Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost I’m a very honest and respectful person, probably too nice. That being said , I live next door to my uncle and my father owns roughly 20 acres that wraps up behind both of our homes.
Last year I decided to share some trail camera photos with him of some nice deer that I had. 2 days later he put a metal ladder stand right next to my camera. Okay whatever , I get more time to hunt than him and he has a son that is getting into hunting . It bothered me but I didn’t say a thing . Then he invites a “buddy” from work over and kills one of the good bucks that was on film. It was a good deer and his first one , good for him .

So fast forward a year ,I have another camera about 800 yards from My other camera next to a permanent stand I built. I checked the camera periodically from late October to to 2nd week of November. The camera never had any pictures on it . Figured the camera wasn’t working or the scrape it was on wasn’t getting worked at all. A couple days ago my cousin calls me and says “wow those are some nice bucks on camera up behind your house” I told him I haven’t had any and how did he know . He replied that my uncles son (15 yrs old) Sent him a picture of a buck and he recognized the spot. Long story short my uncle has been checking my camera every few days has never told me nor shared any of the photos that have been taken.
It’s more so of a kick in the nuts and I feel extremely disrespected. Am I over reacting ? It’s been eating at me and I haven’t mentioned anything to him as of yet. How should I handle it?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
No real way to handle it since it’s your fathers, and even worse it it came from gramps.

only thing to do is cut him off from you, or find a way to hunt every day.

you can talk but it can become one of those icky family fights. You have got a point on friends though it’s family land

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No real way to handle it since it’s your fathers, and even worse it it came from gramps.

only thing to do is cut him off from you, or find a way to hunt every day.

you can talk but it can become one of those icky family fights. You have got a point on friends though it’s family land
I understand that it’s family and I really dont care about him hunting it, he has for years and will continue . I’m more so irritated over him checking my camera multiple times without mentioning it to me or sharing what was on it . It’s the one thing I can’t wait to do is check my cams when the times comes.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would talk to your Dad about it to feel out what he thinks. My dad would tell his brother to stay off his land because I was hunting and he doesn't want anyone to get hurt with multiple hunters being out there. Everyone will handle it differently but I would first reach out to your Dad because in the end he needs to be the one to make the decision.

·
Back Yard Champion
28,989 Posts
Well, family or not, I'd confront both of them with; Hey, my camera and I'd to see the picture before some one else.........

·
Registered
305 Posts
Unfortunately how ever you handle it your uncle will be butt hurt. If it was my uncle I would tell him to put his own cameras up and quit touching mine. Only family should be hunting on that property unless you dad says other wise due to insurance reasons.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It's a no win situation if you don't like conflict.
Put a lock on your camera, hang multiple stands and hopefully he'll get the hint without words being spoken. As another poster said...I WOULD NOT handle it well. Good luck.....

·
Registered
Quest Amp . Bear Escape SD .Gen X XLR8
37 Posts
I'm not sure what to say. Especially if you don't want conflict. Maybe there won't be any conflict if you speak to him, hard to say. But just reading your post pisses me off. And I need to think on this some more.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've been through something similar. Its going to end up with you pissed off beyond believe more times than not and not enjoying hunting there. If he is reasonable talk to him about it if not hunt somewhere else.
My uncle let a guy hunt his property that Ive always been allowed to hunt. Its a farm split between him and my mom only 100 acres and he has all the good hunting parts of course. I called the guy about letting me get a couple of days to myself there. Because I only get to hunt it once a year. He cursed me out and told me he was going to whoop my ass in the woods. Mind you he was 30 years older than me and literally hunted it every day. Told my uncle about it and he took his side. It was a battle any other time I hunted over there. Not worth the energy find a place you can enjoy the woods.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nope would not work out well with me one bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Had a similar issue. My dad is the sole owner of the property. Uncle invited folks to hunt without our permission. Bottom line, we got together as a family and made a decision to have him off the property. No regrets.

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,037 Posts
My answer - find a new place to hunt.

Any confrontation will only cause more issues between you, your Dad, your Dad's brother/your Uncle, and the nephew that told you. There isn't a single deer walking this earth that is worth family turmoil. You're already mad at the Uncle, once you confront him then your Dad is going to have to choose a side between you or his brother. Then more family will voice their opinion and in the end, it was all over a stupid deer.

is your Uncle a jerk-absolutely. Will you ever do anything for him, probably not. Has this already ruined hunting that land, I bet it has.
Would making a huge deal over it cause long-term family issues, probably. Are you willing to trade a deer for all of that? Some on here will say yes, cause they are like your Uncle.

Go find yourself a new place to hunt, remove all this crap from worry, and enjoy hunting. Good luck.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I personally would not handle this well at all.
Many will say and I agree a deer isn’t worth a family fight.
But a man must respect me and my property family or not.
I would look for another spot to hunt lock my camera and keep what I’m seeing to myself.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
My answer - find a new place to hunt.

Any confrontation will only cause more issues between you, your Dad, your Dad's brother/your Uncle, and the nephew that told you. There isn't a single deer walking this earth that is worth family turmoil. You're already mad at the Uncle, once you confront him then your Dad is going to have to choose a side between you or his brother. Then more family will voice their opinion and in the end, it was all over a stupid deer.

is your Uncle a jerk-absolutely. Will you ever do anything for him, probably not. Has this already ruined hunting that land, I bet it has.
Would making a huge deal over it cause long-term family issues, probably. Are you willing to trade a deer for all of that? Some on here will say yes, cause they are like your Uncle.

Go find yourself a new place to hunt, remove all this crap from worry, and enjoy hunting. Good luck.
This might not be how I’d handle it but this is how it should be handled. I know multiple families and friends who have let deer come between them.

You could also lock your cameras and hunt better or smarter than them. Most a holes I know are not great at hunting so don’t tell them what you’re doing and watch them. I wouldn’t bring it up to them though. Not worth it. It’s also not your dad’s problem unless he specifically only wants family hunting which does not seem the case.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I got kicked out of a rental by a college FRIEND whom gave me permission to hunt his farm back in the day. All over a big deer I harvested. My grandfather’s farm....where I first hunted.....I’ve been pushed out of. I belong to a camp with some great ground. Killed multiple nice deer there.....tree stands have been strategically hung to cut me off. Recently I have had the good fortune to be able to own my own property.....I’m in charge now. That’s about the only way to get away from it. Land ownership comes with its on set of challenges though lol

1 - 20 of 107 Posts