Archery Talk Forum banner

How straight??

824 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  ajparr
I'm looking to buy new arrows. Just how straight do they need to be? In my why of thinking aerodynamics and spine is more important then straightness. Maybe I'm all washed up but a couple of thousands of an inch, how much will that change the point of impact?

I'm not the greatest shot but I do shoot to 70 yards at a range for fun.

What is you opinion/ experience?
Thanks Todd
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,588 Posts
arrows

"just how straight do they need to be"

I think the most important thing is how consistently they are the "same". Take a couple dozen arrows and compare the consistency of weight and straightness tolerances.

· Registered
2,616 Posts
You can get away with a less straight arrow if you are limiting your self to field points. However, when you throw a fixed blade head on your arrow and lets say your are shooting an arrow at PROPER spine for your bow at 50 yards and this arrow has a straightness of .006, your groups probably will not be as consistent as a .001 arrow because of the broadheads. And that is with proper spine arrow. Fixed blade broadheads point out any flaws in ones form or arrow spine issue. Now you might be able to get away with a .006 arrow with field points, but I would not recommend them with broadheads.

It always helps when you are cutting your arrows, if you cut them a certain way by cutting and squaring them, that can help improve arrow consistency and straightness as well. Remember having the perfect arrow spine for your bow is more important than anything.

Good luck! :thumbs_up

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
IMO.......arrows just can't be "too straight" or "too consistent". We wouldn't want to shoot a crooked bow all the time, why shoot crooked arrows.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
I try not to buy anything past .003 , for instants my Ultralight 400's are .003 My arrows are 26 inches so I cut that out of the middle of the raw shaft . A Gold Tip rep. suggested this over spending the money for the Ultralight Pro's . Seemed to think it made the arrows closer to the .001 tolerance of the pros . Seems to work for me .............. but I am not saying this is 100% accurate on making the shaft staighter , but it works for me :thumbs_up

· Registered
3,469 Posts
I try not to buy anything past .003 , for instants my Ultralight 400's are .003 My arrows are 26 inches so I cut that out of the middle of the raw shaft . A Gold Tip rep. suggested this over spending the money for the Ultralight Pro's . Seemed to think it made the arrows closer to the .001 tolerance of the pros . Seems to work for me .............. but I am not saying this is 100% accurate on making the shaft staighter , but it works for me :thumbs_up

That is exactly what I do too. I was told by one of arrow reps that doing that helps getting an arrow closer to say .001 from .003. I personally have never noticed a difference even in broadhead flight. I have arrows that .006 all the way to .0008 (Trophy Ridge Crush). Most inconsistencies in arrows are at the ends so if you take equal amounts off of each end you will get a straighter arrow. How much I don't know but I still do it anyway.

· Registered
2,688 Posts
You are so right when cutting your arrows cut from both ends, ex: if you need to take off 4" take off 2" off both ends. Now for a lessen in spine, if I shoot EX: a .010" straight arrow with a zero or near that (no one makes that) spine I will and so will most shoot better than a .0001 straightness with an inconsitant spine. (spelling?) I have found that easton and victory has some of the best (I guess I should stock victory) See my sig and now you know why a lot of shooters are now using axis, not because of the straightness but because of spine.:thumbs_up

· Registered
6,098 Posts
You know I dont really care about straightness. I used to spend 120 bucks on Carbon Express on +/-.001 arrows and truthfully they shoot just as good as 50 dollor Gold Tips which are +/-.006 im shooting now. I really dont think the straightness effects the arrow flight that much, and I still have no problem shooting out to 60 yards.

· Registered
65 Posts
You know I dont really care about straightness. I used to spend 120 bucks on Carbon Express on +/-.001 arrows and truthfully they shoot just as good as 50 dollor Gold Tips which are +/-.006 im shooting now. I really dont think the straightness effects the arrow flight that much, and I still have no problem shooting out to 60 yards.
I only difference I can tell between goldtip pro hunters .001, and the expeditions .006 is about $60 a dozen. They will both shoot as good as I can out to 50 yards with a 100 gr. muzzy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.