Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jack had placed me on stand as he was the one who had done what little scouting had been done. I could hear the birds darting in & out of the standing corn & the dew dripping off it's leaves. It was about an hour after sunrise when I looked to my left & saw the Doe, looking my way, less that 20 yards. I started to draw my Bow just as she leaped into the field & started to trot. She was under 25 yards when my arrow zipped past her & she bolted into high gear. I watched her run the entire length of that field into the opposite timber. I walked out & to my surprise find my arrow buried into the ground. I walked back to my spot in the corn & my teeth start chattering & I start shaking. I missed 3 more shots that season. It was Illinois first EVER Deer Season, Oct., 1957 & I was 15 years old. I say I started Archery in 1956 as that is when I joined a club & bought my 1st real bow but I cannot remember not having some type home made arrow slinger. This Oct. will start my 62nd year of Archery & 60th of Biggame bowhunting. I have been on an awesome journey. I have been blessed with a ton of assorted Biggame DIY bowhunts in 15 states + 8 guided & experienced a wide variety of other things involving Archery/bowhunting. I enjoyed many years of competition in my younger years with some pretty good success & even contributed to the sport by holding local & state office's regarding Archery organizations. I shared my love of archery for 18 years as a shop/lanes owner too (1964-1982). In 1958, Illinois second Deer season & opening weekend I arrowed my 1st Whitetail (a yearling Doe) with a wooden arrow I made myself & tipped with a MA3 blade. I've experienced so many changes (good & bad) over these many years. I have been fortunate to have met so many great people through archery & formed many friendships, true friendships. It's not about who shot the highest score or the biggest rack, it's the joy of the journey & those we share it with. If you enjoy your ride half us much as I have, you'll be a happy camper. My longevity has allowed me to share Archery/Bowhunting with my Son, Daughter & 6 G-kids. I am truly blessed. Good luck to you if your a competitor & good luck on your quests this coming Deer season.. When did your journey begin?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Nicely written, thank you for posting. I was the first in my family to start bowhunting, now the only one left hunting.. today as much love for it as the first season - 1984.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Cool post, just started my 31st season this spring, and it was a good start, killed a giant brown color phase scoring 21 7/16

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You always have some great posts. I got my first bow around kindergarten ion 95/96, first bow season was 2001. My journey started long after yours began, so I don’t have the great stories that you do yet.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great post! I was a gun hunter for several years before I started to bow hunt. I was just wanted to extend my deer season but soon fell in love with the challenge and flight of the arrow.

I still gun hunt with my boys but my real passion is bowhunting.

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carcus-awesome & congratulations. That IS A BEAR. I have 2, 1 is 18 12/16" I baited & did my self & the other is an even 19" I took in Quebec.. My DIY 1980 is a rug (6'4" nose to tail) black & White photo. My Canada 19" I fully mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Most archers would be thrilled to have experienced 1/2 what you have done.... including me.
Love reading your writings John

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bucknut. We had a great time at the AT Goat gathering in 2010. Even wrote a story about it that was published.. DIY public land.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Good times

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Started in 1959 14 years old & friend lend me a Eddings recurve to use. I enjoyed so much went out & got a Stag Horn
recurve & shot them till 1970 when started shooting Astro Bows & in 71 went to work for them. Bow hunted deer since 59 & killed my first buck spike in 62. Shot competition till early 80's when working in archery & trying to play it just doesn't work, but did continue to bow hunt & still do to this day.This year will be my 59 year bow hunting, have hunted 7 different states & have made 47 out of state DIY bowhunts.
Like ahunter55 said been very blessed to have been able to bowhunt for so many years & some many different places.
Have been to 9 out door NFAA national & I believe 22 Vagas shoots but not competitive enough to place in any of the events.
Hope to have many more years of bowhunting & to shoot in spot tournaments indoor & outdoor field. Have many friends
that have meet in archery. Has been a fantastic ride.

·
3%er
3,635 Posts
Great story ahunter 55....I remember using the MA3 broadheads. I started archery in 1971 thanks to a great man by the name of Herb Hale. He was over 90 when I found out about him from my mom who did his wifes hair. Using paper route and lawn mowing money, I bought a Damon Howatt recurve from him in his back room shop. He made me a dozen cedar arrows with that MA3 blade, and a fiberglass fishing arrow. He loved to bow fish and took me a couple times to Pryor creek where there were some large pools to sit and watch. He sat in a chair and I was moving all over, yet he nailed way more than me. He had old pics on the wall of alligator gar that draped over both sides of a pick up bed. Several deer also, and I knew that there were not many around in his youth. He told me that after you hit 90 things start going downhill! Man, he was active for his age! Sure missed going to his backroom shop and hearing some great stories and learning about bows. Think he passed at 94. I finally killed my 1st bow deer in 1982. Had killed several with a gun, but after that 1st bow deer I was totally hooked and for the most part lost interest hunting deer with a gun.

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kballer. My first real bow was an Eddings Cadet & what I killed that 1st deer with. Local shop sold them & guessing 2/3rd of the club shot them. Fireball was one of the favorites. I sold many an Astro also & met George a few times. I had an Astro Recurve Target with a wrinkle paint & a lavender handle that George said he could never duplicate (1 of a kind I guess). My 1st horns came from Ws. in 1964, a 1x2 with a Pearson. I have no idea how many trips I have made to your state bowhunting. Still my favorite state to bowhunt Deer.
B4L Okie-I took several animals with those MA3 blades & today I still use a fixed 3 blade.
Pics. 1st hog MA3 1965, 1st Horns Ws., 1964, 1st Deer 1958 MA3 & that Eddings Cadet.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had an awesome journey, for sure with all the adventures I have been blessed with. I started my son at age 5 as that is what he said he wanted to do. His journey has been pretty good too as I have been ale to take him several places. Wisconsin , Colorado, Texas & even Caribou in Quebec when he was 16. He has become a bowhunter in his own now & I am happy to say, darn good shooter. Now, his kids are starting..

Attachments

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My sons daughter is joining the family ranks as an archer. Son says she's a natural. She has tagged along to 3-Ds & been a score keeper. I guess she got tired of that.. One more to enjoy fun times at 3-Ds. G=Pa will have to help her tweek that form.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got a phone call today from an officer in the Iowa State Archery Assn. & was asked if I would do their State Assns magazine. I accepted & after a break in on the format for the Iowa State Archery Assn.,s membership publication, The Arrow Hound, I'll be doing it. Long ago I did a Archery column for a state wildlife distributed sports paper & truly enjoyed it + several other things I penned over the years. This will be different but still looking forward to a new challenge. Their past editor resigned.

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Well, I got a phone call today from an officer in the Iowa State Archery Assn. & was asked if I would do their State Assns magazine. I accepted & after a break in on the format for the Iowa State Archery Assn.,s membership publication, The Arrow Hound, I'll be doing it. Long ago I did a Archery column for a state wildlife distributed sports paper & truly enjoyed it + several other things I penned over the years. This will be different but still looking forward to a new challenge. Their past editor resigned.
Congrats young man... you'll do well

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks. I'm sure it will be interesting & fun.

·
Registered
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Deer season winding down & thoughts turning to indoor as the journey continues. Looks like tag soup for me this year. Son took a Doe so I'm guessing I will have some venison

1 - 20 of 21 Posts