extra speed, that helps take the guesswork out of judging distance.

Actually, I was just being facetious. I'm keeping my stash of the best longer bows released over the last 5 years because I think they will come back in style once the average bowhunter gets completely frustrated and refuses to buy anymore shorties.
We seem to have different ideas, but I don't think either is right or wrong. That' why they make so many different bows, so we can all be happy. :darkbeer:

Happy New Year to You and Yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts