Votes: 34 29.3%
  • 260 fps

Votes: 51 44.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of great posts have addressed the "newbies" to bowhunting who come to this forum in search of information about equipment, hunting methods and many other things.

While NOT new to bowhunting I am still fairly new to this forum.

Look back at most the posts on equipment and the talk of speeds acheived and cost of equipment. It's pretty high , at least IMO.

I, for one, would like to make it clear to anyone, new or not that while the speed is WONDERFUl, each and every person does not need to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars in equipment to be a successful, ethical bowhunter and have an absolutely great time hunting.

How SPEED oriented are we as a whole? What is the SLOWEST speed you would hunt with and not feel "disadvantaged"??

·
Custom callmaker
3,527 Posts
I see that the 260 is winning. Are people really getting that much speed?? I mean with the heavy arrows, heads, all the string silencers, and poudage so your able to draw in the cold, etc.

I personnaly never chrono'd my set up, never really cared. But I choose 220 because I know a longbow doesn't shoot that and they take game.

So would I like 260 out of a hunting rig? of course. But would I hunt with 220
or slower, Oh Yeah, you bet!!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
The only reason not to have speed is if you can't reasonably attain it, while still maintaining accuracy, silence and shootability. Maybe you have a shoulder problem, or maybe you are hunting cape buffalo and need a HEAVY arrow, or maybe you have a very short draw etc. I can't vote because personally, I setup a shootable rig capable of killing what I am hunting, then tweak the speed, among other things.

Now, for Whitetail I wouldn't be satisfied with a rig under 260fps, because I know that I can setup a bow to do this EASILY and still keep all the qualities I look for in a good hunting bow, shootablility, silence etc. Now if I was hunting Cape Buffalo, I would be happy with a much slower bow shooting a much heavier arrow. So speed is more important for certain game and less improtant for others, but even when it is importnat it still is just one part of the equation that makes up a great hunting bow.

BTW my whitetail rig last year was a 65lbs 27.5" draw Hoyt Supertec shooting a 385grain arrow at 293fps. Worked beautifully. This year I am going to a heavier arrow in preparation for an Elk hunt in 2006. Same bow with a 450 grain arrow, probably around 270fps. Both setups were very silent, accurate and shootable.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
200 FPS average speed over 20 yds. = .300 secs

220 FPS average speed over 20 yds. = .272 secs

240 FPS average speed over 20 yds. = .250 secs

260 FPS average speed over 20 yds. = .230 secs

Speed is much over rated. Most of my shooting is within 20 yards., I really don't have any interest in speed. I would take ease of draw, ease of hold and accuracy over speed any day of the week for a hunting bow. I have a seperate 3D bow which I use for competitions.

I have the benefit of a 29" draw and like a thin, heavy arrow which flies a little slower but has plenty of momendum. I usually like to use at least 8 gpp and shoot 60ish pounds with 80% let-off.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Lets put it this way - I couldn't vote because your poll doesn't go high enough...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Really hard to answer. It depends on the situation; particularly the animal and the environment. I took my best buck at around 196 fps. Currently I'm shooting 280 fps with a 375 gr arrow and 62 lbs draw weight (for whitetails). Speed is nice especially if you're looking much beyond 20 yards. However, I think it's comical how some people get on here and claim, "My bow is better than yours because it shoots 8 fps faster." I'd rather shoot something I shoot well and feel comfortable with. I think it tends to be young guys, for the most part, that get really wrapped up in speed. It's kind of like fast cars. When I was 18, I wanted a Corvette. I wouldn't buy one now if I was a millionaire. I wouldn't mind a new truck though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All threads are appreciated!

I appreciate any and all comments, however, the majority of those viewing......are not voting.

I left this poll open for two weeks.

I should have made it explicit that I meant for bowhunting deer. Here in Indiana I sometimes fail to "think" about rigs some may consider for bigger game.

I will return this ttt for a few days till numbers of votes increase. I would really appreciate a good number of votes regardless if you post a comment or not.

thanks to ALL! :smile:

·
Custom callmaker
3,527 Posts
But wasn't the poll, "How slow WOULD you go". Now I would go down to almost rock throwing speed as long as I feel confident the arrow is going to kill with a high percentage.

Now speed is good, but I will hunt no matter what the speed.

·
Banned
942 Posts
I don't believe I have ever hunted with a bow that shoots 260. Might have, never shot one through a clock. If I were to guess, I'd guess my three bows that are getting used now are all shooting around 250, maybe a tad less.

Course I also don't know how much my arrows weigh. I do know my b h's are 125 grain. They hit where I want them to and seem to kill pretty good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The best post on here is the first answer. Quietness beats speed any day. I don't know of a modern bow that won't kill a deer if the shot is placed right and the broadhead is sharp and the arrow flies straight.
Speed is too hyped and if you'll notice, most major manufacturers are getting away from getting into a speed war.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
as someone who still hunts with traditional equipment speed is not as important as making sure you can put the arrow in the right spot at a confident distance

i don't care if you have a bow that slams a paper target over 300 fps if you can't make the shot it won't matter.

i know speed and k.e. work hand and hand but i will always favor having adequate k.e. vs speed.

·
Banned
1,786 Posts
Speed?

HELLO OUT THERE!!!!!!!! Bowhunting has been around 50,OOO YEARS!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone think they knew the speed? Speed is a stupid issue as far as bowhunting goes. Even Fred Bears' Father shot a deer in the neck at 25 yards away and killed it at what lbs? How about 30!!!!!!!
How fat would a native A,aericans bow? Who knows? who cares? They KNEW HOW TO HUNT........not KILL mind you, BUT HUNT!!!!!!! DUH. Are we as bowhunters more out of tune with nature, more worried about the KILL and not the hunt!!!! What are you, me and US doing this for, fun or ego?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Sorry, but I think there is a problem with the poll. It's not an easy question to answer: it just depends. I would certainly go to 200 fps, but why? My bow is quiet, accurate and shoots 280 fps at only 62 lbs. I would have no problem going lower, but I'm not sure what conditions it would take to make me do so. I'd like to take a deer with a longbow some day, but if I'm shooting a compound, I have no reason to slow it down. I guess if I had a shoulder injury, I might drop down to 45 lbs and still be out there.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
toxo said:
HELLO OUT THERE!!!!!!!! Bowhunting has been around 50,OOO YEARS!!!!!!!!!
Does anyone think they knew the speed? Speed is a stupid issue as far as bowhunting goes.
Indians knew alot more about their equipment than you give them credit for. They knew which species of wood made the most durable arcehry equipment, held up the best and was most accurate. They knew all the uniques charactreristics of certain species of wood, in addition to what natural string materials and bow design produced the flattest shooting(speed) hunting arrows. Check out an indian museum sometime, I think you would be surprised and impressed with their knowledge of their archery tackle.

·
Banned
942 Posts
When I first started bowhunting, I guess the last thing ever mentioned was arrow speed. In fact, now that I think about it, it was never mentioned. We just learned to shoot and judge distance.

It's a freakin wonder we ever killed anything. :sad:

·
Registered
123 Posts
There is no way I'm going to believe, the majority of people are shooting bows over 260fps while hunting. Everyone is probably just looking at what the manufacturer advertised there bow at, which we all know is way off in the real world.

This thread has become an archery pissing contest.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.