Archery Talk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
If possible I would lock your cameras and not mention any deer to anybody. As for him bringing out a buddy. That’s completely up to your dad. If he gave the uncle permission then it’s SOL. I would continue hunting it just without sharing information.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Get cell cameras and just stop answering calls and text from them. You don’t want people like that in your life, good family wouldn’t do that to you. If he asks you what’s going on, then you tell him how much of a JO he’s been.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
I would quietly go about locking the cam and see where it goes from there. If unc and cousin have an ounce of decency that should be all the message they need.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would call them both out. Its not their land, not their camera and they are over stepping their boundaries/taking advantage of you being nice. Explain to them that they need to not touch your cameras and you will share with them any pictures you choose or not.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Man I had this same issue. I put lock boxes on my cameras. Then when they confronted me about it, I asked them why they were checking my cameras in the first place. Multiple times before this they checked my cameras and cleared them. Once I caught them lying to my face I cut them off. I cant respect someone who lies to my face and takes advantage of me. It sucks but hunting brings the worse out of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I'd put a fresh card in the camera, then maneuver for a nice clear closeup shot of my middle finger filling the frame, followed by another shot of a "fly down" image, and end the show with a good tight moon shot. All nice and close, so they fill the picture, and my face isn't in any of them so they can't be used in retaliation.

Then I'd turn the camera off, so that it couldn't capture any more images of deer.

For good measure, maybe set up a second, concealed camera off to the side, set to video, to capture your uncle's reaction when he sneaks in to check that card.

But that's just me. 😎

·
Registered
23,709 Posts
The first thing I am going to mention is going to sting.....you opened Pandora's box by showing your uncle the "nice deer" photos. It was likely done with all good intentions, but as has been repeated over and over....deer make a lot of folks get really weird. Finding his ladder stand next to your camera on 20 acres was a HUGE indicator of a brewing crap-fest.....because he likely thinks you were sharing intel with him to improve his hunting. That he encouraged his son and friend to hunt your dad's 20 acres is a second indicator that he doesn't consider your hunting the property a significant issue in comparison to his own hunting enjoyment. Since you shared trail cam photos with him already, he is likely thinking that you are willing to share everything you learn with him and he is simply going to the source.

Stepping back, it is rather like an accident where you got injured and seemed in slow motion at the time. Unfortunately real life doesn't come with a "reset" button and the disrespect you feel might be just a series of assumptions your uncle has made since you showed him the initial photos. Indeed, anything you do now will likely cause a scene....hard feelings.....and you will end up the "bad guy" in your uncle and nephew's eyes. Rattlinman gave a really wise reply.....back out of there.....including your trail cams and stands....and find somewhere else for a while. Your uncle sounds like an opportunist.....once the easy stuff isn't provided....he might eventually consider it a lost cause and go elsewhere. If not, you learned some things about his character and causing a family blowup to vent your spleen is never a good course of action in the long run.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would probably explode..... family hiding your information from you! That would piss me off 10x more than any trespasser. I share photos, but never share location of said photos. I will make up a very vague location if need be. It might make me a liar, but I'm okay with that in this case.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I greatly appreciate all the feedback and have taken everything into consideration. Luckily last night I shot a dandy 8 pter shortly after my post what are the chances ?. You bet that helped calm my nerves about the situation. I removed all my cameras last night and sent him a picture stating I shot the buck out of his stand (didn’t take it out of his stand)because I was running late, very politely lol. I am going to wait until after thanksgiving and have a talk with him face to face To settle it for good , I know how misconstrued texting sometimes becomes and it rarely accomplishes anything. As you can gather the guy is a D bag and has never done a thing for anyone but himself , we have a tight knit family like most and don’t want to add any turmoil to the thanksgiving dinner table , my grandparents are in there 80s and it is the last thing they need to worry about . Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As everybody agree there is no way to handle it without causing... problems. You can remove your cameras and say no word, but I guess it’s going to make you feel uncomfortable with yourself, but if you are able to let it go and forget, that is the smartest way, even though not fair.
Many people would think “talk” is the answer, but i am sorry to admit, my only hint is the opposite “do not try to talk and take action” whether it is remove your cameras or... add a password to the shots (is it possible?)... or whatever you consider (but don’t betray yourself). But I wouldn’t try to look for understanding, justice or just common sense. Avoid talking, in my own experience in this kind of situation, it means confrontation. Imao.
Sorry I was writting when you posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One guy here had a great take on how family issues aren't worth a deer. I agree. But when you have put in the effort, those are your cameras, and your stand, its frustrating when someone just shows up and benefits without the effort.

Your uncle did a few things that would turn me off.
1) Hunted without talking to you or your dad first
2) Hung a stand on your camera site
3) Invited a stranger to come shoot one of your deer.
4) (and probably the worst in my eyes) Checked YOUR CAMERAS and kept them for himself.

I would not take that lightly. He stole from you. Plain and simple, your Uncle is a thief.

I would 100% confront the issue with him, your cousin and your dad. Take your cameras, and pull down your permanent stand. They will stop hunting that land in a couple years since the work isn't being done for them anymore.

Then you come back and keep it your secret.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow. I can only feel your pain. I hunt public and do not share any details even with my family about where I hunt. My wife and kids know where I hunt. My friends (if you want to call them that) would hunt my car and then hunt the woods where it was parked. So I started parking further away. Did nothing and said nothing. Lost every good spot I found.
Your choice. Silence is acceptance. Period.
Family matters deer do not.
A couple choices given all the good advice you have received. No one wants issues with neighbors and certainly not with family neighbors.
Talk to your father and ask to post every square inch. Do not hunt it for a year and then hunt.
This is why so much ground is posted these days. Lack of respect for other people's property.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
You need to invoke....The Peter Blunt System

·
I'm nicer than I appear
8,037 Posts
I greatly appreciate all the feedback and have taken everything into consideration. Luckily last night I shot a dandy 8 pter shortly after my post what are the chances ?. You bet that helped calm my nerves about the situation. I removed all my cameras last night and sent him a picture stating I shot the buck out of his stand (didn’t take it out of his stand)because I was running late, very politely lol. I am going to wait until after thanksgiving and have a talk with him face to face To settle it for good , I know how misconstrued texting sometimes becomes and it rarely accomplishes anything. As you can gather the guy is a D bag and has never done a thing for anyone but himself , we have a tight knit family like most and don’t want to add any turmoil to the thanksgiving dinner table , my grandparents are in there 80s and it is the last thing they need to worry about . Thanks again.
I think you are handling the situation in the most mature way possible. My only additional advice would be, don't do it at the dinner table, catch him aside, away from the family. More than likely he's going to tell you to pound sand and he'll make you look like a greedy person who doesn't want to "share" hunting rights to family land that neither of you own. say your piece, take the situation as it stands, and move on. Escalating it will not accomplish anything if he's truly the jerk you claim him to be.

Just curious, how old are you vs how old is the Uncle? Who began hunting the property first, you or Unlce? And was it a family farm that was broken up between family members?

Just trying to figure out the dynamics of your situation. Again, good luck.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
If I let you Hunt my property...do not put a stand where I have a trail cam (with my permission) do not invite you Buddy to Hunt my land (with my permission) do not touch my trail cams, they are for my info only, unless I decide to share. Too many rules broken for me.....I would just remove their stands, take the stands to them and tell the Uncle that I do not want them on our property again. You just can't be Nice to some people because they will try to take advantage of you. 20 acres is really only big enough for for 1 person to Hunt. Might want to talk to your Dad and make sure he is OK with whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
All seriousness...seems like your uncle see's you as a kid still and is taking advantage of you. Lots of good advice so far, best of luck with that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree that deer are not worth causing family issues over, in normal circumstances. This however is not a normal circumstance. It could be seen as an issue being caused over deer, but the true issue is larger than that, which is respect. Deer or no deer, what your uncle is doing is disrespectful, plain and simple. For me, respect goes a long way and is the one thing that will control my actions in a situation. Even if someone is doing something wrong, if they are respectful, it increases the chances of it being handled peacefully. Just because he is your uncle doesnt give him the right to be a disrespectful POS. I have family members that are complete dirtbags, they dont get any special treatment just because they are family, they get handled based on their actions and responses, nothing more, nothing less. Only thing I would probably refrain from doing to a family member is involving police to prosecute, but even that has limits based on the situation.

I would 100% confront him about it, see how he responds and go from there. There is a chance that things were misconstrued, its easy today with texting and email being the primary means of communication. If it becomes clear that it was intentional and not a misunderstanding, then it would be handled appropriately based on how I responded above.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would let you Dad know what’s going on. All the details from the beginning. I would NOT tell him that your thinking about not hunting there any longer.
Don’t let people take advantage of you.
I would pull all my gear off that place and start finding and hunting some new areas ASAP.
Get a good phone app and find some public or begin searching new private property for yourself to hunt.

Some people do not think. They just don’t. They are so caught up in themselves. This is the fallen world we live in.
Walk away from that property, maybe in a few seasons. It will be back to normal. They may be gone.
You have to look at things from a good perspective. This could potentially be the best thing to at ever happened. Move out into new areas.
Find amazing new spot. Learn more things, even meet new people. It can be a whole new journey for you. you may have been handicapped by hunting there to much anyhow.

If your uncle says anything or anyone of them for that matter. I would not even approach them.
I would not get nasty or mouthy. But if they do come to you. Let them know that you felt taken advantage of and where you stand. You don’t owe them anything else. Nor do you owe them an explanation actually.

Just walk away from it and take it as a learning experience. Now you know what not to do and how to handle your uncle. Or anyone else for that matter.
It’s time to start exploring. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts