Archery Talk Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would speak with your dad, ask him what he thinks you should do. That will allow you to guage his thoughts, let your dad know how upset you are. If your dad says too bad your uncle will hunt there then pull everything and find a betters spot.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Trespass him. Make him obtain your written permission to hunt there. Get the upper hand. Then when he asks “why,” lay out your evidence and start negotiations.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
First and foremost I’m a very honest and respectful person, probably too nice. That being said , I live next door to my uncle and my father owns roughly 20 acres that wraps up behind both of our homes.
Last year I decided to share some trail camera photos with him of some nice deer that I had. 2 days later he put a metal ladder stand right next to my camera. Okay whatever , I get more time to hunt than him and he has a son that is getting into hunting . It bothered me but I didn’t say a thing . Then he invites a “buddy” from work over and kills one of the good bucks that was on film. It was a good deer and his first one , good for him .

So fast forward a year ,I have another camera about 800 yards from My other camera next to a permanent stand I built. I checked the camera periodically from late October to to 2nd week of November. The camera never had any pictures on it . Figured the camera wasn’t working or the scrape it was on wasn’t getting worked at all. A couple days ago my cousin calls me and says “wow those are some nice bucks on camera up behind your house” I told him I haven’t had any and how did he know . He replied that my uncles son (15 yrs old) Sent him a picture of a buck and he recognized the spot. Long story short my uncle has been checking my camera every few days has never told me nor shared any of the photos that have been taken.
It’s more so of a kick in the nuts and I feel extremely disrespected. Am I over reacting ? It’s been eating at me and I haven’t mentioned anything to him as of yet. How should I handle it?
Hunting turns some people into real POS. Sounds like that's what your family members have turned into.

·
Registered
Pse bows, abb platinum strings, gas strings, trophy ridge sights, Black eagle arrows,
142 Posts
I understand that it’s family and I really dont care about him hunting it, he has for years and will continue . I’m more so irritated over him checking my camera multiple times without mentioning it to me or sharing what was on it . It’s the one thing I can’t wait to do is check my cams when the times comes.
why not just put a padlock on your trail cameras he should get the point

·
Registered
661 Posts
My answer - find a new place to hunt.

Any confrontation will only cause more issues between you, your Dad, your Dad's brother/your Uncle, and the nephew that told you. There isn't a single deer walking this earth that is worth family turmoil. You're already mad at the Uncle, once you confront him then your Dad is going to have to choose a side between you or his brother. Then more family will voice their opinion and in the end, it was all over a stupid deer.

is your Uncle a jerk-absolutely. Will you ever do anything for him, probably not. Has this already ruined hunting that land, I bet it has.
Would making a huge deal over it cause long-term family issues, probably. Are you willing to trade a deer for all of that? Some on here will say yes, cause they are like your Uncle.

Go find yourself a new place to hunt, remove all this crap from worry, and enjoy hunting. Good luck.
I think it is much easier tell the uncle you are hunting it and don’t want the pressure on the ground. I sure wouldn’t walk away from ground that my family owned because somebody else get the need to use it as they wished. Your uncle can decide if a deer is worth blowing the family relationship up over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
I understand that it’s family and I really dont care about him hunting it, he has for years and will continue . I’m more so irritated over him checking my camera multiple times without mentioning it to me or sharing what was on it . It’s the one thing I can’t wait to do is check my cams when the times comes.
That is some straight up BS, I would've called him on it immediately and read him the riot act. I mean really, who does that kind of crap? I know a lazy slob hunter. Not all but some hunters will take a mile when given an inch, part of the reason I am the only one hunting my property, I was always "nice" too, and finally learned my lesson. I hope it works out for you and that you end up having the whole property to yourself.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts