Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For bowhunters only, how straight are your arrows that you use for deer, hog, elk, or bear hunting? I am shooting a set of arrows with a straightness factor of 0.005" and perfectly happy. Why would I want to spend $90 for a dozen 0.001" for bowhunting? Am I missing something here? Thanks for any feedback on this issue. Finally, this thread has nothing to do with crossbows.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just can't let it die can you arkie:D :D ..Just kidding,Since I'm not a great competition shooter like LX-Shooter and some of these other guys,I expect your arrow tolerance would be just fine for me.I'm more of a gettin'it done from the treestand kind of guy.But I'm sure some of the really good shooters can tell the difference.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Arkie the forge company has a new carbon arrow out that has a straightness tolerance of .00145 and 1 grain per dozen in variance.Thats the straightes arrows out there better than even accs or any other brand and they are only $79.99. I think you would see a diffrence in these but not from a .003 t0 .006. I just my have to try them. But I love my Goldtips.

Forge bow co. 414-732-7400 web site ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I personally wouldn't shoot an arrow that had anything over .003" straightness for anything - let alone hunt with one... This is not meant as a put down towards those who would, just stating my preference... Some of the arrows that have tolerances looser than .003" also have some pretty wide grain/dozen tolerances - I feel THAT presents more of a potential accuracy problem than their straightness tolerances does... The Gold Tip XT's I'm currently shooting(and hunting with) have a straightness of .003, and I've yet to have any that were more than 3 grains apart in finished weight - that's close enough for me, and I'm only paying approx. $60 to $65 per dozen shafts... These are a very durable arrow of good quality, for a reasonable cost - I'd HIGHLY recommend them to any hunter...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
882 Posts
OK boys I am going to jump in on this one. First most bow hunters do not group as well as any arrow out there, not a put down just a fact as I see it every day. At 20 yards 10 grains of difference is hardley noticable. If you don't believe it try some different weight points and see. Last consistant spine is WAY more important than being within a few thousands of an inch. Do the testing we have for many years. Check the spine on your arrows, it is very easy to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
.001" on my Browning carbons.
.0015 on the XX-78s (when they're brand new)

I'm sure a "looser" straightness factor would be (and has been) plenty acceptable for me to kill a whitetail. But these arrows are what work really well for me. And if it ain't broke........I ain't fixin' it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Joe Barbieur said:
Check the spine on your arrows, it is very easy to do.
Joe, could you tell us the correct, easy way to do this? Thanks,

·
Registered
882 Posts
Sure, Static spine is tested using a 880 gram weight (about 2 pounds). Take a 29" arrow and sespend it between two points that are 28" apart. Hang the weight in the middle. With a dial indicator measure the amount of bend. The more the bend the weaker the spine. Rotate the arrow, with aluminium you may find a samll difference at the weld. You can change the spine of the arrow with different point weights. That spine is called Dynamic spine. That is the force that is applied when the arrow is shot. The energy from the bow is transfered to the arrow.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
arkie said:
For bowhunters only, how straight are your arrows that you use for deer, hog, elk, or bear hunting? I am shooting a set of arrows with a straightness factor of 0.005" and perfectly happy. Why would I want to spend $90 for a dozen 0.001" for bowhunting? Am I missing something here? Thanks for any feedback on this issue. Finally, this thread has nothing to do with crossbows.
OHHH, DID YOU SAY CROSSBOW???:D :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like .001 run out ,when im shooting Traditional Heads,like my Snuffers.If you use anything above.003,you will see the effect's,at least i do.With anything above .004,i seriously doubt,that you would see any difference,while using Mechanicals,or small Broadheads.like the Bacon Skinner.Ive had Snuffers that were impossible to index,to the Shaft,and it was because i skimped on the Straightness factor.Doesn't matter how carefull you are to align your Broadhead adapter to the Head,if the shaft is way out,all your prep time,is for naught.JMO.Good Hunting!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't use anything over a .003 straightness, I have tied arrows with a .005 and .006 straightness and I can really tell a difference with my grouping.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much of a difference was your groupings?

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
The shafts I shoot have a .002 straightness and are $80 a dozen.

I pity those who say "for competition shoots the .001s are a max for me but a .006 for hunting is fine".

I look at it like this. Accuracy in shooting at a live animal is far more important to me than accuracy on a target in a tournament. We owe everything in our ability to ensure that animal dies quick and cleanly with our arrow shot placement. Accuracy should be MORE criticial in hunting than competition.

That said. I second what was said about it being more of the weight tolerances found in the shafts .004+. Some can vary as much as 15-20 grains from shaft to shaft. Now you tell me THAT can't be noticed while shooting.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
as mine are cut they are a.004 straightness. and i am very happy with that
rob k

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Mine are .0015":) Can I tell the difference between them and my .002's? NO. Can I tell between them and my .005's? He11 ya I can.:p Especially with broadheads. Aluminum is generally straighter and more consistant in spine and weight than carbons are.:rolleyes: Just something to think about.

·
Registered
852 Posts
"Aluminum is generally straighter and more consistant in spine and weight than carbons are. Just something to think about."

No disrespect intended, but I'm not sure I agree with that statement... It may be true of the higher quality alums vs the lower end carbons, but not of any of the decent carbons... And try checking the straightness of your alums after they've been pulled from a fairly solid target a few times - you do sight in with your broadheads, and shoot each and every hunting arrow for true flight, don't you??? I KNOW my carbons will continue to stay straight, no matter how many times they've been shot and pulled - not to mention the occasional "tweek" in a hunting quiver...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
118 Posts
ACC

I shoot ACC/3-60 and Kinetic II, both are .003" in straightness tolerance. Weight tolerance is a bit closer on the 3-60. I guess all that straightness and weight tolerance stuff doesn't mean much of anything if they don't perform though. In my case, they have performed, I've tried numerous carbons and have found these two work the best...for me... while tuning fixed broadheads. I spend a lot of money on hunting trips and don't want to compromise anything by choosing another arrow that might cost a few dollars less. Like was said in the original post- "I am perfectly happy". :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just to add, We just did a 20 yard test. The bow was an AR at 53#. The arrow a 200 PSE camo carbon dominator. Shooting 125 and100 grain points mixed so the shooter did not what point he shot. He is an "average" shooter. The 100 impacted around the X and the 125 impacted at the bottom of the white. About a 1" difference at 20 yards. I will say it again, MOST bow hunters can not shoot that well, MOST bow hunters are happy in a 6" circle at 20 yards. If you are going to tell me thsat you can notice the difference at 20 yards with 5 grains of weight diffference I say you are full of yourself or you shoot an average of 58 X on a 300 round.:D

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Joe, with all due respect, I was talking about straitness and spine consistancy, not 5 grains of weight.:) I shoot fingers and spine is more of a factor with all the side pressure on the arrow. Aluminums have worked better for me. I did not say they were better for everyone or every set up.;) George, to get the same.002 that the medium grade XX75 camo hunters have, I would have to go to an A/C/E or an X-10. They are the best that easton makes and are both ACC's. The straightest pure carbon they make is .004, the straightest aluminum they make is .001. Argue if you will, but those are Facts.:D Shoot Strait.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts